Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops in Greater Danger
as Public Anger Rises
Sep 27, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Cops in Greater Danger as Public Anger Rises
'People are seeking to do harm to cops'
- A man walks up to a squad car and opens fire on two sheriff's deputies sitting inside. Two police officers are shot after responding to sounds of gunfire during a protest. The shootings—one in Los Angeles and the other 2000 miles away in Louisville, Kentucky, less than two...
San Franciso Changes
Its Mind About Mug Shots
Jul 1, 2020 4:38 PM CDT
San Franciso Changes Its Mind About Mug Shots
City has stopped releasing them to the public
- San Francisco police will stop releasing the mug shots of people who have been arrested unless they pose a threat to the public, as part of an effort to stop perpetuating racial stereotypes, the city's police chief announced Wednesday, the AP reports. San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said...
a Big Announcement
Jun 27, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Makes a Big Announcement
Looks like characters of color will be played by new actors
- Producers of
relented Friday and said they will no longer let white actors play non-white characters, the BBC reports. The move follows years of criticism over white actor Hank Azaria playing the voice of Indian-American character Apu, a role Azaria dropped in January, saying he found it "...
Princeton to Pull President's
Name From Policy School
Jun 27, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Princeton to Pull President's Name From Policy School
Woodrow Wilson barred black students and spoke approvingly of the KKK
- Princeton University has announced plans to remove the name of former President Woodrow Wilson from its public policy school because of his segregationist views, reversing a decision the Ivy League school made four years ago to retain the name. University president Christopher Eisgruber said in a letter to the school...
Jun 20, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
White Guard Charged With Killing Black Motel Guest
Christopher Straight is charged with first-degree manslaughter
- A white Oklahoma security guard has been arrested in the killing a black motel guest who had argued with the manager, NBC News reports. The guard, 53-year-old Christopher Straight, was charged June 6 with first-degree manslaughter for the death of Carlos Carson that day. "Based on our investigation, we...
Jun 20, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Mike Pence Declines to Use
The vice president explains his position to an ABC affiliate
- In the debate over saying "black lives matter," Mike Pence just took center stage—by declining to say it twice in the same interview. "Well, Brian, let me just say that what happened to George Floyd was a tragedy," Pence told 6ABC Action News anchor Brian...
CEO to Take
Jun 17, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
America's 'Painful' Times Inspire One CEO to Take Action
Reed Hastings and wife Patty Quillin donate $120M
- The top guy at Netflix and his wife just made a major donation to black colleges and say they hope others will do the same, NBC News reports. Company CEO Reed Hastings and Patty Quillin said Wednesday they're giving $120 million to two historically black colleges and the United...
Cops Release Video of
Rayshard Brooks Killing
Jun 14, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Cops Release Video of Rayshard Brooks Killing
Police officer Garrett Rolfe is seen shooting the father of 4
- Now the world can see how Rayshard Brooks' life came to an end. Atlanta police released the video—two body cams ( here and here ), dashcam , surveillance —after a Saturday press conference, the
reports. "It does appear in the video that [Brooks] is fleeing from...
'Some Sneaky Trick'?
Jun 11, 2020 4:04 PM CDT
Georgia Election: 'Some Sneaky Trick'?
Republicans and Democrats duel over who to blame
- Democrats and black activists are saying Georgia's botched primary election was no mistake—it was by design, and someone needs to pay. "There's always some sneaky trick that's played," Democratic activist Bobby Fuse, 68, tells CNN . "This time, they had a whole bunch of...
It's Protest Day
Around the World
Jun 6, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
It's Protest Day Around the World
In North Carolina, Washington, and cities worldwide, George Floyd's death is the issue
- Tens of thousands of protesters streamed into the nation’s capital and other major cities Saturday in another huge mobilization against police brutality while George Floyd was remembered in his North Carolina hometown by mourners who waited hours for a glimpse of his golden coffin, the AP reports. Military vehicles...
Brees Makes Statement
'to President Trump'
Jun 6, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Brees Makes Statement 'to President Trump'
The NFL quarterback explains his evolving views on Instagram
- Drew Brees and President Trump locked horns online Friday over the issue of NFL players who take a knee to protest police brutality,
reports. With Brees apologizing—not once , but twice —for saying those who take a knee disrespect the US flag, Trump criticized Brees on Twitter...
It's Time I
Take a Fresh
Look at Things
Jun 6, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Zuckerberg: It's Time I Take a Fresh Look at Things
Facebook's CEO says he'll review company policies
- Mark Zuckerberg says Facebook will reconsider its content policies after a backlash erupted in the company and spilled over in the media, CNN reports. "I know many of you think we should have labeled the President's posts in some way last week," he wrote on Facebook about...
Charged Minn. Cop Used
'Overkill' Tactics at Nightclub
May 30, 2020 3:45 PM CDT
Charged Minn. Cop Used 'Overkill' Tactics at Nightclub
'He would mace everyone' on 'African American nights,' former owner says
- A white Minneapolis police officer and the black man he's charged with killing both worked as security guards at the same Latin nightclub as recently as last year, but its former owner says she’s not sure if they knew each other, the AP reports. What she is certain...
Pentagon Takes 'Rare Step'
After Latest Protests
May 30, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Pentagon Takes 'Rare Step' After Latest Protests
And Minnesota's governor calls in more National Guard
- Minnesota's governor is "fully mobilizing" the National Guard to quell violence that has erupted in Minneapolis and to some extent in St. Paul,
reports. Numbers vary, but CBS Minnesota notes that up to 13,000 soldiers and airmen might be serving in Minnesota and CNN reports...
Mayor: Let's Charge
the 'I Can't Breathe' Cop
May 27, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Mayor: Let's Charge the 'I Can't Breathe' Cop
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey weighed in after protesters hit the streets
- The mayor of Minneapolis called Wednesday for criminal charges to be filed against the white police officer seen on video kneeling on the neck of a handcuffed black man during an arrest, even after the man said he couldn't breathe and stopped moving, the AP reports. Based on the...
Armed Activists Take
Black Lawmaker to Work
May 9, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Armed Activists Take Black Lawmaker to Work
Rep. Sarah Anthony says she 'was pleased to receive the type of support'
- Talk about an escort: Armed black activists walked a black lawmaker to work Wednesday in Michigan, the
reports. Rep. Sarah Anthony (D-Lansing) was accompanied by six people—some of them armed, one Hispanic—on her trip to the state Capitol building. "Being a black and brown female Democrat...
Blacks Push Back
Apr 18, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Blacks Push Back Over COVID-19
A growing chorus pressures the government to blunt the devastation on blacks
- As a clearer picture emerges of COVID-19’s decidedly deadly toll on black Americans, leaders are demanding a reckoning of the systemic policies they say have made many blacks far more vulnerable to the virus—including inequity in access to health care and economic opportunity, the AP reports. A growing...
This Gayle King
Battle Is Now
Feb 8, 2020 12:30 PM CST
This Gayle King Battle Is Now Full-Blown War
With Snoop Dogg and Susan Rice piling on, it's getting ugly
- The ruckus over a Gayle King interview clip has morphed into a vicious social-media battle including harsh words from Snoop Dogg and Susan Rice, NBC News reports. The spark was a clip of King interviewing WNBA legend Lisa Leslie, and asking her about the 2003 rape allegation against Kobe Bryant....
Black Government Worker's
Office 'Targeted' in Attack
Aug 24, 2019 2:11 PM CDT
Black Government Worker's Office 'Targeted' in Attack
Betsy DeVos has called for an investigation
- A black employee's office at the US Department of Education has been vandalized in what looks like a racially motivated attack, NBC News reports. The employee hasn't been identified, but her school desegregation poster was damaged and African figurines disfigured. "She had some dolls in her office...
Aug 17, 2019 2:45 PM CDT
Warren Tells Black Christians Her Favorite Biblical Passage
The Democrats frame their bids in faith-based terms
- Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren framed their Democratic presidential bids in personal, faith-based terms Saturday before black millennial Christians in Georgia who could help determine which candidate becomes the leading progressive alternative to Joe Biden, the AP reports. Sanders, the Vermont senator whose struggles with black voters helped cost him...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.