Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Meta Unloads Giphy,
Is Out Hundreds of Millions
May 24, 2023 6:47 AM CDT
Meta Unloads Giphy, Is Out Hundreds of Millions
Facebook parent sells GIF search engine to Shutterstock for $53M after UK regulators' decision
- In 2020, Meta scooped up Giphy, a GIF search engine used by Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and other platforms, for $400 million. On Tuesday, Facebook's parent company announced it had sold the product to stock image service Shutterstock for a mere $53 million—effectively taking a nearly $350 million loss....
UK Just Nixed the Biggest
Tech Deal in History
Apr 26, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
UK Just Nixed the Biggest Tech Deal in History
Microsoft's $69B attempt to buy video game maker Activision scuttled over fears of stifling competition
- British regulators have blocked Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy video game maker Activision Blizzard over worries that it would stifle competition in the cloud gaming market. The UK's Competition and Markets Authority said in its final report Wednesday that "the only effective remedy" to the significant...
Pfizer Buys 'Goose That Is
Laying the Golden Eggs'
Mar 14, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Pfizer Buys 'Goose That Is Laying the Golden Eggs'
It will acquire cancer biotech firm Seagen, which specializes in ADC treatments, for $43M
- It's not Pfizer's priciest acquisition by a long shot , but the numbers are staggering anyway: The pharma giant will pay $43 billion in cash for Seagen, a cancer biotech company that has yet to be profitable. What you need to know:
What Seagen does.
The Washington-based company uses
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's
Takeover of Activision Blizzard
Dec 8, 2022 4:15 PM CST
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's Takeover of Activision Blizzard
But Microsoft has good shot of winning a legal challenge
- The Federal Trade Commission said Thursday it is suing to block Microsoft’s planned $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard, saying it could suppress competitors to its Xbox game consoles and its growing games subscription business. The FTC voted 3-1 to issue the complaint after a closed-door...
Amazon Buys Roomba, Maybe
to Peek 'Inside Your Home'
Aug 5, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Amazon Buys Roomba, Maybe to Peek 'Inside Your Home'
Retail giant gets into the robot vacuum business
- You'll soon have one more thing to be forced to thank Amazon for: a cleaner home. That's because the retail giant is set to buy iRobot Corp., the company that makes Roomba vacuum cleaners, as well as other robotic tidying-up products like mops and lawn mowers. CNBC reports...
Netflix Signs Biggest
Content Deal Yet
Sep 22, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Netflix Signs Biggest Content Deal Yet
Streaming service buys Roald Dahl's entire catalog, plans 'unique universe'
- Netflix has acquired the rights to the estate of Roald Dahl, the late British novelist who brought us some of the most beloved children's books of all time, with plans to create a "unique universe" of offerings based on those works. The company has purchased the Roald Dahl...
Amazon Makes Its
May 26, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Amazon Makes Its 2nd-Largest Acquisition
It will buy MGM Studios for $8.45B in deal announced Wednesday
- Amazon has made "its boldest move yet into the entertainment industry" with its planned acquisition of movie and TV giant MGM Studios, per CNBC . The company announced Wednesday that it would buy the studio for $8.45 billion, thereby adding MGM's 4,000 films —including the
Casualty of COVID
Nov 2, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Another Corporate Casualty of COVID
Friendly's restaurant chain, known for its ice cream sundaes, has filed for Chapter 11
- Friendly's Restaurants, an East Coast dining chain known for its sundaes, is filing for bankruptcy protection. The company, which runs its restaurants under the parent company FIC Restaurants Inc., will sell substantially all of its assets to the restaurant company Amici Partners Group, per the AP . All 130 of...
Now, a 'Disruptive
Force in Wireless'
Jul 26, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
DOJ Approves $26.5B Deal. Now, a 'Disruptive Force in Wireless'
T-Mobile greenlit to take over Sprint, while Dish now enters the arena as 4th big wireless company
- US regulators are approving T-Mobile's $26.5 billion takeover of rival Sprint, despite fears of higher prices and job cuts. Friday's approval by the Justice Department and five state attorneys general comes after Sprint and T-Mobile agreed to conditions that would set up satellite-TV provider Dish as a...
At 12:02am, Disney Made
a World-Shaking Acquisition
Mar 20, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
At 12:02am, Disney Made a World-Shaking Acquisition
Its $71B purchase of 21st Century Fox properties is complete
- "Disney had been a mere behemoth," observes the
New York Times
. At 12:02am Wednesday, it became something greater, a Goliath among Davids. That's thanks to the closing of its $71.3 billion acquisition of 21st Century Fox properties, transforming Disney into an entertainment company of unprecedented...
As Michael Kors,
Versace Merge, a
Big Name Change
Sep 25, 2018 8:23 AM CDT
As Michael Kors, Versace Merge, a Big Name Change
After $2.1B buy goes through, new company will be called Capri Holdings
- Michael Kors is buying the Italian fashion house Gianni Versace in a deal worth more than $2 billion, continuing its hard charge into the world of high-end fashion. The deal announced Tuesday follows the New York handbag maker's $1.35 billion acquisition last year of the shoemaker Jimmy Choo,...
SiriusXM Is Buying Pandora
Sep 24, 2018 11:10 AM CDT
SiriusXM Is Buying Pandora
In an all-stock $3.5B deal
- Subscription radio company SiriusXM says it's buying music streaming service Pandora Media Inc. in a stock deal valued at about $3.5 billion that'll allow it to expand its service beyond cars and into homes and other mobile areas. Pandora stockholders will receive 1.44 newly issued SiriusXM...
Is Great News
for This Company
Aug 7, 2018 2:12 PM CDT
Blowback Against Plastic Straws Is Great News for This Company
Indiana's Aardvark Straws makes a paper version, and the company was just purchased
- The sole US producer of paper straws has been bought up in the latest sign that plastic straws are becoming a thing of the past . In a deal announced Monday, disposable tableware manufacturer Hoffmaster Group will acquire Indiana-based Aardvark Straws, whose degradable and compostable paper straws have been in high...
Walmart's Huge Bet on India
Involves Short-Term Pain
May 9, 2018 10:33 AM CDT
Walmart's Huge Bet on India Involves Short-Term Pain
Pays $16B for stake in Flipkart
- Walmart is breaking into India's massive and growing consumer market with its biggest acquisition yet, spending $16 billion for a controlling stake in the online retailer Flipkart, whose delivery drivers, with their motorcycles and oversized backpacks, have become ubiquitous across the nation of 1.3 billion people. Flipkart's...
Nestle's 3rd Biggest Acquisition
in 152 Years Involves Starbucks
May 7, 2018 8:11 AM CDT
Nestle's 3rd Biggest Acquisition in 152 Years Involves Starbucks
Paying $7B for right to sell Starbucks beans, ground coffee, pods
- How much does it cost to secure the right to sell Starbucks coffee? Nestle says the answer to that question is $7.15 billion, the amount it on Monday announced it would pay Starbucks for a business whose annual sales total $2 billion, reports the AP . The acquisition, the third-biggest...
Netflix Makes Its
Aug 7, 2017 10:56 AM CDT
Netflix Makes Its First Acquisition
Scoops up Millarworld in major comic-book company deal
- Netflix has made its first acquisition: comic book publisher Millarworld, whose graphic novels
have already graced the silver screen. CNBC says Netflix plans to create new films and shows for both kids and adults based on Millarworld characters. While there's no word on how much...
Michael Kors Scoops Up
Jimmy Choo for $1.2B
Jul 25, 2017 8:28 AM CDT
Michael Kors Scoops Up Jimmy Choo for $1.2B
Handbag maker trying to step up its game in luxury goods market with high-end shoes
- Shoes and handbags go together like … well, Jimmy Choo and Michael Kors, now that the latter has agreed to purchase the former for $1.2 billion, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Michael Kors is looking to bolster its business with the luxury shoe brand as sales of its own...
Burger King Owner Buys
Popeyes for More Than $1.6B
Feb 21, 2017 12:32 PM CST
Burger King Owner Buys Popeyes for More Than $1.6B
Restaurant Brands also owns Tim Hortons
- Doughnuts, hamburgers, and as of Tuesday … chicken. That's what's now on the menu for Restaurant Brands International, the owner of Burger King and Tim Hortons that just raided the fast-food henhouse to buy the Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen chain for nearly $1.65 billion, per the
by Bayer for $66B
Sep 14, 2016 9:52 AM CDT
Chemical Brothers: Monsanto Acquired by Bayer for $66B
Bayer AG is paying big bucks to acquire the seed and weedkiller company
- After months of courtship, German drug and farm chemical maker Bayer AG has finally reached an agreement to buy US seed and weedkiller company Monsanto, in a deal valued at $66 billion, the AP reports. In a statement Wednesday, Bayer said it's paying Monsanto shareholders $128 per share in...
to Walmart Makes
Random Guy a
Aug 9, 2016 8:57 AM CDT
Jet.com's Sale to Walmart Makes Random Guy a Millionaire
Eric Martin's $18K investment to pay off big-time
- Sum up this story with whichever word you like: Luck. Foresight. Jealousy. In early 2015, Eric Martin spent $18,000 in a bid to win a contest being offered by the new startup Jet.com: Sign up the highest number of people for a preview version of the site, get...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.