Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
child sex abuse
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Catholic First:
Cardinal Admits Abusing Minor
Nov 8, 2022 8:46 AM CST
A Catholic First: Cardinal Admits Abusing Minor
78-year-old Jean-Pierre Ricard says he abused 14-year-old girl in 1980s, steps down
- Jean-Pierre Ricard has become the first Catholic cardinal to publicly admit to abusing a minor, according to reports. The French cardinal said Monday that he "behaved in a reprehensible way with a young girl aged 14" as a priest in the archdiocese of Marseille in the 1980s and "...
Convicted Pedophile Clears
His Name—3 Years After Death
Oct 7, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Convicted Pedophile Clears His Name—3 Years After Death
New Zealand Supreme Court overturns 1993 child sex abuse conviction of Peter Ellis
- Peter Ellis, a former day-care teacher convicted of 16 counts of child sexual abuse in New Zealand in 1993, maintained his innocence until his 2019 death from bladder cancer. Usually one's death marks the end of their criminal appeal. But not in this case. New Zealand's Supreme Court...
Lawyer: Spacey Accuser Was
'Frozen' as Actor Lay on Him
Oct 7, 2022 7:24 AM CDT
Lawyer: Spacey Accuser Was 'Frozen' as Actor Lay on Him
Anthony Rapp is expected to testify himself as civil trial on alleged sex abuse continues in NY
- If Kevin Spacey was bothered by the testimony this week of a man who says the actor sexually abused him when he was 14 and Spacey was 26, the 63-year-old actor didn't show it. NBC News reports Spacey "seemed relaxed" on the first day of his civil trial...
Mistrial in Case of
Abusing Boy, 4
Sep 5, 2022 1:02 AM CDT
Mistrial in Case of Ex-MLB Pitcher Accused of Abusing Boy, 4
Jury deadlocks in John Wetteland trial
The jury in the child sex assault trial of former All-Star and World Series MVP pitcher John Wetteland deadlocked, leading the judge to declare a mistrial Friday. "We will move forward, whether this means it is resolved through negotiations or trial again is up to him," a...
Survivor Praises SBC
Decision to Release
Secret List of Abusers
May 24, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Survivor Praises SBC Decision to Release Secret List of Abusers
The Executive Committee also voted to rebuke a former member
- The depth of the problem surprised almost everyone, but the themes revealed in Sunday’s bombshell report on sexual abuse and coverups within the Southern Baptist Convention are not new to Christa Brown. She says she was sexually abused as a child by a minister, and she has been fighting...
Feb 10, 2022 5:42 PM CST
Boy Scouts Agree on $2.6B Fund in Settlement
Total amount for sexual abuse victims could be the largest ever
- Two years after filing for Chapter 11 protection while facing a flood of child sex abuse lawsuits, the Boy Scouts of America has reached a tentative settlement with an official bankruptcy committee representing more than 80,000 men who say they were molested as children by Scout leaders and others....
Pope: I Actually Was at Meeting
on Priest Accused of Abuse
Jan 24, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Pope: I Actually Was at Meeting on Priest Accused of Abuse
Benedict had originally said he hadn't attended, blames discrepancy on 'editing' mistake
Pope Benedict XVI has repeatedly denied wrongdoing in the Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal, but there's been a shift in at least one story. Per the Catholic News Agency and CNN , the pontiff had originally told investigators he hadn't attended a January 1980 meeting of archdiocesan...
Missionary Revered in Catholic
Nation Is Headed to Prison
Dec 21, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Missionary Revered in Catholic Nation Is Headed to Prison
American ex-priest Richard Daschbach, 84, found guilty in East Timor of sexually abusing young girls
- A defrocked American priest accused of sexually abusing orphaned and disadvantaged young girls under his care in East Timor was found guilty Tuesday and sentenced to 12 years in prison, in the first case of its kind in the staunchly Catholic nation. Richard Daschbach, 84, who spent decades as a...
Virginia Professor Who Studies
Pedophilia Resigns After Uproar
Nov 25, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Virginia Professor Who Studies Pedophilia Resigns After Uproar
Allyn Walker, Old Dominion University to part ways
- An assistant professor of criminal justice and sociology at Virginia's Old Dominion University will part ways with the school after their research on "minor-attracted people" (or MAPs) generated outrage. NBC News reports Allyn Walker published the book
A Long, Dark Shadow: Minor-Attracted People and Their Pursuit of Dignity
Oct 5, 2021 8:59 AM CDT
Report: French Catholic Church Showed 'Cruel Indifference'
Commission finds 330K children may have been sexually abused by clergy, laypeople since 1950
- A new report slams the Catholic Church for "cruel indifference," with clergy in France accused of sexually abusing an estimated 216,000 children since 1950. Jean-Marc Sauve, head of the inquiry commissioned by the French Catholic Church, says most of the victims over the past seven decades were...
NY's Window for
Child Sex Abuse Victims
to Sue Is Closing
Aug 13, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
NY's Window for Child Sex Abuse Victims to Sue Is Closing
More than 9K sued after time limit on abuse lawsuits was suspended
- For two years, New York temporarily set aside its usual time limit on civil lawsuits in order to allow victims of childhood sexual abuse to sue churches, hospitals, schools, camps, scout groups, and other institutions and people they hold responsible for enabling pedophiles or turning a blind eye to wrongdoing....
Apple's Plan to Start Scanning
Your Photos Worries Some
Aug 6, 2021 6:53 AM CDT
Apple's Plan to Start Scanning Your Photos Worries Some
Privacy advocates say feature, which looks for child porn, could be misused
- Child protection advocates are praising Apple's plan to roll out new anti-child-pornography features later this year—but privacy advocates worry about what else it might lead to. The company says the software, called neuralMatch, will scan images on a user's iPhone before they are uploaded to the iCloud...
Tulsa Mother Arrested After
12-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth
Jul 30, 2021 4:21 AM CDT
Tulsa Mother Arrested After 12-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth
Police say family knew girl was having sex with 24-year-old man
- Tulsa woman Desiree Castaneda was arrested Thursday, two weeks after she became a grandmother at the age of 33. Police say she was charged with child neglect and enabling child sex abuse after her 12-year-old daughter gave birth,
reports. Juan Miranda-Jara, a 24-year-old who admitted being the father, was...
Vow of Celibacy
Mar 12, 2021 1:09 PM CST
Author Explains Her Vow of Celibacy
Paula McClain discusses sex abuse as a child
- When Paula McClain came out of a two-year relationship in 2019, she heard familiar voices "telling me that all I needed to do was try again with the next one, the right one." Instead,
The Paris Wife
author opted for celibacy. After "two failed marriages" and "...
Boy Scouts Plan 'Unthinkable'
Move to Pay Abuse Claims
Mar 3, 2021 8:41 AM CST
Boy Scouts Plan 'Unthinkable' Move to Pay Abuse Claims
Group says it will sell the nearly 60 paintings it owns by Norman Rockwell
- The Boy Scouts of America this week proposed establishing a fund of at least $300 million that would be used to settle the more than 80,000 sex-abuse claims it faces. An attorney for 1,000 of those alleged victims called that amount "chump change" in comments to CNN...
Nov 11, 2020 6:49 AM CST
Global Child Sex Abuse Ring Uncovered
Ring was centered in Australia, with links to the US and other countries
- A tip from US authorities has exposed a major child sex abuse ring in Australia with links to the United States, Canada, Asia, Europe, and New Zealand, police said on Wednesday. A childcare worker and a children’s soccer coach were among 16 men arrested in the Australian states of...
Michael Jackson Accuser
Sees His Lawsuit Tossed
Oct 22, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
Michael Jackson Accuser Sees His Lawsuit Tossed
James Safechuck to appeal lawsuit dismissal
- A judge has tossed a lawsuit brought against the late Michael Jackson's companies by a man who says he was abused by the star. James Safechuck, who appeared in the HBO documentary
, says he was abused hundreds of times while working for Jackson as a child dancer...
Once Again Charged
With Child Rape
Jul 31, 2020 12:18 AM CDT
Megachurch Leader Once Again Charged With Child Rape
Charges against Naasón Joaquín García had been dropped in April
- California on Wednesday charged the leader of a Mexican megachurch with child rape and human trafficking, months after a court dismissed the previous allegations because of prosecution errors, the AP reports. Naasón Joaquín García, the self-proclaimed apostle of La Luz del Mundo, was charged with three dozen...
Convicted of Sex Abuse
Is a Free Man
Apr 7, 2020 12:06 AM CDT
Highest-Ranking Catholic Convicted of Sex Abuse Is a Free Man
Cardinal George Pell cleared of child sex abuse, released from prison Tuesday
- Australia's highest court on Tuesday dismissed the convictions of the most senior Catholic found guilty of child sex crimes, the AP reports. Cardinal George Pell welcomed the news and said his trial had not been a referendum on the Catholic Church’s handling of the clergy sex abuse crisis....
France's Worst Case of
Clergy Abuse Is Over
Mar 17, 2020 1:08 AM CDT
France's Worst Case of Clergy Abuse Is Over
Ex-priest who abused at least 75 boys is sentenced to 5 years
- A French ex-priest who acknowledged sexually abusing at least 75 boys over decades was sentenced Monday to five years in prison, in France’s worst case of clergy abuse to reach trial. The court in Lyon issued the verdict against 74-year-old Bernard Preynat behind closed doors because the coronavirus outbreak...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
Thai Temple Cleared of All Its Monks After Drug Test
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.