Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ad Agency Sorry Tourism Video
Used 'Inappropriate' Images
Jul 3, 2023 9:03 AM CDT
Ad Agency Sorry Tourism Video Used 'Inappropriate' Images
Some 'Philippines' footage was actually from UAE, Brazil, and other nations, agency sheepishly admits
- There's nothing wrong with sharing a promotional video showing off your country's breathtaking rice terraces and sand dunes—unless, of course, those rice terraces and sand dunes aren't actually in your own country. That's what ad agency DDB Philippines is now apologizing for after it was...
800K Maryland License Plates
Feature a Very Odd URL
Jun 1, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
800K Maryland License Plates Feature a Very Odd URL
Website on older plates now lead to a site that promotes online casinos in the Philippines
- Nearly 800,000 cars in Maryland are driving around with older license plates featuring a tribute to the War of 1812, as well as a URL that's causing the state's Motor Vehicle Administration a bit of a headache. Per WBAL , the plates feature a drawing of Fort McHenry,...
Real-Life Crucifixions Are Back
After 3-Year COVID Pause
Apr 7, 2023 9:06 AM CDT
Real-Life Crucifixions Are Back After 3-Year COVID Pause
Church frowns on Good Friday reenactment of Jesus' suffering, but it's tradition in Philippines
- Eight Filipinos were nailed to crosses to reenact Jesus Christ's suffering in a gory Good Friday tradition that draws thousands of devotees and tourists to the Philippines, despite the practice being rejected by the Catholic Church. The real-life crucifixions in the farming village of San Pedro Cutud in Pampanga...
This Nation Spends
the Most Time Online
Apr 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
This Nation Spends the Most Time Online
South Africans spend average 578 minutes per day on the internet, per Atlas VPN
- It can be hard to accurately estimate how much time we spend online, though Atlas VPN notes that for many of us, it's a "significant portion of our day." Using data on internet usage trends among internet users 16 to 64 years old, the VPN service found...
Biden's Critics Have a Theme:
Shoot Down the Balloon
Feb 3, 2023 2:05 PM CST
Biden's Critics Have a Theme: Shoot Down the Balloon
Pentagon is so far resisting the idea
- China has admitted that the balloon first spotted high above Montana is one of its own. Beijing insists it's a wayward weather balloon, while the US suspects it's a spy balloon. Whichever is the case, a theme has emerged on the right. "SHOOT DOWN THE BALLOON,"...
US Just Made a Move
to Counter China
Feb 2, 2023 11:30 AM CST
US Just Made a Move to Counter China
US forces get access to 4 more sites in the Philippines
- The US has struck a military deal with the Philippines in what the
New York Times
see as a clear move to counter China's might in the region. Defense chief Lloyd Austin and Philippines leader Ferdinand Marcos Jr. announced Thursday that US forces will have...
Human Rights Abuses
Dec 10, 2022 2:15 PM CST
Protesters Denounce Human Rights Abuses
Extrajudicial killings are increasing under Marcos, Philippine opponents say
- Hundreds of people marched in the Philippine capital on Saturday protesting what they said was a rising number of extrajudicial killings and other injustices under the administration of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. The protesters, led by a Philippines-based rights group, gathered at a public square in Manila before marching toward...
The Odds of This Lottery
Outcome Are Just Insane
Oct 4, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
The Odds of This Lottery Outcome Are Just Insane
433 to share jackpot in Philippines after Saturday's unusual draw
- Individuals who purchased winning tickets for a $4 million lottery jackpot in the Philippines will have to settle for less than $10,000 each following Saturday's controversial draw. A total of 433 people selected the winning combination in the Grand Lotto lottery, which was highly unusual. The six numbers—...
Court Upholds Nobel Winner's
'Cyber Libel' Conviction
Jul 8, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
Court Upholds Nobel Winner's 'Cyber Libel' Conviction
Ressa was prosecuted under Philippines law that took effect after story was published
: Maria Ressa's Nobel Peace Prize wasn't enough to convince a court in the Philippines of the merits of her appeal against a "cyber libel" conviction. The court not only upheld the convictions of the Rappler news site co-founder and former staffer Reynaldo Santos Jr., it increased...
'This Is Intimidation'
Jun 29, 2022 1:24 PM CDT
Nobel Peace Prize Winner: 'This Is Intimidation'
Maria Ressa decries ordered shutdown of Rappler in Philippines
- Months after winning a Nobel Peace Prize for her efforts to "expose abuse of power, use of violence, and growing authoritarianism" in the Philippines, Maria Ressa says local authorities have ordered her Rappler news site to shut down. Ressa, a former CNN bureau chief and
Person of the...
Philippine Gov't Attorney
Killed in Uber on
Jun 20, 2022 1:50 AM CDT
Philippine Gov't Attorney Killed in Uber on US Vacation
It's not clear whether he was targeted
- A government attorney for the Philippines was fatally shot in an Uber while visiting Philadelphia, officials said Sunday. John Albert Laylo was heading to Philadelphia International Airport with his mother to board a flight and was stopped in the Uber at a red light near the University of Pennsylvania around...
7 Dead After Philippine
Ferry Goes Up in Flames
May 23, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
7 Dead After Philippine Ferry Goes Up in Flames
120 people were rescued in Monday disaster
- A ferry carrying more than 130 people caught fire Monday while approaching a northeastern Philippine province, killing at least seven people while most passengers and crewmembers were rescued, the coast guard said. At least seven people remained missing and 23 others were injured and brought to a hospital, including the...
Missing Picasso Spotted
on Imelda Marcos' Wall
May 16, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Missing Picasso Spotted on Imelda Marcos' Wall
Anti-corruption officials attempted to seize it in the past
- It’s doubtful anyone was surprised, but the appearance of a long-missing Picasso painting in footage from a recent Marcos family gathering certainly raised some eyebrows, particularly those of Ruben Carranza, who served on the Presidential Commission on Good Government, according to the
The PCGG was established in 1986...
It Looks Like a Landslide
for Dictator's Son
May 9, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
It Looks Like a Landslide for Dictator's Son
Ferdinand Marcos Jr. way ahead in early results from the Philippines
- The son and namesake of ousted Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos took a commanding lead in an unofficial vote count in Monday’s presidential election in the deeply divided democracy. With 80% of the votes tabulated, Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had 25.9 million, far ahead of his closest challenger, current Vice...
With New Law,
Mar 7, 2022 8:27 AM CST
With New Law, Philippines Creates 'Line That Adults Cannot Cross'
President Duterte signs bill raising age of consent from 12 to 16 to help prevent sex abuse, rape
- For decades, activists in the Philippines have been lobbying to get a law passed that would raise the age of sexual consent from 12 to 16. Finally, their efforts have paid off. On Monday, the office of President Rodrigo Duterte announced he'd signed a bill into law that officially...
Typhoon Death Toll Surges
Dec 20, 2021 12:56 AM CST
'Complete Carnage': Typhoon Death Toll Surges
At least 208 dead after Typhoon Rai slams into Philippines
The death toll in a horrific Philippines typhoon currently stands at 208, the BBC reports. At least 52 others are missing, and 239 were hurt, but it's difficult to establish exact numbers as communications remain cut off to certain areas. Landslides and flooding may have killed even more....
Dictator's Son Picks Duterte's
Daughter as Running Mate
Nov 13, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Dictator's Son Picks Duterte's Daughter as Running Mate
Human rights activists concerned about Ferdinand Marcos Jr./Sara Duterte ticket
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's daughter on Saturday registered her candidacy for vice president in next year's elections and was chosen as the running mate of Ferdinand Marcos Jr., the son of the late Filipino dictator, in an alliance that has alarmed human rights activists. Sara Duterte backed out...
on 2022 Election
Oct 2, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Duterte Makes Surprise Call on 2022 Election
Philippine president announces he's retiring, won't run for VP in next year's elections
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday announced he was retiring from politics and dropping plans to run for vice president in next year's elections when his term ends, avoiding a legal battle with opponents who question such a move. Speaking before reporters, Duterte said many Filipinos have expressed their...
'I Just Heard
the Final Bell'
Sep 29, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Manny Pacquiao: 'I Just Heard the Final Bell'
Boxing great retires
- Boxing legend Manny Pacquiao is officially hanging up his gloves, the AP reports. The eight-division world champion and Philippines senator on Wednesday announced his retirement from the ring, “As I hang up my boxing gloves, I would like to thank the whole world, especially the Filipino people for supporting...
Philippine Boxing Great
to Run for President
Sep 19, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Philippine Boxing Great to Run for President
'I am a fighter,' Manny Pacquiao says in accepting his party's nomination
- Philippine boxing icon and senator Manny Pacquiao is running for president. Pacquiao accepted the nomination of his PDP-Laban party for the 2022 elections at its national convention on Sunday, saying that the Filipino people have been waiting for a change of government. "I am a fighter, and I will...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
Crawford on '86 Oprah Interview: 'I Was Like the Chattel'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.