Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
23 Years After
Act of Kindness,
She Finds Out
How Much It Meant
May 3, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
23 Years After Act of Kindness, She Finds Out How Much It Meant
Tracy Peck's $100 gift to 2 young refugees kept them eating in 1999
- The woman signed the envelope "a friend from the plane—Tracy." Then she tucked her earrings and a $100 bill inside and handed it to the two young refugees sitting next to her on the flight from Amsterdam to Minneapolis in 1999. It was an act of kindness...
Americans Can Sponsor
Apr 26, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Americans Can Sponsor Ukrainian Refugees
US government unveils new program
- Americans can now sign up to be prospective sponsors of specific Ukrainians looking to come to the US. Border officials have admitted 15,000 Ukrainians without valid travel documents in the past three months, with most of those entering through the US-Mexico border "after multi-flight trips from Eastern Europe,...
Thousands of Ukrainians at
Train Station When Rockets Hit
Apr 8, 2022 5:49 AM CDT
Thousands of Ukrainians at Train Station When Rockets Hit
At least 30 were killed
- A Russian rocket attack in eastern Ukraine Friday killed dozens of people who had been trying to flee to safer parts of the country, Ukrainian authorities say. The state railway company says two rockets hit Kramatorsk railway station, killing more than 30 people and injuring more than 100, Reuters reports....
Apr 1, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Russians Keep Red Cross From Mariupol
Thousands of refugees reach inland city anyway by car and bus
- The International Committee for the Red Cross said it was unable to carry out an operation to bring civilians out of the shattered and encircled city of Mariupol by bus on Friday, but Ukraine said thousands of refugees nevertheless made it to safety. The Red Cross said its team had...
There's a New Milestone
in Ukrainian Refugee Crisis
Mar 30, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
There's a New Milestone in Ukrainian Refugee Crisis
4M refugees have evacuated from the country since Feb. 24: UNHCR
- The UN refugee agency said Wednesday more than 4 million refugees have now fled Ukraine since Russia launched its war in the largest refugee crisis in Europe since World War II. The new figure was posted on an UNHCR website, per the AP , and represents about a tenth of Ukraine'...
Biden Denounces Putin, Saying
He 'Cannot Remain in Power'
Mar 26, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Biden Denounces Putin, Saying He 'Cannot Remain in Power'
Kremlin says that's Russia's decision, and White House aide says it wasn't a call for a regime change
- President Biden denounced Russian President Vladimir Putin in his strongest terms yet on Saturday, calling him "a butcher" after meeting with Ukrainian refugees and saying he "cannot remain in power" in a forceful speech in Warsaw. Biden's declaration came at the end of an address intended to...
US Plans to Welcome
100K Ukrainian Refugees
Mar 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
US Plans to Welcome 100K Ukrainian Refugees
Programs will focus on those with family already in the US
- More than 3.6 million people have fled Ukraine since the Russian invasion began a month ago, and the White House says the US will do its part to welcome refugees and assist those who remain in Europe. In a statement Thursday morning, the White House said the US is...
Mar 14, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Convoy Evacuates Mariupol Residents
Humanitarian convoy bringing food and medicine is stopped before reaching the city
- A convoy of more than 160 cars carrying civilians left Mariupol on Monday, a city under siege by Russian forces. Local officials called it the first successful evacuation through a "humanitarian corridor," the
reports. An online post by officials said the convoy had made it to Berdyansk,...
Poles Fixing Century-Old
Railroad Tracks to Help
Mar 14, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Poles Fixing Century-Old Railroad Tracks to Help Rescue Refugees
'Poland cannot be indifferent to the tragedy of the Ukrainian people,' says nation's infrastructure chief
- Poland is receiving praise the world over for embracing refugees fleeing Ukraine as Russian forces continue their assault . Now, Poles are supplementing this "tidal wave of support" for their desperate neighbors by rebuilding a long-abandoned railroad line, placed more than a century ago, to help expedite rescue efforts at...
Zelensky Speaks From His
Office: 'I'm Not Hiding'
Mar 8, 2022 6:29 AM CST
Zelensky Speaks From His Office: 'I'm Not Hiding'
Number of refugees reaches 2M in just 13 days
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine isn't even two weeks old, but already it's turned 2 million people into refugees. The UN's refugee agency announced the new figure on Tuesday, reports the AP , adding that Poland has accepted the largest number of people: 1.2 million.
They Fled Afghanistan for US.
Now They Can't Find Homes
Mar 5, 2022 11:30 AM CST
They Fled Afghanistan for US. Now They Can't Find Homes
Tens of thousands of Afghans who escaped Taliban now face housing problems in America
- After fleeing her home in now-Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, Mozhgan Entazari did everything she could to find a new one for her family in the sunny, palm tree-lined communities of Southern California. The 34-year-old mother of two scoured options on Zillow with her husband, while the family lived at a hotel in...
Russia Agrees to
Mar 3, 2022 4:07 PM CST
Russia Agrees to Refugee Corridors
'What are you afraid of?' Zelensky asks in pushing Putin for direct meeting
- There was little movement in the Ukraine-Russia peace talks Thursday, but there was a change that could help those trying to escape the fighting flee safely. Negotiators agreed to set up humanitarian corridors for war refugees, Axios reports. Mykhailo Podolyak, a member of the Ukrainian delegation, said his team went...
UN: 120K Ukrainian Refugees
Have Flooded the Borders
Feb 26, 2022 11:45 AM CST
UN: 120K Ukrainian Refugees Have Flooded the Borders
United Nations agency says there could be up to 4M refugees if Russia conflict worsens
- Dragging suitcases and carrying children, tens of thousands of Ukrainians rushed to the borders Saturday as invading Russian troops pressed their advance into Ukraine, moving toward the country's capital of Kyiv. Nearly 120,000 people have so far fled Ukraine into Poland and other neighboring countries in the wake...
'Afghan Girl' From 1984 Photo
Has Now Fled to Italy
Nov 26, 2021 3:37 AM CST
'Afghan Girl' From 1984 Photo Has Now Fled to Italy
Sharbat Gulla was on 'National Geographic' cover
magazine’s famed green-eyed "Afghan Girl" has arrived in Italy as part of the West’s evacuation of Afghans following the Taliban takeover of the country, the Italian government said Thursday. The office of Premier Mario Draghi said Italy organized the evacuation of Sharbat Gulla after she...
They Escaped Certain Death
Only to Face It Again
Nov 20, 2021 1:00 PM CST
They Escaped Certain Death Only to Face It Again
For some Rohingya refugees, assassins lurk
- As the
New York Times
tells it, they've gone from one hell to the next. The first would be Myanmar, the country Rohingya Muslims fled en masse in 2017 to escape ethnic cleansing. Where most have landed is Bangladesh, which is home to what is the biggest single refugee...
Afghan Refugees Attacked
Female Service Member
Sep 26, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Afghan Refugees Attacked Female Service Member
New Mexico base says woman attacked by 'small group' of men
- Male evacuees at the Doña Ana County Range Complex where Afghan refugees are being housed in New Mexico reportedly assaulted a female US military service member. Per the
El Paso Times
, Fort Bliss officials said Friday that a small group of "male evacuees” assaulted the woman Sept....
One Landing Place for Afghan
Refugees: Airbnb Homes
Aug 24, 2021 1:34 PM CDT
One Landing Place for Afghan Refugees: Airbnb Homes
Hosts to lend a hand in 'one of the biggest humanitarian crises of our time'
- Airbnb opened the doors of its properties to 20,000 Afghan refugees globally Tuesday and sought assistance from hosts who rent property through the home-sharing company for more free housing for those fleeing the crisis, per the AP . "The displacement and resettlement of Afghan refugees in the US and...
US Orders Airliners
Into Afghan Service
Aug 22, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
US Orders Airliners Into Afghan Service
Pentagon invokes rarely used emergency program to take over planes
- The Defense Department on Sunday ordered US airlines to contribute planes for use in evacuating Afghan refugees. The 18 aircraft will transport evacuees to and from military bases in Germany, Qatar and Bahrain, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. They will not go into Kabul. So far, C-17 cargo planes have...
Open to Refugees
Aug 21, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Americans' Doors Open to Refugees
Groups ask for more volunteers to prepare for arrivals from Afghanistan
- As refugees from Afghanistan begin arriving in the US, Americans are offering to take them in. Jacqueline Buzas of Refugee Services of Texas said the organization has never seen a response like this, the
reports. "We have people calling to say, 'I have an extra bedroom....
Flip on Refugee Cap
May 3, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Biden Completes Flip on Refugee Cap
Because of Trump cutbacks, government won't fill all spots this year
- After first deciding to leave the nation's cap on refugees allowed into the US where it was, President Biden announced Monday that as many as 62,500 can enter the country in the next six months. The limit applies to people seeking to escape war, violence, or natural disasters,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.