Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Japan's Dementia Treatment
'Has Now Entered a New Era'
Sep 26, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Japan's Dementia Treatment 'Has Now Entered a New Era'
Country with rapidly aging population OKs its first Alzheimer's drug
- Japan's Health Ministry has approved Leqembi, a drug for Alzheimer's disease that was jointly developed by Japanese and US pharmaceutical companies. As the AP reports, it's the first drug for treatment of the disease in a country with a rapidly aging population. Developed by Japanese drugmaker Eisai...
Medicare Will Target These
10 Drugs for Price Cuts
Aug 29, 2023 8:05 AM CDT
Medicare Will Target These 10 Drugs for Price Cuts
Biden administration to negotiate 'lowest maximum fair price' for Jardiance, Eliquis, others
- The popular diabetes treatment Jardiance and the blood thinner Eliquis are among the first drugs that will be targeted for price negotiations in an effort to cut Medicare costs, reports the AP . President Biden's administration on Tuesday released a list of 10 drugs for which the federal government will...
FDA Has Big News on
Postpartum Depression Front
Aug 5, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
FDA Has Big News on Postpartum Depression Front
Sage Therapeutics introduces fast-acting Zurzuvae, the first pill for condition afflicting new moms
- Hundreds of thousands of women suffer from postpartum depression annually, and while the serious condition that emerges after childbirth often resolves within weeks, for other women, it can stretch for months, even years, and cause feelings that may even prove dangerous. Now, the Food and Drug Administration has announced a...
The FDA Has
Just Approved a
Drug That Costs
$3.5M a Dose
Nov 23, 2022 10:45 AM CST
The FDA Has Just Approved a Drug That Costs $3.5M a Dose
Hemgenix is a one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder hemophilia
- US health regulators on Tuesday approved the first gene therapy for hemophilia, a $3.5 million one-time treatment for the blood-clotting disorder. The FDA cleared Hemgenix: It's an IV treatment for adults with hemophilia B, the less common form of the genetic disorder, reports the AP . Currently, patients receive...
Patients Griped About It.
Now the FDA Confirms It
Oct 15, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Patients Griped About It. Now the FDA Confirms It
Agency makes it official: There's a nationwide Adderall shortage
- There've been rumblings for months at some US pharmacies on difficulties obtaining Adderall. Now, official word from the Food and Drug Administration: There's a US shortage of the medication used to treat ADHD, reports NBC News . In a Wednesday release , the FDA announced the dearth of the drug,...
GOP Senators Block
$35 Limit on Insulin Prices
Aug 7, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
GOP Senators Block $35 Limit on Insulin Prices
Cap for Medicare patients remains in bill
: Senate Republicans knocked a $35 monthly limit on insulin costs for diabetics out of the Democratic economic bill on Sunday. "The reality is the cost of insulin is not just out of control, it is devastating people," Democratic Sen. Patty Murray said on the floor before the...
For This Popular Diabetes
Drug, a 'Surprisingly High' Risk
Mar 29, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
For This Popular Diabetes Drug, a 'Surprisingly High' Risk
Study: Offspring of men who filled metformin Rx during sperm development see risk of rare genital defects
- One of the most widely prescribed diabetes drugs has been linked to an increased risk of birth defects in the offspring of men who filled a prescription for it shortly before conception, according to new research. "When I saw the paper ... I thought: 'Yup, this is gonna go...
a Revolution in
Jun 29, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Walmart Touts a Revolution in Diabetes Care
Retailer to offer low-cost analog insulin starting this week
- Walmart says diabetes patients can save up to 75% on rapid-acting insulin by purchasing its own brand of the drug, launching this week. What it calls the "first-ever private brand analog insulin"—to be sold at Walmart pharmacies this week and at Sam's Club pharmacies in mid-July—...
FDA Advisers Quit
Jun 10, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
FDA Advisers Quit Over Alzheimer's Drug: 'Sham Process'
They're not happy the agency OK'd Biogen's Aduhelm against panel's recommendation
- The week kicked off with controversy swirling around aducanumab, the drug being marketed by Biogen as Aduhelm to treat Alzheimer's disease. The drama continues, with two members of an advisory panel to the Food and Drug Administration stepping down over the agency's decision to OK the drug against...
FDA Approves Controversial
New Alzheimer's Drug
Jun 7, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
FDA Approves Controversial New Alzheimer's Drug
Biogen's aducanumab receives green light, despite questions about effectiveness
- Big news in the world of Alzheimer's: The FDA on Monday approved the first new treatment in nearly 20 years, disregarding warnings from independent advisers that the drug hasn't been shown to help slow the brain-destroying disease, per the AP . The drug aducanumab is made by Biogen and...
2 More Dings Against Drug:
an FDA Warning and a Study
Apr 24, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
2 More Dings Against Drug: an FDA Warning and a Study
Agency cautions hydroxychloroquine should only be used in very restricted settings
- The drug once touted by President Trump as a possible "game changer" in the fight against the coronavirus has been the subject of more sobering headlines of late, and the newest one from the Food and Drug Administration doesn't help matters. Per Stat News , the FDA on Friday...
Trump Called It a Potential
'Game Changer.' No Longer
Apr 22, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Trump Called It a Potential 'Game Changer.' No Longer
A coronavirus panel recommended against hydroxychloroquine's use on Tuesday
- The bloom appears to be off the rose when it comes to the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine. President Trump has repeatedly touted it as a possible treatment for the novel coronavirus, but a yet-to-be-peer-reviewed study released Tuesday found there were more deaths among COVID-19 patients at US veteran hospitals who were...
Nov 1, 2019 12:33 PM CDT
Test Reveals Saoirse Kennedy Hill's Cause of Death
It was an accidental OD from alcohol, methadone, prescription drugs
- The autopsy for Saoirse Kennedy Hill in August didn't offer much insight into how she died, but now the toxicology tests are in: The death certificate for the 22-year-old notes she suffered an accidental overdose from a lethal mix of alcohol, methadone, and prescription drugs, per WCVB . Besides the...
Trump Administration Makes
Big Move on Pharmaceuticals
Jul 31, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Trump Administration Makes Big Move on Pharmaceuticals
Americans will be allowed to import lower-cost prescription drugs from Canada
- The Trump administration said Wednesday it will set up a system to allow Americans to legally import lower-cost prescription drugs from Canada, weakening a long-standing ban that had stood as a top priority for the politically powerful pharmaceutical industry. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar made the announcement Wednesday...
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled
Out 750K Prescriptions
Jul 31, 2019 8:39 AM CDT
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled Out 750K Prescriptions
For over 10 years, Kim Thien Le worked as Bay Area pharmacist without license: Xavier Becerra
- For more than 10 years, Kim Thien Le handed out scads of prescriptions as a pharmacist at a handful of Walgreens stores in the Bay Area—nearly 750,000 scripts when all was said and done, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra noted Tuesday. The problem, per the AG's statement:...
Opioid Crisis Sees Ray of Hope
May 11, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
Opioid Crisis Sees Ray of Hope
Use of prescription opioids actually fell in 2018
- For those grieving the opioid crisis, a sliver of hope: America's use of prescription opioids fell more than ever last year amid a government crackdown on drugmakers and pharmacists, CNBC reports. Overall use dropped 17% in 2018, the biggest decline on record, according to the health research firm IQVIA...
Amid Increasing Drug Recalls,
FDA Focuses on 2 Factories
Jan 15, 2019 8:00 AM CST
Amid Increasing Drug Recalls, FDA Focuses on 2 Factories
Agency: Factories in China, India that made blood pressure drugs have equipment, process problems
- With the significant number of drugs and drug ingredients made overseas, it's hard for the FDA to provide airtight oversight. But two plants in China and India that pump out oft-prescribed blood pressure and heart medications are now on the agency's radar after FDA tests revealed trace amounts...
Prescription Was Just One
Letter Off, but ... Oh Man
Jan 8, 2019 4:32 PM CST
Prescription Was Just One Letter Off, but ... Oh Man
Woman given ED cream for her eyes, prompting call for use of block letters by doctors
- A woman in Scotland went to the doctor with a dry eye condition and left with a prescription for a lubricant called VitA-POS. All good so far. The pharmacist, however, read the doctor's writing as Vitaros, which, while just one letter different, happens to be a cream used to...
Insurer's Drug Plan: We'll
Pay You to Go to Mexico
Oct 29, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Insurer's Drug Plan: We'll Pay You to Go to Mexico
Workers in Utah get cash incentive to buy cheaper drugs across the border
- It's no secret that many prescription drugs are cheaper in Mexico than in the US—stories about "medical tourism" have been around for years, like this one in
. Now, however, a large health insurer in Utah has employed a novel approach to take advantage of the...
Trump Unveils Plan
to Lower Drug Prices
Oct 25, 2018 4:52 PM CDT
Trump Unveils Plan to Lower Drug Prices
It would apply to drugs administered at doctors' offices
- Less than two weeks before the midterm elections, in which health care has been a major issue, President Donald Trump on Thursday announced a plan to lower prices for some prescription drugs, the AP reports, saying it would stop unfair practices that force Americans to pay higher prices than people...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.