Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
After Tour: I'm
Moving to Africa
Nov 29, 2019 5:51 AM CST
Twitter CEO After Tour: I'm Moving to Africa
Jack Dorsey will spend up to half of 2020 on the continent
- Jack Dorsey is moving to Africa. The Twitter and Square CEO announced his plan in a Wednesday tweet after wrapping up a nearly three-week tour of the continent, with stops in Ghana, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and South Africa. "Sad to be leaving the continent...for now," he wrote, adding,...
Sacha Baron Cohen
Calls Out the 'Silicon Six'
Nov 25, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Sacha Baron Cohen Calls Out the 'Silicon Six'
He says Zuckerberg, 5 other tech execs hold too much sway over world's information
actor Sacha Baron Cohen made a lot of headlines last week when he used a speech before the Anti-Defamation League to call out Mark Zuckerberg for allowing bigots to spread lies and hateful propaganda on Facebook. In a new
op-ed adapted from the same speech, Cohen again...
a Big Move on
Oct 30, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
Twitter Making a Big Move on Political Ads
Social media company is banning them starting November 22
- Twitter is banning all political advertising from its service, saying social media companies give advertisers an unfair advantage in proliferating highly targeted, misleading messages, the AP reports. "While internet advertising is incredibly powerful and very effective for commercial advertisers, that power brings significant risks to politics, where it can...
Aug 31, 2019 8:02 AM CDT
Hackers Take Control of Jack Dorsey's Twitter Account
Attack raises fears about security of president's account
- The series of offensive tweets coming from Jack Dorsey on Friday afternoon weren't, of course, from Jack Dorsey. A group of hackers had taken over the Twitter account of the company's co-founder and chief executive, the
reports. The attack lasted no more than 30 minutes, Twitter said,...
Ted Cruz Mocked
After Warning on
May 17, 2019 7:46 AM CDT
Ted Cruz Mocked After Warning on Space Pirate Threat
MSNBC's Chris Hayes called Cruz's follow-up tweet the 'saddest tweet I've ever seen'
- It wasn't exactly the Gettysburg Address, but a speech Ted Cruz made at a recent Senate panel meeting certainly caught the internet's attention. "Since the ancient Greeks first put to sea, nations have recognized the necessity of naval forces and maintaining a superior capability to protect waterborne...
Trump Accuses Twitter of Bias,
Meets With CEO Hours Later
Apr 23, 2019 5:17 PM CDT
Trump Accuses Twitter of Bias, Meets With CEO Hours Later
Jack Dorsey met with POTUS at Trump's invitation
- During President Trump's latest Twitter rampage early Tuesday, he accused the social media platform of being biased against conservatives. Within hours, he was praising Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey after meeting with him personally. The details:
Trump's first tweets:
"'The best thing ever to happen to Twitter
Dec 10, 2018 3:33 PM CST
Twitter CEO Getting Majorly Blasted Over Meditation Retreat
Jack Dorsey's Twitter thread about Myanmar is being called tone deaf
- Jack Dorsey is under serious fire on his own platform thanks to some ill-advised tweets about his birthday present to himself. The Twitter CEO traveled to Myanmar to enjoy a 10-day silent meditation, and he shared all about it in what many are calling a tone deaf series of tweets....
Sep 6, 2018 6:42 AM CDT
Twitter CEO's Heart Rate Tweet Reveals a Surprise
Jack Dorsey's resting rate is close to that of a trained athlete
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has a novel way to prove that he took his testimony before two congressional panels on Wednesday seriously. Afterward, he tweeted a screenshot of his heart rate from his Apple Watch, reports Business Insider . The stats show that the 41-year-old's rate spiked from a resting...
Empty Chair Says It All:
Senate Is Annoyed With Google
Sep 5, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Empty Chair Says It All: Senate Is Annoyed With Google
Sheryl Sandberg, Jack Dorsey appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee
- Facebook and Twitter executives, defending their companies on Capitol Hill, said Wednesday they're aggressively trying to root out foreign interests seeking to sow divisions in American democracy as the November elections near. Facebook's No. 2 executive, Sheryl Sandberg, and Twitter's CEO, Jack Dorsey, testified before the Senate...
Alex Jones Called
for 'Battle Rifles.'
Twitter Called for
Aug 15, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
Alex Jones Called for 'Battle Rifles.' Twitter Called for a Suspension
For 7 days, Alex can't tweet, retweet, or like other posts on Twitter—a 'mild sanctioning' to some
- The Twitter-Alex Jones saga continues. "We'll enforce [our rules]" if Jones breaks them, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey promised last week amid backlash on why the conspiracy theorist accused of hate speech is still afforded a platform on Dorsey's site, and it appears Twitter has followed through. The...
Aug 8, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Twitter CEO Defends Alex Jones Decision, Gets Pushback
Jack Dorsey says it's up to journalists to refute conspiracy theorist's content
- Alex Jones and his Infowars website have seen a crackdown this week from Apple, Facebook, Spotify , and YouTube, but Twitter still won't ban Jones' conspiracy-theory-laden content, which has been labeled by some of the other tech giants as "hate speech." CNN reports that on Tuesday, Twitter CEO...
Jun 12, 2018 11:37 AM CDT
Twitter CEO's Restaurant Choice Ignites Controversy
After criticism, Jack Dorsey laments eating at Chick-fil-A during Pride Month
- It started innocently enough: Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter and Square, tried to plug his latter company by tweeting that he'd saved money by using its mobile payment service. The problem, at least in some eyes, is that he saved that money while eating at Chick-fil-A. The fast-food chain...
Twitter Blocked From Trump
Tech Summit Over an Emoji
Dec 14, 2016 4:24 PM CST
Twitter Blocked From Trump Tech Summit Over an Emoji
The Trump campaign wanted a Crooked Hillary emoji to use during a debate
- Call it EmojiGate. Donald Trump summoned some of the biggest names in tech—Amazon, Facebook, Apple, etc.—to Trump Tower for a meeting Wednesday. But one name was conspicuously absent: Twitter, which Politico notes is practically Trump's "de facto press channel." A source tells the Hill...
Breitbart Editor Over
Leslie Jones Abuse
Jul 20, 2016 10:59 AM CDT
Twitter Bans Breitbart Editor Over Leslie Jones Abuse
Site is cracking down on 'targeted abuse'
- Twitter has promised to crack down on "targeted abuse and harassment," and it appears to be serious about it: A conservative writer accused of leading a hate campaign against
star Leslie Jones was banned from the site Tuesday, BuzzFeed reports. Milo Yiannopoulos, Breitbart.com's tech editor,...
Jul 9, 2016 4:10 PM CDT
Twitter Creator's Twitter Account Gets Hacked
So what hope is there for the rest of us
- That's got to be embarrassing. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey—the man who sent the world's first tweet—had his Twitter account hacked Saturday, Engadget reports. The hacker group OurMine posted a few videos to Dorsey's account followed by a tweet reading, “Hey, it’s OurMine, we...
Mar 21, 2016 1:48 PM CDT
CEO's 'Saddest' Tweets Mark Twitter's 10th Birthday
Plus all the other celebrations accompanying this milestone event
- Twitter is now a brash, confident, occasionally obnoxious tween. The social media site celebrates its 10
birthday Monday, remembering on its blog how it all started on March 21, 2006, with a single tweet by head Twitterer Jack Dorsey that read: "just setting up my twttr." "Thank...
ISIS' New Target:
Feb 24, 2016 6:05 PM CST
ISIS' New Target: Mark Zuckerberg
They're also none too happy with Twitter's Jack Dorsey
- Angry over efforts to keep their propaganda off social media, ISIS targeted Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook and Jack Dorsey of Twitter in a 25-minute video released Wednesday, Vocativ reports. Vocativ found the video on Telegram, one of the less popular social-media sites ISIS has been forced to use thanks to...
5 Top Execs Out
in Twitter Exodus
Jan 25, 2016 2:07 AM CST
5 Top Execs Out in Twitter Exodus
CEO says they're leaving voluntarily
- Twitter now has five fewer characters at the top. The company confirmed Sunday night that four top execs—media head Katie Jacobs Stanton, product head Kevin Weil, engineering chief Alex Roetter, and human resources VP Brian "Skip" Schipper—are leaving in what amounts to a major shake-up, reports Reuters...
Nov 19, 2015 1:36 PM CST
Tech CEO Dorsey Makes $277M on His Birthday
Square was trading stronger than expected in its IPO
- It's a pretty good birthday for Jack Dorsey, who doubles as CEO of both Twitter and Square. The latter company—which deals in mobile payments—began trading publicly for the first time Thursday, and shares were trading nearly $4 above the $9 IPO price. Dorsey, who turned 39 Thursday,...
by Parting With
$200M in Stock
Oct 23, 2015 9:36 AM CDT
Twitter CEO Floors Workers by Parting With $200M in Stock
Jack Dorsey pumps up employees: 'I'm confident we can make Twitter big!'
- Twitter employees have had a chaotic go of it over the past few weeks: first the shakeup of co-founder Jack Dorsey coming on board permanently as CEO , then an unpleasant round of layoffs that purged 8% of the company's staff. Brighter news, however, has since come down their feeds,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
CNN Fires Chris Cuomo, Citing New Information
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Diabetics' Quest for This 7% Target 'Could Kill Them'
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.