Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
GOP Congressman Who Made
'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Oct 4, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
GOP Congressman Who Made 'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Mo.'s Todd Akin, who made inflammatory comment about abortion and women's bodies, has died at 74
- Former US Rep. Todd Akin, a conservative Missouri Republican whose comment that women's bodies have a way of avoiding pregnancies in cases of "legitimate rape" sunk his bid for the US Senate, and who became a cautionary tale for other GOP candidates, died late Sunday. He was 74....
Trump, McConnell's Icy
Relationship Just Got Icier
Sep 20, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
Trump, McConnell's Icy Relationship Just Got Icier
'WSJ' report says former president is seeking GOPers to challenge the ex-Senate majority leader
- If you've been wondering about Sen. Mitch McConnell's standing in the eyes of former President Trump—well, it doesn't appear to be too high. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Trump has been gunning for the Senate minority leader from Kentucky, working behind the scenes to find...
GOP Official Mocked COVID.
5 Days Later, He Was Dead
Aug 6, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
GOP Official Mocked COVID. 5 Days Later, He Was Dead
45-year-old Scott Apley was a Dickinson City Council member in Texas
- A 45-year-old Texas GOP official who openly mocked face masks, quarantining , and the coronavirus vaccine has died of COVID. Per a GoFundMe campaign, Dickinson City Council and State Republican Executive Committee member Scott Apley died early Wednesday. He'd been hospitalized in Galveston since Sunday after being admitted with "...
Okla. GOP Chief Not Backing
Down on Holocaust Reference
Aug 2, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Okla. GOP Chief Not Backing Down on Holocaust Reference
John Bennett posted a Star of David on Facebook with 'unvaccinated' written on it
- The new head of Oklahoma's GOP is comparing vaccine mandates by private companies to the Holocaust, and he's not backing down against the outcry about his remarks. The
reports that John Bennett, a former state congressman, first put up a post Friday on the Oklahoma Republican Party'...
Agree on This
Jul 28, 2021 8:32 AM CDT
Republicans and Democrats Agree on This
They view the Supreme Court evenly, and not especially well
- Just 49% of Americans approve of the performance of the Supreme Court, down from 58%—a 10-year high— a year ago . That's according to a Gallup poll conducted from July 6 to 21 and released Wednesday. It brings the court's first approval rating below 50% since 2017, per...
Now Regrets Bashing Trump
Jul 6, 2021 7:53 AM CDT
Author Now Regrets Bashing Trump
JD Vance, now a Senate candidate, says he was wrong about the 'good president'
- JD Vance, author of
, has announced his bid to replace retiring Republican Sen. Rob Portman in Ohio's 2022 Senate election, and is now walking back past criticism of former President Trump. "Like a lot of people, I criticized Trump back in 2016," the Republican venture...
Report: In 2nd
of a Pressure
Jul 3, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Report: In 2nd State, Records of a Pressure Campaign
Paper has records of texts, calls made by Trump, allies to Ariz. GOPers over election results
- Newly released records show the top Republicans in Arizona's largest county dodged calls from Donald Trump and his allies after the 2020 election, as the then-president sought to prevent the certification of Joe Biden's victory in key battleground states. The records—including voicemails and texts—shed light on...
Nikki Haley Reverts
to Praising Trump
Jun 25, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Nikki Haley Reverts to Praising Trump
Former UN ambassador may require the support of his base in 2024
- Nikki Haley maintained that former President Trump was truthful and entirely fit for office during her tenure as his UN ambassador before flipping after the Capitol riot. Trump "lost any sort of political viability," she said earlier this year. "He went down a path he shouldn’t...
Man Who Pulled Gun on
Protesters Has Big News
May 19, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Man Who Pulled Gun on Protesters Has Big News
St. Louis' Mark McCloskey is running for Senate, decrying 'cancel culture' and 'lie of systemic racism'
- One half of the couple who brandished guns at racial injustice protesters outside their St. Louis mansion last year is now running for Senate. Personal injury lawyer Mark McCloskey, a Republican, announced his candidacy Tuesday during an interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson. "God came knocking on my door...
Lawmakers Agree to Deal
to Investigate Capitol Attack
May 14, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
Lawmakers Agree to Deal to Investigate Capitol Attack
House could vote on proposed bipartisan commission next week
- House lawmakers have reached a bipartisan deal to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, and it does not include a look at violence alleged to have come from left-wing groups last summer, as some Republicans had hoped. The proposed 10-person commission would focus only on the attack...
Caitlyn Jenner Caught in
Fib About Voting Record
May 12, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Caitlyn Jenner Caught in Fib About Voting Record
She said she didn't vote in 2020, but records show otherwise
- Caitlyn Jenner told CNN on Tuesday that she "didn't even vote" in November's presidential election. "Out here in California, it's like, why vote for a Republican president?" she said from her home in Malibu, Calif., adding she didn't have a position on 12 measures...
May 6, 2021 1:02 PM CDT
Liz Cheney's Possible Successor Weighs In
Rep. Elise Stefanik stresses her support of Trump amid GOP political drama
- GOP Rep. Elise Stefanik has emerged as a leading contender to replace Liz Cheney in the No. 3 spot among House Republicans, and on Thursday she helped strengthen that case on her own behalf during an interview with Steve Bannon. Coverage:
The 36-year-old New York congresswoman stressed her support for
GOP Opposition Ends
Greene's 'America First' Plan
Apr 18, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
GOP Opposition Ends Greene's 'America First' Plan
Caucus statement supported 'Anglo-Saxon' traditions, including European architecture
- There won't be an "America First" caucus in the US House after all. Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene let go of the idea in the face of quick, broad opposition from members of both parties to the group's apparent founding document. Greene then tried to put space...
Poll on Capitol Attack
Reveals a 'Huge Problem'
Apr 5, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Poll on Capitol Attack Reveals a 'Huge Problem'
Reuters survey: Half of Republicans say it was mostly peaceful; 80% of Dems say otherwise
- It's been almost three months to the day since the Capitol attack , and in its wake, former President Trump and his allies, as well as members of the conservative media, have "publicly painted a picture of the day's events jarringly at odds with reality," as Reuters...
by 6 Votes
Mar 31, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Iowa Candidate Accepts Loss by 6 Votes
Republicans were beginning to go after other Democrats over the issue
- In the face of GOP threats to go after at-risk Democrats in races around the country, Rita Hart has withdrawn a challenge of her six-vote loss last November to Iowa Rep. Mariannette Miller-Meeks. A recount of the almost 400,000 ballots had confirmed Miller-Meeks' victory, the closest US race since...
5th GOP Senator
Says He'll Retire
Mar 8, 2021 9:47 AM CST
5th GOP Senator Says He'll Retire
Roy Blunt of Missouri won't run for reelection in 2022
- Roy Blunt on Monday became the fifth Republican senator to announce that he's calling it quits. The 71-year-old Missouri lawmaker said in a tweeted video that he will not seek reelection in 2022. Axios notes that Blunt is the fourth-ranking Republican in the Senate, and it ticks off the...
Lawmaker Votes for Police
Reform, Immediately Regrets It
Mar 4, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Lawmaker Votes for Police Reform, Immediately Regrets It
GOP's Lance Gooden says he pressed the wrong button
- Rep. Lance Gooden voted for a police reform bill Wednesday night that bans chokeholds and certain no-knock warrants, among other measures—and he wants his constituents in Texas to know that he sincerely regrets the error. Gooden, the only Republican who voted to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing...
State by State to
Change Election Laws
Feb 28, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Republicans Work State by State to Change Election Laws
Reducing turnout is main strategy, though one state considers letting legislators overturn presidential results
- Across the nation, supporters of former President Trump are working to pass state legislation changing laws to limit access to voting and give them more control over election outcomes. With a rallying cry about the presidential election having been stolen from Trump, and basing their plans on the premise that...
Romney, Liz Cheney Issue
Warnings About the GOP
Feb 24, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Romney, Liz Cheney Issue Warnings About the GOP
Romney says Trump would win 2024 GOP nom if he ran
- In what the
New York Times
notes is "a clear sign of [Donald] Trump's enduring position in the Republican Party," Mitt Romney offered a prediction Thursday on the next presidential campaign season. Speaking Tuesday with the
Andrew Ross Sorkin at the DealBook DC Policy Project, the...
Georgia's David Perdue
Makes His 2022 Decision
Feb 23, 2021 11:36 AM CST
Georgia's David Perdue Makes His 2022 Decision
Former senator says he won't run against Sen. Raphael Warnock
- Former Georgia Sen. David Perdue said Tuesday that he will not run in 2022 to reclaim a seat in the US Senate, eight days after the defeated Republican filed campaign paperwork that could have opened the way for him to run against Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock. "I am confident...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.