Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dies at Age 8
Jan 11, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Retired 'HeroRAT' Dies at Age 8
Magawa sniffed out land mines in Cambodia until punching his last time card last year
"A hero is laid to rest." So read the announcement Tuesday on the death of Magawa, the rat that became a legend in Cambodia for his award-winning work in sniffing out land mines. Belgian charity Apopo notes in its release that Magawa, 8, had seemed in generally...
'World's Loneliest Elephant'
Arrives Safely at New Home
Nov 30, 2020 1:10 PM CST
'World's Loneliest Elephant' Arrives Safely at New Home
'The flight was uneventful, which is all you can ask for when you transfer an elephant'
- The pachyderm dubbed the "world’s loneliest elephant" after languishing alone for years in a Pakistani zoo was greeted on his arrival in Cambodia on Monday by chanting Buddhist monks and then sent on his way to a wildlife sanctuary. Like other travelers during these times, Kaavan needed to...
Sep 26, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
2-Foot-Long Rat Wins Gold Medal for 'Bravery'
Magawa has a rather scary job in Cambodia
- Not a big rat fan? Meet Magawa. The furry two-footer received a gold medal Friday for his work detecting land mines in Cambodia, NBC News reports. "Magawa's dedication, skill and bravery are an extraordinary example of this and deserve the highest possible recognition," said Jan McLoughlin, head...
Dead at 77
Sep 2, 2020 12:08 AM CDT
Khmer Rouge Executioner Dead at 77
Kaing Guek Eav had been hospitalized after having difficulty breathing
- The Khmer Rouge’s chief jailer, who admitted overseeing the torture and killings of as many as 16,000 Cambodians while running the regime’s most notorious prison, has died. Kaing Guek Eav, known as Duch, was 77 and had been serving a life prison term for war crimes and...
Passengers Finally Let Off
Ship Just Want to Go Home
Feb 19, 2020 6:16 PM CST
Passengers Finally Let Off Ship Just Want to Go Home
Kept Aboard Over Virus Fears, Hundreds Await Tickets Out of Cambodia
- The cheers of celebration have faded. The waving of roses has ceased. Having finally reached a friendly port in Cambodia willing to accept them after nearly two weeks of uncertainty at sea, hundreds of cruise ship passengers eyed warily over fears of a new virus are now simply trying to...
Passengers Finally Leave
Shunned Cruise Ship
Feb 14, 2020 3:04 AM CST
Passengers Finally Leave Shunned Cruise Ship
Cambodia's leader gave them flowers
- Hundreds of cruise ship passengers long stranded at sea by virus fears cheered as they finally disembarked Friday and were welcomed to Cambodia by the nation's authoritarian leader, who handed them flowers. Prime Minister Hun Sen agreed to let the Westerdam dock at the port of Sihanoukville on Thursday...
Ship Rejected by 5 Countries
Anchors Off Cambodia
Feb 13, 2020 12:32 AM CST
Ship Rejected by 5 Countries Anchors Off Cambodia
Passengers will be allowed to disembark after health checks
- A cruise ship turned away by other Asian and Pacific governments due to virus fears anchored Thursday off Cambodia, which is checking the health of its 2,200 passengers and crew. The Westerdam was unwelcome elsewhere even though operator Holland America Line said no cases of the COVID-19 viral illness...
In Remote Cambodia,
a Giant Project Worries US
Dec 25, 2019 7:11 AM CST
In Remote Cambodia, a Giant Project Worries US
China is building an enormous runway, but Cambodia insists it's not for military use
- It's a reasonable enough question: "Why would the Chinese show up in the middle of a jungle to build a runway?" asks political scientist Sophal Ear of Occidental College in the
New York Times
. The runway in question is in a remote part of Cambodia, and as it...
Got a Handle on
Nov 16, 2018 3:30 PM CST
Think You've Got a Handle on Foreign Languages? Meet Thaksin
Thaksin sells souvenirs, but Cambodian Red Cross will pay for his education after newfound fame
- A young boy who's picked up parts of at least 12 languages and dialects while selling souvenirs to tourists at Cambodia's Angkor Wat temple complex is about to get a change of scenery—and a free education. Thaksin first won hearts around the world in a viral video...
Tribunal Delivers Historic
Khmer Rouge Verdict
Nov 16, 2018 12:15 AM CST
Tribunal Delivers Historic Khmer Rouge Verdict
2 surviving leaders guilty of genocide
- The last surviving leaders of the Khmer Rouge that brutally ruled Cambodia in the 1970s were convicted of genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes Friday by an international tribunal. Nuon Chea, 92, and Khieu Samphan, 87, were sentenced to life in prison, the same sentence they are already serving...
Cambodia Arrests Foreigners
for 'Pornographic Dancing'
Jan 29, 2018 5:26 AM CST
Cambodia Arrests Foreigners for 'Pornographic Dancing'
10 Westerners could get a year in prison
- Cambodian prosecutors charged 10 foreigners Sunday with producing pornographic pictures after they were arrested at a party in the town of Siem Reap, near the country's famed Angkor Wat temple complex. Police say they raided a rented villa on Thursday where the foreigners were taking part in what organizers...
A Dragon-Controlling King
Is Shaping Cambodian Politics
Dec 7, 2017 5:34 PM CST
A Dragon-Controlling King Is Shaping Cambodian Politics
Prime minister may believe himself to be legendary king reincarnated
- The legend of Sdech Kan says the 16th century Cambodian ruler controlled dragons, walked on water, and shot four arrows simultaneously, among other tall tales. Five-hundred years later, the
New York Times
reports Cambodia's current ruler—Prime Minister Hun Sen—may see more than a little of himself in...
Film Is Cambodia's
Sep 18, 2017 3:33 PM CDT
Angelina Jolie's Film Is Cambodia's Oscar Submission
Country submits it as foreign language contender at Academy Awards
- Angelina Jolie's
First They Killed My Father
has been named Cambodia's foreign-language submission to the Academy Awards, the AP reports. The Cambodia Oscar Selection Committee announced the choice Monday, calling Jolie's Cambodian genocide drama "cathartic" and hailing it for bringing back memories "often best forgotten....
Japan's Tsunami Made
Cambodian Kids Sicker
May 16, 2017 9:59 AM CDT
Japan's Tsunami Made Cambodian Kids Sicker
2011 natural disaster exacerbated iodized salt dearth, worsening country's deficiency issue
- Cambodia thought it had a handle on its scarcity of iodine, an element critical for humans (and one not made naturally by the body) to make thyroid hormone. The country had long struggled with the lack of iodine in its soil, which at one point in the late 1990s resulted...
Dramatic Rescue, With Surprise
Help From Muddy Elephants
Mar 29, 2017 3:40 PM CDT
Dramatic Rescue, With Surprise Help From Muddy Elephants
Asian elephants in Cambodia were mired in bomb crater—then assistance arrived
- Teamwork both human and animal is what saved the lives of nearly a dozen Asian elephants in a Cambodian wildlife preserve after local farmers there stumbled upon a distressing sight: 11 of the endangered animals stuck in a mud-filled crater formed nearly a half-century ago by a Vietnam War bomb,...
Jolie: Split Was
'Difficult,' but 'We'll
Always Be Family'
Feb 20, 2017 10:58 AM CST
Jolie: Split Was 'Difficult,' but 'We'll Always Be Family'
She makes first public remarks on split while promoting new film in Cambodia
- Angelina Jolie was in Cambodia, the birthplace of her first son, over the weekend to promote her first project since her very public split from Brad Pitt, and as one might imagine, the subject came up in interviews. "I don’t want to say very much about that, except...
Jun 13, 2016 10:00 AM CDT
Lasers Penetrate Cambodian Jungle, Reveal Hidden Cities
Archaeologists say the findings may force a rewriting of history
- All is not as it has seemed in Cambodia, according to new research published in the
Journal of Archaeological Science
. Using aerial scanning technology that determines precise elevation points beneath even dense jungle foliage, archaeologists say they have uncovered multiple metropolises between 900 and 1,400 years old that might...
Doesn't Use Her
Feb 24, 2016 6:46 AM CST
Princess Photographs, Doesn't Use Her $40K Bathroom
It was built for Maha Chakri Sirindhorn's visit to a Cambodian province
- Most rural residents of Cambodia's Ratanakkiri province have no access to a toilet. So when Thailand's Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn chose to visit Yeak Lom Lake, officials were told to make her as comfortable as possible. Over 19 days, a Thai construction company built an 86-square-foot bathroom specifically...
Tourists Keep Baring Their Butts at Sacred Temple
May 12, 2015 8:11 AM CDT
Tourists Keep Baring Their Butts at Sacred Temple
3 in custody in Cambodia for allegedly doing just that
- Inappropriate photo shoots of one's buttocks seem to officially be a thing . A third set of tourists has allegedly been found doing just that at Cambodia's Angkor temple complex in broad daylight. The
reports that two unnamed men around 30 years in age—one Italian, one...
US Sisters Take
at Sacred Temple
Feb 9, 2015 12:27 PM CST
US Sisters Take Bare-Butt Photos at Sacred Temple
And then swiftly get put on a bus from Cambodia to Thailand
- When visiting a UNESCO World Heritage Site, taking pictures seems a given—taking pictures of one's bare butt, less so. Two American sisters were deported from Cambodia late Saturday night after being caught taking nude photos at the Angkor temple complex the day prior. A senior heritage police official'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Lara Logan's Talent Agency Drops Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.