Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
House's No. 2 Comes Out
Against Liz Cheney
May 5, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
House's No. 2 Comes Out Against Liz Cheney
Rep. Steve Scalise backs Elise Stefanik to take Cheney's post
- The tide turned more sharply against Rep. Liz Cheney on Wednesday with the No. 2 House Republican publicly calling for her ouster from her post over her continuing criticism of former President Trump . Rep. Steve Scalise, the House GOP whip, said via a statement that he's in favor of...
2nd Member of Congress
Tests Positive for COVID-19
Mar 19, 2020 4:32 AM CDT
2nd Member of Congress Tests Positive for COVID-19
Lawmakers are being warned of possible exposure
- A second member of Congress has now tested positive for coronavirus—and numerous other lawmakers are now in self-quarantine. Rep. Ben McAdams, a Democrat from Utah, announced Wednesday night that he has self-quarantined after testing positive, NBC reports. "On Saturday evening, after returning from Washington, DC, I developed mild...
Trump Gets Personal After
Fox Host Interviews Scalise
Nov 18, 2019 4:06 AM CST
Trump Gets Personal After Fox Host Interviews Scalise
He slams 'nasty, obnoxious' Chris Wallace
- After Fox News host Chris Wallace clashed with House Minority Whip Steve Scalise over the impeachment inquiry in an interview Sunday, President Trump called him "nasty" and said he would never measure up to his father, late
lead reporter Mike Wallace. Scalise "blew the nasty &...
GOP Lawmakers' Storming
of Room Caused 5-Hour Delay
Oct 24, 2019 7:41 AM CDT
GOP Lawmakers' Storming of Room Caused 5-Hour Delay
House Republicans accused of flouting security procedures
- Defense Department official Laura Cooper testified before House committees at a closed-door impeachment hearing Wednesday—eventually. The hearing was delayed for five hours after at least two dozen House Republicans stormed the secure area where Cooper was due to speak and staged a sit-in, demanding that the proceedings be opened...
A Year After Shooting,
Scalise Returns to Play Ball
Jun 15, 2018 12:45 AM CDT
A Year After Shooting, Scalise Returns to Play Ball
'It's been a long road to this day,' congressman says
- Republicans and Democrats put aside the sectarian hostilities that have increasingly defined Washington and came together on the baseball diamond Thursday, a year after bullets from a would-be mass assassin shook Congress to its core. Democrats prevailed 21-5 in the 57th Congressional Baseball Game for Charity at Nationals Park. But...
Congressional Baseball Attack:
Everything Went 'Exactly Right'
May 15, 2018 8:18 AM CDT
Congressional Baseball Attack: Everything Went 'Exactly Right'
BuzzFeed recounts how a 'series of miracles' prevented a much larger tragedy that day
- On June 14, 2017, a gunman with a semiautomatic opened fire on congressional Republicans and staffers practicing for a baseball game. The shooting, which injured Rep. Steve Scalise and four others, has been well covered, but a report at BuzzFeed provides what is perhaps the most in-depth account so far...
'I'm Back': Steve Scalise
Returns to Congress
Sep 28, 2017 10:59 AM CDT
'I'm Back': Steve Scalise Returns to Congress
It's the first time since the congressman was shot over the summer
- To bipartisan hugs, tears, and a roaring standing ovation, a hobbling House Republican Whip Steve Scalise returned to the House on Thursday, more than three months after a gunman sprayed fire at a baseball practice and left the lawmaker fighting for his life . Scalise limped into the chamber on crutches...
Here's What Congressman Said
in 1st Address Since Shooting
Sep 22, 2017 12:28 PM CDT
Here's What Congressman Said in 1st Address Since Shooting
'I cannot wait til the day that I can get back home'
- "I wish I could be there in person ... and I can tell you, 'I cannot wait til the day that I can get back home," House Majority Whip Steve Scalise said Thursday in his first words to a public audience since being shot during a congressional baseball...
Paul Ryan on GOP Call With
Steve Scalise: 'Very Emotional'
Aug 22, 2017 9:30 AM CDT
Paul Ryan on GOP Call With Steve Scalise: 'Very Emotional'
House speaker says congressman must 'relearn' how to walk after shooting
- Steve Scalise has had a rough go of it since he was shot during a baseball game in June, but the congressman has been slowly making headway in his recuperation, and Paul Ryan offered more insight Monday night into Scalise's condition, CBS News reports. The House speaker appeared at...
for Steve Scalise
Jul 26, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
'Excellent' News for Steve Scalise
He was discharged from hospital Tuesday
- Steve Scalise is out of the hospital. The House majority whip, who was injured in last month's shooting at a GOP congressional baseball practice in Virginia, was discharged Tuesday, Politico reports. The Louisiana Republican will now start "intensive inpatient rehabilitation," his doctors announced Wednesday. A statement from...
Rep's Campaign Ad Uses
Footage From Mass Shooting
Jul 25, 2017 1:33 AM CDT
Rep's Campaign Ad Uses Footage From Mass Shooting
Mo Brooks is running for Jeff Sessions' Senate seat
- Republican Representative Mo Brooks survived the mass shooting at a congressional baseball practice last month in Alexandria, Va., and now he is using his experience as a campaign ad, the
reports. On June 14 James Hodgkinson opened fire on a group of Republican lawmakers, injuring Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise,...
Is Out of ICU Again
Jul 12, 2017 1:28 PM CDT
Wounded Congressman Is Out of ICU Again
Steve Scalise's condition remains serious
- House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, grievously wounded in a shooting at a baseball practice nearly a month ago, has been moved out of the intensive care unit of a Washington hospital but remains in serious condition, the AP reports. The Louisiana congressman and third-ranking House Republican underwent surgery last week...
Jul 6, 2017 4:03 AM CDT
Shot Congressman's Condition Worsens
Steve Scalise is back in intensive care
- Lawmakers from both parties were praying for Rep. Steve Scalise on Wednesday night after the congressman's condition worsened and he was readmitted to the intensive care unit at a hospital in Washington, DC. The MedStar Washington Center Hospital says the Republican, who was shot during practice for a congressional...
Is Suing the
New York Times
Jun 28, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Sarah Palin Is Suing the
New York Times
Former Alaska governor says paper defamed her by linking her to Gabby Giffords shooting
- Sarah Palin "took a stand" this week against the
New York Times
in a lawsuit claiming defamation. CNNMoney reports that the former Alaska governor filed her complaint, which seeks upward of $75,000 in damages, against the
on Tuesday for an editorial it published right after the shooting...
State Dem Party Official on
Scalise: 'I'm Glad He Got Shot'
Jun 23, 2017 1:32 PM CDT
State Dem Party Official on Scalise: 'I'm Glad He Got Shot'
Phil Montag removed by Nebraska State Democratic Party chair
- The co-chair of the Nebraska Democratic Party's technology committee was removed Thursday following an expletive-filled rant about Steve Scalise, the GOP representative shot during a congressional baseball practice, the
reports. “I did not call for the congressman’s death,” Phil Montag says. But in a...
Doctors Update Scalise's
Condition Week After Shooting
Jun 21, 2017 1:19 PM CDT
Doctors Update Scalise's Condition Week After Shooting
The representative has moved from 'serious' to 'fair'
- House Majority Whip Steve Scalise continues to improve after being shot in the hip during a congressional baseball practice last Wednesday, CBS News reports. According to Politico , doctors upgraded the Republican representative's condition from "serious" to "fair" on Wednesday, saying he "continues to make good progress....
Good News on
Jun 18, 2017 11:33 AM CDT
Good News on Scalise's Condition
Wounded congressman is more responsive, upgraded to 'serious'
- On Friday, the doctors caring for wounded congressman Steve Scalise held a sobering news conference in which they explained that Scalise faced an "imminent risk of death" when he first arrived at the hospital. On Saturday night, the House whip's Twitter feed had much better news: He watched...
Jun 16, 2017 1:59 PM CDT
Palin Might Lawyer Up After
Newspaper apologizes after linking Gabby Giffords shooting to Palin's 2011 map
- Sarah Palin issued a not-so-veiled warning to the
New York Times
on Thursday over a controversial editorial in the newspaper, one that prompted two corrections and an apology. In a tweet , Palin said she is "talking to attorneys this AM and exploring options." It all stems from an...
'I'm Sorry He Did This'
Jun 16, 2017 5:38 AM CDT
Hodgkinson Wife: 'I'm Sorry He Did This'
Scalise will be in the hospital 'for some time'
- The wife of Alexandria shooter James Hodgkinson says he told her he was going to Washington to work on "changing the tax brackets" and she had no idea he was going to hurt anybody. The
reports that Suzanne Hodgkinson trembled and held a deputy's arm as...
After Va. Shooting,
Senator Slammed for
'Second Amendment' Tweet
Jun 15, 2017 8:04 AM CDT
After Va. Shooting, Senator Slammed for 'Second Amendment' Tweet
Rand Paul referred to 'tyrannical' government
- Politicians have called for unity and prayers after Wednesday's congressional shooting in Virginia , but the incident has only deepened controversies including the Second Amendment debate. After Sen. Rand Paul—who was in the batting cage when James Hodgkinson opened fire on the baseball field—spoke about the shooting, critics...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Calls Fox Reporter After Hot Mic Insult
Yet Another Big Moment for Jeopardy! Champ
Anti-Vax Dad 'Has Gone to the Edge of Death to Stick to His Guns'
It's the 'Most Valuable Single Coin Find in British History'
Cops: Woman Tries to Buy Baby at Walmart
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.