Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Ron DeSantis Signs
Lia Thomas Swim Victory
Mar 23, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Ron DeSantis Signs Proclamation Denying Lia Thomas Swim Victory
Florida governor says Emma Weyant, a Florida native, is the real winner
- Lia Thomas won an NCAA Division I title last week , but not according to Ron DeSantis. The Florida governor on Tuesday signed a proclamation declaring second-place winner Emma Weyant, who grew up and graduated from high school in Florida before going on to swim for the University of Virginia, the...
2 GOP Governors Veto
Transgender Sports Bans
Mar 22, 2022 6:13 PM CDT
2 GOP Governors Veto Transgender Sports Bans
' I always try to err on the side of kindness,' Utah Gov. Spencer Cox says
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox vetoed a ban on transgender students playing girls’ sports on Tuesday, becoming the second Republican governor this week to overrule state lawmakers taking on youth sports amid broader culture wars as LGBTQ visibility grows. Cox joins Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb, who vetoed a statewide ban on...
Mar 22, 2022 12:34 PM CDT
Twitter Spat Costs Author Literary Prize Nomination
Lauren Hough, a lesbian, says she was wrongly painted as transphobic
New York Times
best-selling author says her debut memoir has been removed from contention for a Lambda Literary Award following a dust-up on Twitter. Lauren Hough's essay collection
Leaving Isn't The Hardest Thing
—including tales from her time as a cult member, Air Force airman, cable guy,...
Idaho Bill on Trans Youth
Could Send Parents
to Prison for Life
Mar 10, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Idaho Bill on Trans Youth Could Send Parents to Prison for Life
They could be hit with felony for seeking gender-affirming medical care for kids, even in other states
- As parents of transgender children in Texas grapple with the state's new law over providing gender-affirming medical care, Idaho parents are now facing similar issues, with even more restrictions piled on. The
reports that on Tuesday, the Idaho House of Representatives passed a bill barring such medical...
Gonna Be OK'
Mar 5, 2022 9:30 AM CST
GOP Governor to Transgender Athletes: 'It's Gonna Be OK'
Utah's Spencer Cox says he'll veto bill to ban transgender student athletes in girls sports
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox said that he plans to veto legislation passed Friday that would ban transgender student-athletes from competing in girls sports. Without his support, Utah is unlikely to join the 11 states, all Republican-led, that have recently enacted bans on transgender girls wanting to compete in school sports...
Mar 4, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Another GOP Governor Targets Transgender Athletes
Iowa's Kim Reynolds bars them from girls sports as a 'fairness issue'; LGBTQ activists push back
- Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds calls new legislation she signed Thursday that bars transgender athletes from taking part in girls and women's sports a "fairness issue"—an assertion that LGBTQ advocates disagree with, and one that legal experts say will likely end up in court. House File 2416...
Texas Judge Blocks Probe of
Parents of Transgender Teen
Mar 3, 2022 1:31 AM CST
Texas Judge Blocks Probe of Parents of Transgender Teen
It's a temporary move
A Texas judge has temporarily blocked the state's child welfare agency from investigating the parents of a transgender teen. The couple was previously under investigation for alleged child abuse due to providing gender-affirming medical care for the teen, and the judge's order is in response to a...
White House Slams 'Dangerous'
Move by Texas Governor
Feb 24, 2022 9:20 AM CST
White House Slams 'Dangerous' Move by Texas Governor
Greg Abbott wants gender-transitioning procedures investigated as child abuse
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday ordered Texas' child welfare agency to investigate reports of "gender-transitioning procedures" as child abuse, in a move LGBTQ advocates say will strip transgender children of their rights. Legislation to classify gender-affirming medical care as child abuse passed the state Senate but failed to pass...
One-Fifth of Gen Z Adults in
America Say They're LGBTQ
Feb 18, 2022 12:21 PM CST
One-Fifth of Gen Z Adults in America Say They're LGBTQ
A record 7.1% of US adults overall identify as such, per latest Gallup poll
- When Gallup took its first survey to gauge how many Americans identified as LGBTQ back in 2012, just 3.5% of US adults put themselves in the category of being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, the options offered then in the poll. In just a decade, that percentage has doubled—...
Don't Want Transitioned
Swimmer to Compete
Feb 4, 2022 4:55 PM CST
Teammates Don't Want Transitioned Swimmer to Compete
Letter from 16 members of Penn women's team says Lia Thomas has an unfair advantage
- Lia Thomas' teammates have weighed in against allowing the transgender swimmer to compete on the University of Pennsylvania women's squad. A letter sent to Ivy League and school officials, which says it's from 16 unidentified team members, asked that they not challenge the NCAA's revised policy on...
US Transgender Swimmers
Get Some New Rules
Feb 2, 2022 9:35 AM CST
US Transgender Swimmers Get Some New Rules
Panel to decide if transitioned athletes like Lia Thomas have unfair advantage at elite level
- A panel of three medical experts will determine whether a transgender swimmer has an unfair advantage over other female competitors before they are accepted at the elite level, according to a new policy from USA Swimming . The panel will consider "prior physical development of the athlete as a male...
Patton Oswalt's Message
on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Jan 3, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Patton Oswalt's Message on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Comedian insists he's an 'LGBTQ ally' after post about his longtime friendship with Chappelle
- The comedy business can be a somewhat insular one, where everybody knows everybody and ties stretch back decades. So it's not surprising that comedian Patton Oswalt has known Dave Chappelle for more than three decades, and his New Year's Eve post on that topic is now drawing heat....
Dec 30, 2021 9:10 AM CST
Champ Breaks More New Ground
Trans contestant Amy Schneider has won 21 straight games, most ever by a woman
contestant Amy Schneider has now won 21 games in a row, the most ever by a woman, report the
. She also collected more than $800,000 during the run, the fourth-largest sum overall in regular play. Schneider is transgender, and she is the first...
France's First Lady Preps
Lawsuit: I Was Not Born Male
Dec 22, 2021 12:06 PM CST
France's First Lady Preps Lawsuit: I Was Not Born Male
Brigitte Macron readies to file complaint over conspiracy theory that she's transgender
- The name Jean-Michel Trogneux has been floating around in social media circles for months, and France's first lady isn't happy about it. That's because conspiracy theorists are claiming that's Brigitte Macron's birth name, and that she was born male, prompting the 68-year-old wife of Emmanuel...
She Broke a Bunch
of Swim Records,
Dec 17, 2021 1:00 PM CST
She Broke a Bunch of Swim Records, Now Faces Transphobia
Controversy swirls over U of Penn's Lia Thomas, who moved to women's team after transitioning
- The debate on trans athletes participating in college sports has just been kicked up a notch after a University of Pennsylvania swimmer broke three school records and two national ones over the past month. LGBTQ advocates say the ensuing controversy has veered into transphobic waters. NBC News reports on the...
School Board Campaign Leaves
Mom Afraid for Her Daughter
Nov 29, 2021 3:05 PM CST
School Board Campaign Leaves Mom Afraid for Her Daughter
Family ultimately gave up on Minnesota town
- A family moved to a small city in Minnesota thinking they’d found their dream come true. Chris Waits was leaving the Navy and traveled to Hastings for a job interview and, he said, his wife, Kelsey, fell in love with it. "Kelsey said, 'Well, I hope the...
Eddie Redmayne Regrets
The Danish Girl
Nov 22, 2021 4:00 PM CST
Eddie Redmayne Regrets Role in
The Danish Girl
There was opposition at the time to not having a transgender actor play Lili Elbe
- If Eddie Redmayne—who played a transgender character in
The Danish Girl
—had to do it all over again, he wouldn't. "I wouldn't take it on now," the actor told the
. There was criticism at the time that the role should've gone to...
A Tech CEO Transitioned, Was
Shocked by What She Found
Oct 31, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
A Tech CEO Transitioned, Was Shocked by What She Found
Natalie Egan quickly discovered how differently she was treated as a woman
- When it comes to knowing how male and female entrepreneurs are treated differently, it's hard to argue that Natalie J. Egan knows it best. Egan was assigned male at birth and raised as a boy, and a decade ago she was a full-on "tech bro," writes Stephanie...
Putin Likens Trans Views
to 'Crimes Against Humanity'
Oct 22, 2021 1:46 PM CDT
Putin Likens Trans Views to 'Crimes Against Humanity'
Russian president rails against concept of gender fluidity, Western culture
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday said the teaching of gender fluidity "verges on crimes against humanity." Putin spoke on a number of issues at an annual meeting of the Valdai Discussion Club in Sochi, Russia, including cancel culture, reverse racism, and other "sociocultural disturbances" in the...
Netflix Co-CEO on Chappelle
Controversy: 'I Screwed Up'
Oct 20, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Netflix Co-CEO on Chappelle Controversy: 'I Screwed Up'
Ted Sarandos says his defense of comedy special lacked humanity
- A trans Netflix employee who was among the first to speak out about the $24.1 million Dave Chappelle comedy special
directs her criticism toward Netflix's defense of the show in an essay published Monday. "When a company like Netflix says something like, 'We do...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.