Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Greene, Other Right-Wing
GOPers Picked for Committees
Jan 18, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Greene, Other Right-Wing GOPers Picked for Committees
Greene will sit on Oversight, Homeland Security panels if OKed; Gosar, Santos also selected for seats
- It's been noted that Marjorie Taylor Greene is vying for more of a power position within the Republican Party, and it looks like she just made some headway. The Hill reports the Georgia congresswoman was selected Tuesday by the GOP-led House Steering Committee to sit on the Homeland Security...
Prosecutors: She Tried
a Bit Too Hard to Help
Spouse Into Office
Jan 13, 2023 2:09 PM CST
Prosecutors: She Tried a Bit Too Hard to Help Spouse Into Office
Iowa woman accused of election fraud, trying to help candidate—her husband—win his elections
- Candidates for political office usually expect their spouses to back them up in their run, but one GOP contender's wife in Iowa may have gone a little too far in her zeal for his candidacy. The
Des Moines Register
reports that the Justice Department on Thursday announced charges against...
House GOPer Sends Letter
to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Jan 12, 2023 10:40 AM CST
House GOPer Sends Letter to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Republicans have started their probe into president's son, as well as into Joe Biden's finances
- In October, federal agents announced they'd gathered enough evidence to justify charging Hunter Biden with crimes. Now, House Republicans have jump-started their long-desired investigation of the president's son, as well as the involvement of ex-Twitter employees in handling reporting on him. Per the Hill , a letter sent Wednesday...
Calls Out Trump
Dec 23, 2022 2:58 PM CST
McConnell Calls Out Trump on Midterms, Vows Changes
Senate minority leader promises to get behind 'quality candidates' for 2024, calls ex-president 'diminished'
- Donald Trump was panned by pundits after the midterms, with one even calling him the "biggest loser" of the November elections after many of the candidates he endorsed struggled, fending off the red wave that Republicans had hoped for. Now, one of his party's biggest congressional names is...
Tearful Plea Against
Dec 10, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Nephew Slams GOP Lawmaker's Tearful Plea Against Gay Marriage
Andrew Hartzler's video goes viral for calling out 'Aunt Vicky' over Respect for Marriage Act vote
- A GOP congresswoman made a tearful plea this week to fellow House members to vote against the Respect for Marriage Act , which offers federal protections for same-sex and interracial marriages, and a response from a member of her own family has now gone viral. On Thursday, Rep. Vicky Hartzler of...
Kari Lake Sues
to Overturn Election Loss
Dec 10, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Kari Lake Sues to Overturn Election Loss
Trump ally makes good on promise to challenge Katie Hobbs' win as Arizona's next governor
- Kari Lake promised last month that her fight for the Arizona governorship wasn't over, and on Friday she made good on that promise. The Trump ally filed a civil complaint Friday in Maricopa County that, per ABC News , seeks "unprecedented and likely unlawful relief of fully overturning the...
Mistake on Biden
Dec 1, 2022 11:54 AM CST
Gingrich: Republicans Making Big Mistake on Biden
He warns that the GOP keeps underestimating the president, and losing as a result
- Newt Gingrich has drawn one clear lesson for Republicans from the midterms: They "must learn to quit underestimating President Joe Biden." The former House speaker notes in an op-ed at Gingrich 360 that Republicans have a lot of fun depicting the 80-year-old as a doddering old man. "...
'NeverKevins' Deal Another
Blow to McCarthy's Speaker Bid
Nov 23, 2022 9:35 AM CST
'NeverKevins' Deal Another Blow to McCarthy's Speaker Bid
Ralph Norman is 5th Republican to doubt him
- A fifth Republican has expressed opposition to California Rep. Kevin McCarthy as speaker, promising there are "many more who will take our position." GOP Rep. Ralph Norman of South Carolina, who's with the House Freedom Caucus, told Politico on Tuesday that he would be a "hard"...
Michael Moore Talks About
His Accurate Midterms Call
Nov 14, 2022 2:21 PM CST
Michael Moore Talks About His Accurate Midterms Call
Filmmaker predicted correctly that no red wave would materialize
- As of Monday afternoon, the fate of next year's House remained up in the air. However, the
New York Times
reports that Democrats' hopes of keeping majority control appear to have dimmed over the weekend. In particular, they missed targets in Arizona and California districts, writes Nate Cohn. "...
There Was No Red Wave,
'That's for Darn Sure'
Nov 9, 2022 7:03 AM CST
There Was No Red Wave, 'That's for Darn Sure'
GOP could still take House and Senate, but Democrats will be breathing easier Wednesday morning
- Was it a red wave? A bluenami? The consensus, it seems, is neither. As Lindsey Graham announced just before 11pm ET Tuesday on NBC News, it's "definitely not a Republican wave, that's for darn sure." Some reaction to early midterm results:
Trump Has a New
Nickname for Ron DeSantis
Nov 8, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Trump Has a New Nickname for Ron DeSantis
'Ron DeSanctimonious' was Trump's swipe, after GOP senator's video appealing to core Trump base
- A new video from Ron DeSantis' campaign hints at national ambitions for the Florida governor—to the ire of Donald Trump, who's expected to announce his presidential campaign this month. Shared Friday on Twitter by DeSantis' wife, Casey DeSantis, "the 96-second video invokes God 10 times and suggests...
The Cardboard Box
Just Got Political
Oct 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
The Cardboard Box Just Got Political
ProPublica reports on how owners of giant Uline have become No. 1 GOP donors
- If asked to name the No. 1 federal campaign donors to Republicans ahead of the midterms, it's possible that even veteran political observers would get it wrong: The correct answer is Dick and Liz Uihlein of Illinois, reports ProPublica . The Uihleins run the giant private company Uline, which supplies...
Oct 21, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Dems Had the Momentum. It's Seemingly Vanished
David Brooks takes a pre-midterms look at why
- Over the summer, Democrats seemed poised to ride a wave of momentum into the midterms, thanks to falling gas prices, a public outcry on gun safety after the mass shooting in Uvalde, and the overturning of Roe v. Wade. But "the momentum didn't survive the fall," writes...
GOP Defense of
Oct 7, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Reaction to GOP Defense of Herschel Walker: 'Um, What?'
Newt Gingrich's comments turned into punchlines
- That Georgia Senate candidate Herschel Walker reportedly encouraged and paid for an ex's abortion doesn't seem to matter to a party that's working to outlaw the procedure. Republicans have come out in defense of the first-time candidate also plagued by allegations of domestic violence and physical abuse,...
Here We Go
the 'Furries in
Oct 5, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Here We Go Again With the 'Furries in Schools' Rumors
Heidi Ganahl, GOP candidate for governor in Colo., is spreading the largely debunked claim
- Heidi Ganahl really doesn't like furries, explained by KRDO as a "subculture that often involves people dressing up as anthropomorphic animal characters and attending conventions." So much so that the GOP candidate for governor in Colorado says she moved her kids out of one district and into...
It's Been a
Wild 24 Hours
Oct 4, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
First a media accusation on a purported abortion, then a string of accusations from his son
- Since announcing his run for Senate in Georgia, Republican candidate Herschel Walker has been dogged by claims that he threatened an ex-wife , lied about his credentials, and criticized absentee fathers while being one himself . Now, in a new allegation of hypocrisy, the former football star who backs a total ban...
Report Card Is Out.
One Party Got Mostly F's
Sep 23, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
NRA's Congressional Report Card Is Out. One Party Got Mostly F's
For first time in 25 years, not a single Dem candidate received an A from gun rights group
- It's not terribly surprising that Democrats running for Congress this year received a dismal report card from the National Rifle Association, as they tend to be much more critical of the gun rights advocacy organization than their Republican counterparts. What makes this year's candidate ratings from the NRA'...
Sep 23, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
GOP Unveils Its Midterm Agenda
McCarthy rolls out Republicans' 'Commitment to America,' focusing on economy, border security
- House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy on Friday directly confronted President Biden and the party in power, choosing battleground Pennsylvania to unveil a midterm election agenda with sweeping Trump-like promises, despite the House GOP's sometimes spotty record of delivering and governing in Congress. McCarthy, who's poised to seize the...
Sep 12, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
GOP Senators Slam Trump's 'Inappropriate' Pardons Remark
Graham, Romney, others blast Jan. 6 comment; Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley thread the needle
- Earlier this month, former President Trump told a conservative radio host that, if he were elected to the Oval Office again, he'd offer "full pardons," along with a public apology to many of those who'd stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6. Turns out a few GOP...
Trump Are Lying, Cruz Says
Sep 11, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Republicans Dismissing Trump Are Lying, Cruz Says
'The whole world will change' when former president announces whether he'll run, senator argues
- Sen. Ted Cruz is thinking about running for president in 2024 and already seems weary of tough talk from his potential rivals. "There are a lot of candidates out there feeling their oats and boasting, 'I'm running no matter what. I don't care what Donald Trump...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.