Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Crew Pushes Man Trying
to Board Ferry Into Water
Sep 6, 2023 5:38 PM CDT
Crew Pushes Man Trying to Board Ferry Into Water
Greek government expresses shock at passenger's death
- A Greek island ferry captain and three of his crew faced homicide charges Wednesday over the death of a tardy passenger who was pushed by crew members into the sea as he tried to force his way onto the departing vessel in the country's main port of Piraeus. The...
After Wall of Fire,
Greece Finds 18 Bodies
Aug 22, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
After Wall of Fire, Greece Finds 18 Bodies
They might have been migrants
- Firefighters found the bodies of 18 people while scouring the area of a major wildfire in northeastern Greece burning out of control for a fourth day Tuesday. Authorities were examining whether the group might have been migrants who entered the country through the nearby border with Turkey, per the AP...
Tourists Who Had to Flee Fires
Offered Freebie Vacation
Aug 2, 2023 2:10 PM CDT
Tourists Who Had to Flee Fires Offered Freebie Vacation
PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis promises them a free week next spring or fall
- The vacationers who had to be evacuated from the Greek island of Rhodes due to wildfires have been invited back—on the government's dime. The BBC reports that while Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis didn't specify how the free week would take shape or how impacted tourists could claim...
Greek Wildfire Crashes
Jul 25, 2023 7:48 PM CDT
Plane Fighting Greek Wildfire Crashes
Both pilots were killed in island crash
- A Greek air force water-dropping plane crashed while diving into a wildfire in southern Greece on Tuesday, killing both pilots, as authorities battled blazes that have been raging for days across the country amid a return of heat wave temperatures. Summer wildfires blamed on climate change have also struck other...
Two Irish Teens Die Separately
on Same Greek Island
Jul 3, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Two Irish Teens Die Separately on Same Greek Island
One fell, the other collapsed after hearing news of his friend
- Two Irish teenagers celebrating graduation with their fellow classmates on a Greek island died hours apart in separate incidents, reports the
. Andrew O'Donnell and Max Wall were both 18 and celebrating the end of the equivalent of high school with friends on the island of Ios. O'...
Greeks Give Conservatives
Votes to Form Government
Jun 25, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Greeks Give Conservatives Votes to Form Government
Opposition called vote critical to democracy, but economy also concerned voters
- Greece's conservative New Democracy party won a landslide victory in the country's second election in five weeks Sunday, official projections based on early returns showed, gaining enough parliamentary seats to form a government for a second four-year term. Kyriakos Mitsotakis' party is projected to win 40.5% of...
750 People Aboard,
Only 104 Rescues
Jun 15, 2023 1:21 PM CDT
750 People Aboard, Only 104 Rescues
The BBC reports that up to 100 migrant children were on vessel that sank off the coast of Greece
- The full scope of the tragedy after a fishing vessel packed with migrants sank this week off the coast of Greece is not yet clear, but the current death toll of 78 looks certain to rise. The BBC reports 750 were aboard, including up to 100 children. (However, estimates on...
Billionaire Forced to Give Up
World's Priciest Ancient Coin
Mar 24, 2023 9:12 AM CDT
Billionaire Forced to Give Up World's Priciest Ancient Coin
Gold 'Eid Mar' coin, which sold for $4.2M in 2020, was looted, fraudulently sold
- The world's most expensive ancient coin—one commemorating the murder of Julius Caesar, minted by the very Brutus who betrayed him—has been seized from its US buyer and repatriated to Greece. The "extraordinarily rare" coin, one of only three gold versions known to exist, and 28 other...
Raid Turns Up
What Could Be
a Precious Painting
Mar 23, 2023 7:24 AM CDT
Raid Turns Up What Could Be a Precious Painting
If the unknown Jackson Pollock work is authentic, it could be worth $54M
- A previously unknown painting by Jackson Pollock, worth upwards of $54 million, has been found during a raid on alleged international art smugglers. The painting turned up in the Bulgarian capital of Sofia during an operation targeting an organized criminal group known to operate across Greece, per Art News . Five...
Vatican Giving Up
Parthenon Pieces It
Has Held for Centuries
Mar 8, 2023 11:04 AM CST
Vatican Giving Up Parthenon Pieces It Has Held for Centuries
The move ratchets up pressure on the British Museum to do the same
- The Vatican and Greece finalized a deal Tuesday for the return of three sculpture fragments from the Parthenon that have been in the collection of the Vatican Museums for two centuries, the latest case of a Western museum bowing to demands for restitution. The Vatican has termed the return an...
Train Driver to
Blow Red Light
Mar 4, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Audio Reveals Directive for Train Driver to Blow Red Light
'Go, go,' urged stationmaster who's since been arrested after Greek train crash that killed 57
- The death toll from Tuesday's train crash in Greece rose to 57 as of Thursday, and Greek rail workers went on strike to protest working conditions and what they say is an outdated rail system. Now, a new development: dispatch audio in which one of the drivers of the...
Greek Rail Workers Strike
After Crash Kills 43
Mar 2, 2023 4:15 AM CST
Greek Rail Workers Strike After Crash Kills 43
They're protesting working conditions, lack of modernization
- Rescuers using cranes and heavy machinery on Thursday searched the wreckage of trains involved in a deadly collision that sent Greece into national mourning and prompted strikes and protests over rail safety. The death toll from Wednesday's head-on crash involving a passenger train and freight train remained at 43...
After Horrific Train Crash,
an Arrest and a Resignation
Mar 1, 2023 10:30 AM CST
After Horrific Train Crash, an Arrest and a Resignation
Station manager charged with manslaughter by negligence
- There's nothing left of the front two carriages of a passenger train that collided with a freight train near Tempe, Greece, on Tuesday. The cars, which caught fire, are "completely destroyed," the BBC reports, adding it's unclear how many people died. The death toll stands at...
29 Dead, 85 Hurt in
Greece Train Disaster
Feb 28, 2023 10:17 PM CST
29 Dead, 85 Hurt in Greece Train Disaster
'This is a terrible night ... It’s hard to describe the scene'
This story has been updated with the most recent death toll.
A passenger train collided with an oncoming freight train in northern Greece early Wednesday, killing 29 people and injuring at least 85, Fire Service officials said. Multiple train cars derailed and at least three caught fire after the crash...
King of Greece, Dies
Jan 10, 2023 6:24 PM CST
Constantine, Last King of Greece, Dies
Country abolished monarchy in 1973
- Constantine, the former and last king of Greece, who won an Olympic gold medal before becoming entangled in his country's volatile politics in the 1960s as king and spent decades in exile, has died. He was 82. Doctors at the private Hygeia Hospital in Athens confirmed to the AP...
Holds 25K Ancient
Oct 21, 2022 1:31 PM CDT
Greek Monastery Holds 25K Ancient Ottoman Manuscripts
They're now being studied for the first time
- Deep inside the medieval fortified Pantokrator Monastery in the Mount Athos monastic Orthodox Christian community, researchers are for the first time tapping a virtually unknown treasure—thousands of Ottoman-era manuscripts that include the oldest of their kind in the world. The libraries of the self-governed community, established more than 1,...
Oct 8, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
1.8K-Year-Old Hercules Statue Unearthed From 'Small Rome'
Statue of the demigod unearthed in ancient Greek metropolis of Philippi
- A larger-than-life statue of the mythical hero Hercules has been discovered hiding in the ancient Greek metropolis of Philippi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Researchers with the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki uncovered the classical statue, dating back 1,800 years to the Roman period, during excavations on a main street...
The Race Started at 7pm.
At 4am, Tragedy Struck
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 27, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
The Race Started at 7pm. At 4am, Tragedy Struck
The 55-year-old was racing up a Greek mountain at night when lightning hit
- Lightning struck Sunday during a nighttime trail race up a Greek mountain, killing one runner and seriously injuring another, Greek police and the fire service reported. The two men were running in the Six Peaks race, which passes through the six highest peaks of Mount Falakro in northern Greece, when...
3 Arrested After Tourist
Hit by Helicopter Rotor
Jul 26, 2022 7:43 PM CDT
3 Arrested After Tourist Hit by Helicopter Rotor
Jack Fenton died in 'gory' accident after disembarking in Athens
- Police in Greece are investigating the horrific death of a young British tourist at a heliport near Athens. Authorities say 22-year-old Jack Fenton was killed instantly when he walked behind a Bell 407 helicopter and was hit by its tail rotor soon after he disembarked from a flight from the...
After Cargo Plane Crash
in Greece, a Toxic Smell
Jul 17, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
After Cargo Plane Crash in Greece, a Toxic Smell
Locals told to stay indoors after aircraft with Serbian military weaponry goes down
- Experts were poised to investigate the site of a plane crash in northern Greece Sunday to determine whether any dangerous chemicals or explosive cargo remains. The An-12 military cargo plane smashed into fields between two villages late Saturday, per the AP . Local residents reported seeing a fireball and hearing explosions...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.