Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Senator Moves to Strip
'Woke' Disney of Copyrights
May 11, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Senator Moves to Strip 'Woke' Disney of Copyrights
Josh Hawley wants to reduce protection term from 95 years to 56 years
- Sen. Josh Hawley has taken the Republican attacks on Disney to a new level: The senator introduced a bill Tuesday that would undo decades of copyright law for large corporations, retroactively stripping Disney of its rights to many characters, the Hill reports. In a press release, Hawley made it clear...
Says Florida's Move
Might Be Illegal
Apr 27, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
Disney District Says Florida's Move Might Be Illegal
1967 law that created district says it can't be dissolved before bondholders are paid
- Florida's government has passed a law repealing the self-governing district Disney has had in the state for 55 years—but since the two-page law fails to address some very complicated issues, the Reedy Creek Improvement District says business will continue as usual for now. Reedy Creek has told investors...
Florida Lawmakers Pass Bill
to 'Remind Disney It's a Guest'
Apr 21, 2022 2:04 PM CDT
Florida Lawmakers Pass Bill to 'Remind Disney It's a Guest'
Move would strip Walt Disney World of self-governing status
: Florida's full legislature has now passed a bill to repeal a law granting Walt Disney World's properties self-governing status. The move could have huge tax implications for Disney, per the AP . The vote escalates the clash between Disney and Republican Gov. Ron De Santis over what critics...
After 2-Year Ban,
on Earth Opens
Its Arms Again
Apr 19, 2022 8:21 AM CDT
After 2-Year Ban, Happiest Place on Earth Opens Its Arms Again
Hugs, character interactions make their return
- It's been more than two years since Disney characters mingled with theme park guests—rubbing noses, whispering secrets, and perhaps most importantly, offering hugs. When Disneyland reopened last April after a 14-month closure triggered by a global pandemic that made physical interaction risky, visitors could only glimpse Mickey and...
Apr 15, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
Final video from Blue Sky Studios allows 'Ice Age' squirrel to get his acorn after 20 years
- Scrat finally got his acorn. If that sentence doesn't make sense, you maybe haven't seen any of the animated
films over the last 20 years. Scrat is the squirrel who emerged as a mascot of sorts for the franchise, thanks to short clips that showed him...
A Disney Heir Comes Out
Apr 11, 2022 6:41 PM CDT
A Disney Heir Comes Out as Transgender
Family launches effort to fight 'Don't Say Gay' bill and similar efforts
- An heir to the Walt Disney Co. has come out as transgender, announcing a family effort to support LGBTQ rights and oppose new legislation that threatens them. Charlee Disney came out publicly last month at the Human Rights Campaign's annual gala after coming out privately four years ago, NBC...
Calling Disney Too 'Woke,'
Outlet Will Make Own Content
Mar 31, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Calling Disney Too 'Woke,' Outlet Will Make Own Content
Conservative Daily Wire says entertainment giant is pushing 'radical' ideology to children
- The conservative media outlet Daily Wire is launching an entertainment division for children to counter what it calls a "woke" ideology of Disney. The company—best known for its podcast featuring Ben Shapiro—says in a release that it will spend $100 million over three years to develop DW...
Among 108 Arrested
March Sadness 2'
Mar 17, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Disney Workers Among 108 Arrested in 'Operation March Sadness 2'
Florida sting operation targeted prostitution, human trafficking
- A sheriff's office in Florida says 108 people were arrested, including a retired judge and several Disney employees, during a sting operation to combat human trafficking, prostitution, and child sexual abuse. Most of those busted in "Operation March Sadness 2" were arrested for seeking a prostitute or "...
Mar 10, 2022 1:45 AM CST
After Outrage, Disney CEO Opposes 'Don't Say Gay' Bill
Bob Chapek called Ron DeSantis
- Disney employees were outraged by the company's failure to condemn Florida's so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill, which is now headed to Gov. Ron DeSantis' desk , as it worked its way through the state legislature. Now, Disney CEO Bob Chapek has spoken out against the bill, though...
to Peter Dinklage's
Jan 26, 2022 8:52 AM CST
Disney Responds to Peter Dinklage's
Company says it's taking a 'different approach' on the 7 dwarfs in its live-action remake
Peter Dinklage spoke up this week about Disney's upcoming live-action remake of
, and Disney was listening. Hours after criticism about the film from the 52-year-old
Game of Thrones
star—who has a form of dwarfism and wasn't happy to imagine a reboot that...
and Justin, There
Dec 31, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Mickey Mouse Club
's Britney and Justin, There Was Tiffini
Tiffini Hale, who performed in late '80s reboot of variety show and in Disney's The Party, dead at 46
The All New Mickey Mouse Club
, a reboot of sorts of the popular '50s variety show, debuted in 1989 on the startup Disney Channel, Tiffini Hale was one of the original cast members, preceding the likes of Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, and Ryan Gosling. She went...
Did a Number
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2021 7:00 AM CST
China, or Disney, Did a Number on Homer
'Simpsons' is now streaming in Hong Kong, but one episode is missing
- When Disney+ debuted in Hong Kong earlier this month, viewers were able to stream 32 seasons of the
all 32 seasons. As it turns out, one particular episode is missing, and it just happens to ridicule China. Coverage:
The missing episode, which originally aired in
Gulf Countries Ban
Nov 5, 2021 3:58 AM CDT
Gulf Countries Ban
Censors objected to same-sex kiss
- The latest Marvel movie comes out in the US on Friday, but in Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries, the release date for
has been shifted from Nov. 11 to possibly never. Sources tell the
that Disney was not willing to make cuts demanded by censors in...
With Some Attractions Closed,
Disneyland Raises Prices
Oct 26, 2021 5:39 PM CDT
With Some Attractions Closed, Disneyland Raises Prices
Park stands to make money even if attendance briefly dips
- If you want to go to the happiest place on Earth, be prepared to spend a lot of money. And no, we aren’t talking about Finland . Disneyland introduced tiered pricing, raising the cost of a ticket on high-demand days, in 2016. And it raised prices on all five tiers...
Disney Delays Release of
Indiana Jones, Marvel Movies
Oct 18, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Disney Delays Release of Indiana Jones, Marvel Movies
New Indiana Jones movie has been pushed back a year
- The Walt Disney Co. is pushing back the release dates of many of its upcoming titles, including the untitled Indiana Jones movie and the
. The company said Monday that the fifth Indiana Jones, a James Mangold-directed and Steven Spielberg-produced installment which sees the return of...
And Just Like
Oct 1, 2021 1:01 AM CDT
And Just Like That, Scarlett Johansson's Disney Battle Ends
The two sides settle her lawsuit
Scarlett Johansson and Disney have settled a lawsuit brought by the actress over the streaming release of
. While details were not made public, both sides released statements Thursday saying they looked forward to working together in the future. The AP notes it was a "swift end,...
Disney Sues to Keep Rights
to Avengers Characters
Sep 28, 2021 6:58 PM CDT
Disney Sues to Keep Rights to Avengers Characters
Lawyer for creators, heirs has filed notices of copyright termination
- A battle between high-powered lawyers is looming over the legal rights to some of Marvel's best-known characters, including Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, and Black Widow. Disney, owner of Marvel Entertainment, has filed lawsuits in a bid to retain full control of the characters, the
reports. The suits were...
Parents of 3-Year-Old Suing
Disney Cruises for $20M
Sep 25, 2021 12:41 PM CDT
Parents of 3-Year-Old Suing Disney Cruises for $20M
Lawsuit alleges another child sexually assaulted toddler in front of staff
- Parents of a child in Vermont are suing the Disney Cruise Line for $20 million. They say their 3-year-old daughter was groped by a “significantly older child” while being looked after in the Oceaneer Club daycare for passengers ages 3-12, WCAX reports. They say their daughter was restrained, and...
a Paid FastPass
Aug 19, 2021 2:37 AM CDT
Disney Replaces Free FastPass With, Essentially, a Paid FastPass
California and Florida theme parks are bringing in a new service this fall
- Disney's FastPass and MaxPass are officially things of the past, the company announced Wednesday . In their place, California's Disneyland theme park and Florida's Walt Disney World resort will be introducing a new service this fall: Disney Genie, which will be built into the existing theme park mobile...
Ryan Reynolds May Have
a New Movie Franchise
Aug 16, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Ryan Reynolds May Have a New Movie Franchise
'Free Guy' exceeds expectations, and Disney already wants a sequel
- Ryan Reynolds may have another movie franchise on his hands in addition to
. Not only did his new flick,
Free Guy ,
do better than expected at the box office over the weekend, but Reynolds announced that Disney already wants a sequel.
, a sci-fi action comedy that takes...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Gunmaker Is a No-Show at NRA Convention
After a Quirky Name Change, Now They're Stuck With It
For Establishment Democrats, a Surprise Loss in Oregon
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.