Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
OK for Climbable
Apr 23, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Amazon Receives OK for Climbable Office Tower
Building across river from DC will rival Washington Monument on area's skyline
: Amazon won local approval Saturday to build a helix-shaped tower to anchor its second headquarters in Virginia, across the Potomac River from Washington, DC. The vote by the Arlington County Board was unanimous, the AP reports. Board Chair Katie Cristol had said officials sought feedback from residents and worked...
Dec 21, 2021 5:29 PM CST
Architect Turned Buildings Inside Out
Richard Rogers designed Pompidou Centre and Millennium Dome
- Richard Rogers, the British architect who helped change the look of modern cities by putting features like elevators and air ducts on the outside of his buildings, has died at 88. Rogers, who founded the firm Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, burst into public view in 1972 with the Pompidou...
His Dorm Design Is Likened
to 'Psychological Experiment'
in case you missed it
Nov 6, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
His Dorm Design Is Likened to 'Psychological Experiment'
Billionaire Charlie Munger is paying for a largely windowless dorm on California coast at UCSB
- It's good to be the king. Or if you have enough money, it might even be good to be the architect. However, one billionaire's foray into the field is generating all kinds of controversy in California. The unusual tale:
Charlie Munger, the 97-year-old right-hand man to
in Small Cities
Oct 28, 2021 7:32 AM CDT
China Bans Super-Tall Buildings in Small Cities
Country is cracking down on 'vanity projects'
- China is cracking down on skyscrapers—especially tall ones in small cities. As part of a wider bid to restrict what authorities call "vanity projects" and "ugly architecture," authorities have said cities with populations below 3 million will not be allowed to build high-rises taller than 492...
There's Finally a Plan for the
Abandoned House of Soviets
Mar 7, 2021 9:31 AM CST
There's Finally a Plan for the Abandoned House of Soviets
After 42 years, it'll be demolished and reconstructed
- For 42 years, a giant head-like building has loomed large over Kaliningrad, Russia. For 42 years, it's also been empty. Now, the House of Soviets is set to be demolished—and then reconstructed. Writing for the
New York Times
, Andrew E. Kramer has the fascinating story of the building,...
Trump Order Requires
for Federal Buildings
Dec 21, 2020 5:32 PM CST
Trump Order Requires Classical Architecture for Federal Buildings
Executive order slams 'unappealing' modernist buildings in Washington, DC
- With 29 days left in office, President Trump is seeking to leave his mark on the architecture of Washington, DC. An executive order issued Monday states that new federal buildings in the nation's capital should be constructed in classical styles, the Federalist reports. "Classical architecture encompasses such styles...
France Goes Old-School
on Notre Dame Design
Jul 10, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
France Goes Old-School on Notre Dame Design
Roof, famous spire to be reconstructed to look the same as before massive fire
- Since a fire destroyed much of the roof of Paris' Notre Dame cathedral last April, architects have proposed new designs including a rooftop pool and a giant park. But if you're one for tradition, you'll be happy to know those options have been ruled out. French President Emmanuel...
Architect Who 'Aspired
for the Sky' Dies at 92
Jul 20, 2019 2:29 PM CDT
Architect Who 'Aspired for the Sky' Dies at 92
- Architect César Pelli, renowned for designing some of the world's tallest buildings, has died, his firm said. He was 92. Pelli, an Argentine-American whose work ranged from skyscrapers in Malaysia and New York to an arena in Tulsa, Oklahoma, died Friday at his home in New Haven, Connecticut,...
137 Years Later, Iconic Church
Gets a Building Permit
Jun 9, 2019 8:02 AM CDT
137 Years Later, Iconic Church Gets a Building Permit
After 137 years, Gaudi's Sagrada Familia basilica will finish construction legally
- Architect Antoni Gaudi broke ground on his iconic La Sagrada Familia basilica in 1882, and if he weren't long dead, he might be gratified to know that in the year of our lord 2019 he's finally got a building permit, reports CNN . Still unfinished after 137 years , the...
of Pisa's Lean
Nov 21, 2018 10:05 AM CST
Leaning Tower of Pisa's Lean Has Changed
Pisa's landmark still holding strong after 800 years
- No need to rush to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa before it falls. The famous Italian tower is doing just fine more than 800 years after it first started tilting during construction, according to a group that's been monitoring the 190-foot Tuscan monument since 2001. It's in...
136 Years Later,
to Be Completed
Oct 19, 2018 1:10 PM CDT
136 Years Later, Famous Landmark to Be Completed
Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain, finally has necessary permits to be finished
- It's taken nearly 140 years of building and two recent years of talks , but it looks like Barcelona's most-visited tourist attraction, the unfinished Sagrada Familia, may finally see its finishing touches put on. The
New York Times
report a $41 million, 10-year deal has been struck...
'Hands of God'
Appear to Hold
Aug 2, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
'Hands of God' Appear to Hold New Bridge
Ba Na Hills' Golden Bridge is a hit around the world
- Emerging from a mountainside 4,600 feet above sea level, two giant hands appear to hold a thin gold thread. Only it's not a thread at all, but a nearly 500-foot-long bridge. Cau Vang or the Golden Bridge, which recently opened in Vietnam's Ba Na Hills after about...
Route 66 Makes It
Onto a Dubious List
Jun 27, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
Route 66 Makes It Onto a Dubious List
It's one of 11 historic US sites considered 'endangered'
- Hundreds of historic sites have found their way over the past three decades onto the annual "endangered sites" list put out by the National Trust for Historic Preservation , and this year's lineup includes one of America's most famous thoroughfares. Route 66 joins 10 other cultural or architectural...
New 94-Story Chicago Tower
Will Get 'Blow-Through' Floor
Jul 23, 2017 4:41 PM CDT
New 94-Story Chicago Tower Will Get 'Blow-Through' Floor
83rd floor will be completely empty for wind to blow through
- Only one guest is allowed on the 83rd floor of Chicago’s future 94-story skyscraper : the city’s famous winds. According to the
, plans for the Vista Tower, a luxury development that has already broken ground along the Chicago River, got a last-minute modification when wind tunnel tests...
Is It a Forest or a City?
Actually, It's Both
Jun 27, 2017 8:30 AM CDT
Is It a Forest or a City? Actually, It's Both
Experimental 'Forest City' to be complete in China in 2020
- A new city being built along the Liujiang River in China's Guangxi Province will include houses, recreational spaces, offices, hotels, schools, and a hospital—and yet it's "unlike any before," per Inhabitat . The Liuzhou Forest City, to be connected to the much larger city of Liuzhou...
Original Owners Selling Their
Frank Lloyd Wright Home
Apr 22, 2017 10:49 AM CDT
Original Owners Selling Their Frank Lloyd Wright Home
Got $1.4M? You just have to deal with Minnesota winters
- A house recently listed for sale in a Minneapolis suburb is causing a bit of a stir. That's because, almost 60 years ago, Paul and Helen Olfelt worked with Frank Lloyd Wright in the year before his death to build their dream home in St. Louis Park; now in...
Is Out of This World
Apr 5, 2017 8:45 PM CDT
Futuristic Skyscraper Is Out of This World
What if your office traveled thousands of miles a day?
- Building from the ground up is so last century. Skyscrapers of the future could very well hang from an asteroid placed into orbit over Earth, suspended over a landscape their occupants parachute down to as part of their commute home. Sound bonkers? Wackadoo? Out of this world? Popular Mechanics uses...
Planned Skyscraper Will
Morph Before Your Eyes
Feb 21, 2017 3:47 PM CST
Planned Skyscraper Will Morph Before Your Eyes
Dynamic Tower in Dubai would feature rotating apartments
- An architect's bold vision or a crazy idea doomed to never get off the ground? Time will tell in Dubai. The city is known for its impressive architectural feats, but one structure in the works has the potential to be more awe-inspiring than the rest. Dynamic Architecture is designing...
New Apple HQ Takes Attention
to Detail to Insane Heights
Feb 7, 2017 4:39 PM CST
New Apple HQ Takes Attention to Detail to Insane Heights
18 months to figure out door handles, 30 pages of guidelines on wood use
- It turns out applying the same design principles used to make a smartphone to a 2.8 million-square-foot building can make for a truly bizarre construction experience. Reuters reports Apple's new headquarters, the creatively named Apple Campus 2, is Steve Jobs' final project for the company he co-founded. Fittingly,...
The NSA (Probably)
Has a Base in This
Nov 17, 2016 1:48 PM CST
The NSA (Probably) Has a Base in This Creepy NYC Building
The Intercept reports that the AT&T Building is a key surveillance site
- For decades, the NSA has operated a sophisticated intelligence-gathering operation out of the ominous AT&T Building in Manhattan, the Intercept reports. The windowless building, located at 33 Thomas St. in lower Manhattan, has long attracted attention from New Yorkers curious about its purpose. When the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
Topless Anti-Russia Protester Crashes Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.