Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Marshals Service
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends
With Sex-Offender Arrests
Jan 3, 2022 9:10 AM CST
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends With Sex-Offender Arrests
Monthslong effort also tracks down 5 missing teens in Louisiana
- For most of the fall season, the US Marshals Service was hard at work in Louisiana, scoping out the New Orleans area in an annual crime-fighting operation that paid off big time this year. In a report issued in 2021's final days, the agency announced that thanks to "...
Guy Spotted at
Oct 9, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Guy Spotted at Dodgers Game Wasn't Actually Fugitive
Authorities had sought public's help in search for John Ruffo, on the run for 23 years
Sorry, it's not him. That's the final word from authorities on a mystery man spotted at a 2016 MLB game who looked just like a fugitive who's been on the run for 23 years. The US Marshals Service says the man seen in video footage at...
Post-Vigil, Fires and
Vandalism in Minneapolis
Jun 5, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Post-Vigil, Fires and Vandalism in Minneapolis
Protesters faced off against police after Thursday's fatal shooting of Winston Boogie Smith Jr.
- Protesters faced off with officers in Minneapolis early Saturday over the shooting death of a man by members of a US Marshals task force. Photos from the scene following a vigil for Winston Boogie Smith Jr., 32, showed dumpster fires in the street and a line of officers standing guard....
27 Missing Children
Found in Virginia
Nov 2, 2020 2:00 AM CST
27 Missing Children Found in Virginia
US Marshals carry out operation with National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, others
- During a five-day operation dubbed "Operation Find Our Children," deputy US Marshals located 27 missing kids in Virginia, CNN reports. The Justice Department coordinated the effort with the Marshals Service's regional Fugitive Task Force; special agents, police officers, and detectives from multiple federal, state, and local law...
In Georgia, a Big Find by
'Operation Not Forgotten'
Aug 29, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
In Georgia, a Big Find by 'Operation Not Forgotten'
2-week mission by US Marshals Service leads to rescue of 26 children, safe location of 13 others
- Over a two-week period in August, the US Marshals Service conducted "Operation Not Forgotten," searching for missing kids in the Atlanta metro area. Now, per the agency, nearly 40 kids are known to be in safe hands due to that mission. A USMS release reports that it tracked...
USMS: We Sent a Plane Over
Portland to Surveil Protesters
Aug 20, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
USMS: We Sent a Plane Over Portland to Surveil Protesters
Meanwhile, violent clashes between protesters and federal officers in the Oregon city start up again
- Thursday night marked the 84th night of protests in Portland, with clashes between protesters and federal agents once more emerging after weeks of nonviolence. The
reports that police declared the demonstration in the Oregon city a riot around 11pm local time, with a couple hundred protesters initially gathering around...
In Portland, 'It's Like Stop and
Frisk Meets Guantanamo Bay'
Jul 17, 2020 10:56 AM CDT
In Portland, 'It's Like Stop and Frisk Meets Guantanamo Bay'
Protesters accuse federal officers in unmarked vehicles of making unlawful arrests
- Protesters in Portland, Oregon, say unidentified federal agents dressed in camouflage have been driving around in unmarked minivans and grabbing people off the streets. The US Marshals Special Operations Group and the Border Patrol Tactical Unit have been sent to Portland to protect federal property. But protesters describe being detained...
Executive Order, US Marshals
to Protect Nation's Monuments
Jun 25, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
Executive Order, US Marshals to Protect Nation's Monuments
Trump promises 'very strong' order this week
- US marshals have been ordered to prep to protect the nation's monuments as part of a new effort by the Trump administration, also said to involve an upcoming executive order. In an email with the subject line "Attorney General Assignment," Marshals Service Assistant Director Andrew C. Smith...
Fugitive Accused of Faking
His Own Suicide Is Caught
Jan 31, 2020 2:15 PM CST
Fugitive Accused of Faking His Own Suicide Is Caught
Jason Blair Scott allegedly raped his stepdaughter and now faces life in prison
- A man faked his own death in an attempt to avoid penalty for raping his stepdaughter, who was found to be pregnant with his child, according to the US Marshals Service, which is now celebrating "the fastest apprehension of a fugitive in the 37-year history of the 15 Most...
Protecting Betsy DeVos
Cost $6.24M This Year
Oct 2, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
Protecting Betsy DeVos Cost $6.24M This Year
Cost will rise to almost $8M next year, according to US Marshals Service
- Providing Education Secretary Betsy DeVos with round-the-clock protection cost $6.24 million in fiscal 2019 and is projected to cost $7.87 million in the new fiscal year that started Tuesday, according to the US Marshals Service. Politico describes the security as "highly unusual," noting that the Education...
He Fled the Feds in 2011.
He Was Just Found 'Squatting'
Jul 8, 2019 8:47 AM CDT
He Fled the Feds in 2011. He Was Just Found 'Squatting'
Michael Duane Strain, busted on Native American reservation in Montana, was on most wanted list
- They thought he was hiding in Minnesota, but they nabbed him in Montana.
reports 62-year-old Michael Duane Strain, one of the 15 most wanted fugitives on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms' list, was busted last week by US Marshals Service deputies on a Native American reservation...
It Was a Brutal Night
for Cops in Memphis
Jun 13, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
It Was a Brutal Night for Cops in Memphis
At least 24 hurt in protest over fatal shooting by US Marshals
- At least two dozen police officers were hurt Wednesday while trying to fend off protesters in Memphis, where tensions are high following a fatal shooting by US marshals. Police say protesters angered by the death of the man in north Memphis—which reportedly occurred on the lawn of his family...
May 13, 2019 7:17 PM CDT
900-Pound Defendant Asks Help Getting to Court
Effort could involve taking down trees, cutting a hole in a wall
- A Virginia judge has approved a logistical plan to bring a defendant who weighs more than 900 pounds to federal court in Richmond. The effort could involve cutting down trees, cutting through a wall in the building where the man lives and bracing the structure, the
reports. A device...
A Child Killer on the Lam for
45 Years Is Now Most Wanted
Dec 10, 2018 9:30 AM CST
A Child Killer on the Lam for 45 Years Is Now Most Wanted
Lester Eubanks was convicted of the 1965 murder of an Ohio 14-year-old
- A 75-year-old has just been added to the US Marshals Service's "15 Most Wanted" list —some 45 years after he went on the lam. Lester Eubanks was sentenced to death in 1966 for the murder of 14-year-old Mary Ellen Deener of Mansfield, Ohio, a year prior. In...
Belong to 'Quiet Skies'?
Better Hope Not
Jul 30, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Belong to 'Quiet Skies'? Better Hope Not
It's a TSA domestic surveillance program in which marshals keep a close eye on passengers
- It's called "Quiet Skies" and sounds for all the world like the name of some airline PR initiative. But as the
reveals, "Quiet Skies" is actually the name of a TSA domestic surveillance program that has been operating on the down-low. It's not entirely...
Fugitive on the Lam for
48 Years Nabbed in Conn.
May 10, 2016 7:51 AM CDT
Fugitive on the Lam for 48 Years Nabbed in Conn.
Robert Stackowitz escaped from Georgia prison work camp in 1968
- Since before man landed on the moon, Robert Stackowitz has been on the run after busting out of a prison work camp in Georgia. That half-century run came to a low-key end Monday in Sherman, Conn., where the US Marshals Service tracked down and arrested Stackowitz without incident, NBC News...
Armed Marshals Bust Man
Over Unpaid Student Loan
Feb 16, 2016 3:01 PM CST
Armed Marshals Bust Man Over Unpaid Student Loan
And they aren't stopping there
- Seven armed US Marshals in combat gear showed up on the doorstep of 48-year-old Paul Aker's home Thursday in Houston, the
New York Daily News
reports. His crime? Failing to pay a $1,500 student loan he received in 1987. "I say, 'What is this all about?'...
In the Middle of CES,
a US Marshals Raid
Jan 8, 2016 10:29 AM CST
In the Middle of CES, a US Marshals Raid
US company says Chinese company is hurting industry with its cheap models
- Hoverboards are making headlines, from bursting into flames and being banned by online retailers to causing trouble in churches and supermarkets . But the hoverboard hubbub at CES in Las Vegas Thursday was something straight out of a corporate espionage movie: Per Bloomberg , US marshals raided a booth set up by...
on Court Roof
Jul 11, 2015 4:38 PM CDT
US Marshal Worker Caught Being Naughty on Court Roof
Nearby resident in Harrisburg, Penn., snaps photos
- The US Marshals Service says one of its employees was photographed having sex on the roof of a federal courthouse in Harrisburg, Penn. A resident of a nearby apartment building who was concerned that there was a security breach snapped the pictures this week and sent them to ABC27 News...
Police Have Been Using
Radar to Peek Into Homes
Jan 20, 2015 6:33 AM CST
Police Have Been Using Radar to Peek Into Homes
Legal and privacy concerns emerge as law enforcement uses detection technology
- The gist of the Fourth Amendment, according to the Supreme Court , is "the right of a man to retreat into his own home and there be free from unreasonable governmental intrusion." Which is why legal and privacy concerns are cropping up regarding the recent revelation that at least...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
'Abandoned Twice' Teen Kills Self After Reunion With Parents
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.