Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Surfing Legend Dies
Riding Giant Waves
Jan 6, 2023 8:24 AM CST
Surfing Legend Dies Riding Giant Waves
'Mad Dog' surfer Marcio Freire died while practicing in Nazare, Portugal
- Surfing legend Marcio Freire died Thursday in a place some call surfers' heaven: Nazare, Portugal, which is famous for its giant waves. The 47-year-old Brazilian died while practicing tow-in surfing, the local maritime authority said, per Reuters . He was one of three surfers in the documentary
, which looked...
This Is the Largest Wave
Ever Surfed by a Human
May 25, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
This Is the Largest Wave Ever Surfed by a Human
It measured 86 feet in height, and Sebastian Steudtner rode it
- The wave that surfer Sebastian Steudtner rode in October 2020 has been confirmed as the beast it appeared to be. Guinness World Records on Tuesday announced the 36-year-old German did indeed break the record for riding the largest wave when he rode an 86-footer off Portugal. The
AM Routine Helps Zuckerberg
Cope with Daily Bad News
Apr 3, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
AM Routine Helps Zuckerberg Cope with Daily Bad News
Morning headlines and emails often leaving him feeling like he's been 'punched'
- Most mornings, Mark Zuckerberg awakens to what he calls "a fair amount of bad news and new things that I need to absorb," per Insider , which quotes a recent interview on the Tim Ferriss Show . To relieve himself and prepare for the day ahead, Zuck explains he tries...
Another Athlete Goes Public
With Mental Health Needs
Jan 26, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Another Athlete Goes Public With Mental Health Needs
Gabriel Medina pulls out of the World Surf League season
- In naming him its "Athlete of the Year 2021," SurferToday wrote that No. 1-ranked Gabriel Medina "seems to have found a personal stability that clearly influences his competitive performance." The 28-year-old Brazilian announced Monday on Instagram that he's bowing out of the 2022 World Surf...
Mar 22, 2021 12:04 AM CDT
Olympic Surfing Hopeful Fatally Struck by Lightning
Katherine Diaz planned to compete for El Salvador this summer
- Katherine Diaz planned to compete for her home country of El Salvador when surfing makes its Olympic debut this summer. But the 22-year-old, the country's top surfer, was struck by lightning and killed Friday while training near her home in El Tunco, the
reports. Per a Spanish-language newspaper,...
'Anyone Who's Ever
Broken Their Pelvis in Half
Can Relate to This'
Mar 4, 2021 12:57 PM CST
'Anyone Who's Ever Broken Their Pelvis in Half Can Relate to This'
Billy Kemper talks about the wave that almost killed him
- "Anyone who's ever broken their pelvis in half can relate to this," Billy Kemper says of the injury that almost ended his surfing career, and his life. The 30-year-old Hawaiian, widely considered one of the best big-wave surfers in the world, tells CNN that friends saved his...
'a Bit Weird.'
Then He Saw
Oct 8, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
Surfer Felt 'a Bit Weird.' Then He Saw the Footage
Drone captures Bull shark almost touching Matt Wilkinson
- When Matt Wilkinson saw the footage, he could only put his head in his hands. He had heard a splash as he paddled his surfboard off the coast of Ballina in northern New South Wales, Australia, on Wednesday. "[I] looked around and couldn't see anything,” the world...
This Year's Biggest Wave
Was Surfed by a Woman
Sep 22, 2020 3:05 PM CDT
This Year's Biggest Wave Was Surfed by a Woman
Maya Gabeira broke her own world record
- On Feb. 11 this year, Maya Gabeira rode a monster wave all the way into the Guinness Book of World Records. Scientists determined that the wave the 33-year-old Brazilian rode off Nazare, Portugal, was 73.5 feet tall—a world record for a woman, and the biggest wave surfed by...
He Thought He'd
Lost His Board
an Instagram Tag
Sep 21, 2020 1:26 PM CDT
He Thought He'd Lost His Board Forever. Then, an Instagram Tag
Doug Falter's surfboard, lost in wipeout in Hawaii in 2018, turns up 5K miles away
- Filipino Giovanne Branzuela was pretty stoked over the summer to buy a weathered-looking surfboard for $40 from a neighbor, who'd purchased it from local fishermen who'd found it floating off the island of Sarangani. They'd figured it had fallen from a yacht cruising in the area. Branzuela...
Killed by a
Jul 12, 2020 12:50 PM CDT
Teen Surfer Killed by a 'Really Big Great White'
Mani Hart-Deville, 15, lost his life in Australia on Saturday
- A teen surfer died Saturday after a suspected shark attack left him with severe leg injuries, Australia's News Network reports. Seems 15-year-old Mani Hart-Deville was surfing in New South Wales, Australia, when the shark bit him and other surfers dragged the wounded boy to shore on Wooli Beach. "...
One Presidential Candidate
Had a Chilly Start to 2020
Jan 2, 2020 8:20 AM CST
One Presidential Candidate Had a Chilly Start to 2020
Tulsi Gabbard rode the waves in Hampton, NH
- Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard chose New Year's Day to get back on her board. Decked out in a full winter wetsuit, the Democratic presidential candidate surfed the Atlantic in Hampton, NH, watched by several supporters carrying signs, per NBC News . "History is being made!" yelled one, who...
Everyone Said Kite Surfer
Had 'Drifted Out to Sea'
Nov 30, 2019 2:03 PM CST
Everyone Said Kite Surfer Had 'Drifted Out to Sea'
On Thanksgiving, he triggered a Coast Guard search
- The image was scary: a kite surfer drifting out to sea. But this story had a happy ending after the unidentified surfer managed to find dry land, the
Press of Atlantic City
reports. It all began Thursday afternoon when a kite surfer called in saying his kite had malfunctioned and...
He Proposed While They Surfed.
Then the Ring Fell In
Nov 15, 2019 2:00 PM CST
He Proposed While They Surfed. Then the Ring Fell In
Chris Garth proposes to girlfriend Lauren Oiye in Honolulu
- A Hawaii man was surfing with his girlfriend when, instead of hanging 10, he knelt down on one knee on his board and proposed, per the AP . Hawaii News Now reported that Lauren Oiye said yes just before Chris Garth dropped the ring in the ocean. Multiple photographers nearby captured...
Know It Would
Happen This Fast'
Apr 8, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
Surprise Surf Champ: 'Didn't Know It Would Happen This Fast'
Caroline Marks, 17, beats 3-time world champ in season opener, has eye on world championship
- "I didn't know it would happen this fast." Those were the words of Caroline Marks on Monday after she claimed the championship trophy for the World Surf League's season opener at Australia's Duranbah Beach. What prompted those words: She's the league's youngest competitor...
2024 Olympics May Boast
'More Artistic' New Sport
Feb 21, 2019 9:25 AM CST
2024 Olympics May Boast 'More Artistic' New Sport
IOC appears to be on board for break-dancing
- Break-dancing might just become an Olympic sport. Organizers of the 2024 Games in Paris have put forth their suggestions for four sports to be added to the current roster of 28, with breakdancing listed alongside surfing, climbing, and skateboarding. The latter three sports are already confirmed for Tokyo 2020, but...
Family Questions Timeline
for Big Wave Surfer's Death
Sep 28, 2018 2:28 PM CDT
Family Questions Timeline for Big Wave Surfer's Death
Authorities say Adam D'Esposito drowned; his family isn't sure that's the whole story
- The search for a big wave surfer who went missing in Mexico this month has ended with the recovery of Adam Francis D'Esposito's body near the town of Rosarito,
reports. The body was reportedly found Sept. 9—a week after he went missing—but D'Esposito's...
Dude, Check Out
Aug 21, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Dude, Check Out California's New State Sport
Surfing is officially sanctioned
- Surf's up in California, where it's now the official state sport, per the AP . Gov. Jerry Brown said Monday he has signed a bill making it so. The new law declares surfing to be "an iconic California sport"—though it acknowledges that surfing originated with the...
Tesla Sells Out of Its
Jul 30, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Tesla Sells Out of Its $1,500 Surfboards
The company's unusual offering can fit into its electric cars
- Tesla offered an unusual item over the weekend on its website: a surfboard. Branded just like the cars in sleek black and red with the electric car company's unmistakable logo, the $1,500 item was available Saturday until all 200 limited edition boards flew off the virtual shelves and...
Surfer Breaks Record
for Biggest-Ever Wave
Apr 30, 2018 4:33 AM CDT
Surfer Breaks Record for Biggest-Ever Wave
Brazil's Rodrigo Koxa mastered 80-foot wave
- A Brazilian surfer has claimed the "Biggest Wave" award—and a place in the record books—for mastering a monster wave big enough to wash away Godzilla. Officials at the World Surf League determined that Rodrigo Koxa set a new record last November for the biggest wave ever surfed...
This Might Become
California's Official Sport
Jan 22, 2018 2:00 PM CST
This Might Become California's Official Sport
Surfing, of course
- California has an official state tree in the redwood. Now two lawmakers think that something else is so Californian in its nature that it deserves similar stature: surfing. Yes, State assembly members Al Muratsuchi and Ian Calderon have introduced Assembly Bill 1782 to make surfing the official state sport, reports...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
This Is 'the Worst Kind of Earthquake'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.