Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Black Filmmaker Reported
Burglary, Got Tased: Lawsuit
Jul 25, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Black Filmmaker Reported Burglary, Got Tased: Lawsuit
Damien Smith alleges false arrest, violation of civil rights in lawsuit against LAPD
- Actor-director Damien Smith was making a documentary about police brutality when he says he unwittingly became a victim. Smith says he returned to his Hollywood apartment in October 2021 to find a man walking out of his bedroom carrying his grandfather's watch and other belongings. As the man charged,...
A Genius of
Film Is Dead
Sep 13, 2022 6:07 AM CDT
A Genius of Film Is Dead
French New Wave director Jean-Luc Godard dies at 91
- Jean-Luc Godard, the ingenious "enfant terrible" of the French New Wave who revolutionized popular cinema in 1960 with his debut feature
and stood for years as one of the world's most vital and provocative directors, has died, French media reported, per the AP . He was 91. Godard...
of Jan. 6 Panel
Jun 21, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Little-Known Film Project Gets Attention of Jan. 6 Panel
House committee subpoenas filmmaker who had inner-circle access to Trump, shot footage of riot
- The House Jan. 6 panel gavels back into session on Tuesday afternoon, with the focus expected to be on efforts by former President Trump and his allies to pressure state officials to reject election results, reports NBC News . But Politico is reporting an intriguing new wrinkle expected to be sussed...
He's Won 2 Oscars, Is Now
Accused of Plagiarism
Apr 6, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
He's Won 2 Oscars, Is Now Accused of Plagiarism
At issue: Asghar Farhadi's film 'A Hero'
- Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi took home Oscars in 2012 and 2017 in the best international feature category. His 2021 film,
managed to win the grand prize at Cannes—but also land him in court to fend off allegations of plagiarism. The director has been accused by former film...
Russian Minister Dies
in Lifesaving Attempt
Sep 8, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Russian Minister Dies in Lifesaving Attempt
Yevgeny Zinichev jumped off cliff to save film director Alexander Melnik; both died
- Russia's emergencies minister died Wednesday during a drill exercise while attempting to save a filmmaker, who also died. Film director Alexander Melnik slipped off a cliff at the Kitabo Oron waterfall in the Putorana nature reserve in northern Siberia, landing in water, the BBC quotes Margarita Simonyan, the head...
Indie Film Pioneer
Dies Suddenly at 54
May 17, 2020 4:10 PM CDT
Indie Film Pioneer Dies Suddenly at 54
Lynn Shelton collapsed after being ill for just a week
- An indie filmmaker known for her ad-lib style and complex female characters died Friday after falling ill only a week ago, the Daily Beast reports. Her name was Lynn Shelton. "I have some awful news," said podcaster and comedian Marc Maron, who was romantically involved with her. "...
Jan 14, 2020 11:20 AM CST
Director Detained in France's Shocking #MeToo Accusation
Adele Haenel accused Christophe Ruggia last year, now he's in custody
- A French filmmaker is in custody while authorities investigate accusations that he sexually abused an actress when she was between 12 and 15 years old, the AP reports. Director Christophe Ruggia was detained for questioning Tuesday based on allegations last year by actress Adele Haenel , according to the Paris prosecutor'...
Goodbye to the Filmmaker Who
Romeo and Juliet
Jun 15, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
Goodbye to the Filmmaker Who Brought Us
Romeo and Juliet
Franco Zeffirelli was 96
- Italian director Franco Zeffirelli, who delighted audiences around the world with his romantic vision and often extravagant productions, most famously captured in his cinematic
Romeo and Juliet,
has died in Rome at 96. Zeffirelli's son Luciano said his father died at home on Saturday, per the AP . "He...
Were Also Edited
Apr 25, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Words Seem 'Damning.' They Were Also Edited
As trial approaches, documentary makers under fire for presenting his words out of order
- Dramatic storytelling or manipulation of the truth? That's the question posed by the
New York Times
about the HBO documentary
, which in 2015 aired an apparent "confession" by Robert Durst—accused of killing friend Susan Berman and long suspected of killing his wife—in its final...
'Teen Lover' Speaks
Dec 18, 2018 1:00 AM CST
Woody Allen's 'Teen Lover' Speaks
Babi Christina Engelhardt: I cried when I saw 'Manhattan'
- A California woman says she was Woody Allen's secret teenage lover—and is telling her story of adoration, disillusion, and threesomes with Woody and Mia Farrow. Babi Christina Engelhardt was apparently just 16 when she dropped a note at Allen's restaurant table in 1976 with her phone number:...
Olivia Munn on
in Front of Me
Nov 1, 2017 9:10 AM CDT
Olivia Munn on Director Ratner: He Masturbated in Front of Me
5 other actresses are also accusing film director of sexual misconduct
- Another domino of sexual misconduct allegations stretching from Hollywood to the media has tumbled. This time it involves film director Brett Ratner, with six women telling the
Los Angeles Times
of incidents they say happened in private homes, at Hollywood events, and on movie sets. Actress Olivia Munn is one...
Bjork: Director Harassed Me,
Had 'Impressive Net of Illusion'
Oct 16, 2017 7:44 AM CDT
Bjork: Director Harassed Me, Had 'Impressive Net of Illusion'
She doesn't name Dane she accuses of sexual harassment, but it appears to be Lars von Trier
- As women continue to come forward with sexual assault accusations against Harvey Weinstein , Icelandic singer Bjork has emerged with a revelation of her own regarding "my experience with a Danish director," reports
. On her Facebook page Sunday, Bjork said she'd been "inspired" by all...
Their Film Ran in 14 Theaters.
Then Robert Pattinson Called
Aug 8, 2017 1:42 PM CDT
Their Film Ran in 14 Theaters. Then Robert Pattinson Called
How the major actor ended up in 'Good Time'
is a film about one bad night gone worse. Robert Pattinson plays a small-time Queens crook named Connie Nikas whose botched robbery and escape attempt lands his mentally handicapped brother in jail. And that's just in the first few minutes. The film doesn't come up for...
Apr 26, 2017 2:13 PM CDT
Steve Bannon: the Hollywood Bigwig Who Wasn't?
Trump's strategist brags about his time in Tinseltown, but others' memories are murky
- Over the past eight months, Steve Bannon has worked his way into the general US consciousness, first as an ex-Breitbart exec tapped as Trump's new campaign chief , next as a "terrifying man" who wanted to set the DC establishment ablaze, and finally, as a White House fixture . But...
William Peter Blatty,
Author, Dead at 89
Jan 13, 2017 1:25 PM CST
William Peter Blatty,
Author, Dead at 89
He did everything from drive a beer truck to sell vacuums before he hit it big
- Novelist and filmmaker William Peter Blatty, who conjured a tale of demonic possession and gave millions the fright of their lives with the best-selling novel and Oscar-winning movie
, has died at the age of 89, the AP reports. Blatty died Thursday at a hospital in Bethesda, Md., of...
Found: College Basketball Star
Who Vanished 30 Years Ago
in case you missed it
Oct 8, 2016 4:35 PM CDT
Found: College Basketball Star Who Vanished 30 Years Ago
Benny 'the Outlaw' Anders discovered by filmmaker in Detroit area
- In the 1980s, the University of Houston's Cougars basketball team—aka the Phi Slama Jamas—made their way into three Final Fours. The player described by the
as "one of the more flamboyant members" has now been found in the Detroit area by a filmmaker, three...
Man Says He'll
Be Eaten Alive
Nov 6, 2014 7:02 AM CST
Man Says He'll Be Eaten Alive by Anaconda
Paul Rosolie claims he'll journey into the belly of the beast for Discovery Channel
- Naturalist Paul Rosolie believes "you have to go head first." What he's referring to is shoving his head into the mouth of an anaconda, letting it swallow him, and filming the experience for a Discovery Channel special called
, News.com.au reports. According to the...
Harris Savides Dead at 55
Oct 12, 2012 2:57 AM CDT
Acclaimed Cinematographer Harris Savides Dead at 55
Hollywood mourns celebrated craftsman
- Harris Savides, one of the most acclaimed cinematographers in modern American cinema, has died of brain cancer at the age of 55. Savides, who started out as a fashion photographer, started working in movies in the mid-90s and his gift for bringing an understated beauty to film made him one...
Fulbright Scholar Killed
Filming Syria Violence
May 30, 2012 3:26 AM CDT
Fulbright Scholar Killed Filming Syria Violence
Activist returned to homeland to document uprising
- Syracuse University is mourning a graduate film student who returned to his homeland of Syria to document the country's uprising. Bassel Al Shahade, 28, was killed while filming attacks by government forces in the embattled city of Homs, reports the
. Associates say Shahade, a Fulbright scholar, was a...
Feb 19, 2012 2:40 PM CST
Oscar Voters 94% White
Blacks, Latinos, women are minorities in the academy
- Who votes for Oscars? The list is kept secret, but an LA Times investigation shows 94% of them are white and 77% are male. Blacks and Latinos each make up only 2%. "We need to do a better job" of diversifying, says a governor at the Academy of Motion...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.