Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
DC to Lose Famous Trio Due
to 'Punitive Panda Diplomacy'
Oct 3, 2023 8:35 AM CDT
DC to Lose Famous Trio Due to 'Punitive Panda Diplomacy'
Amid strained relations with China, it's not clear if deal for pandas struck by Nixon will be renewed
- The National Zoo's three giant pandas—Mei Xiang, Tian Tian, and their cub Xiao Qi Ji—are set to return to China in early December, with no public signs that the 50-year-old exchange agreement struck by former President Nixon will continue, reports the AP . National Zoo officials have remained...
US, Japan, and South Korea
Agree to Consult in Crisis
Aug 18, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
US, Japan, and South Korea Agree to Consult in Crisis
Nations also expand economic ties in Camp David meeting
- President Biden and the leaders of Japan and South Korea agreed Friday to expand security and economic ties at a historic summit at the presidential retreat of Camp David. Their meeting comes at a time when the three countries are on an increasingly tense ledge in their relations with China...
Xi to Zelensky: China Will Not
'Add Fuel to the Flames' in War
Apr 27, 2023 8:29 AM CDT
Xi to Zelensky: China Will Not 'Add Fuel to the Flames' in War
In first call between 2 men since Russian invasion, Xi seems to want to stay neutral, help with peace talks
- Ukrainian President Volodomyr Zelensky hasn't had a phone call with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, since the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, but that changed Wednesday with a conversation that Zelensky describes as "long and meaningful." Per the
, aides say the call on the...
US, South Korea Talk
About Expanding Exercises
May 21, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
US, South Korea Talk About Expanding Exercises
Biden meets new president, who has urged closer ties
- After their presidents met Saturday in Seoul, the US and South Korea announced they might broaden their joint military exercises in the face of North Korea's aggressive nuclear missile program. South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol said the exercises are "key to our combined defense capability" during a...
of Deal to Macron
Oct 29, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Biden Concedes 'Clumsy' Handling of Deal to Macron
Leaders meet for the first time since security alliance left France in the cold
- Meeting with President Emmanuel Macron for the first time since a weapons deal with Australia caused a US-France rift , President Biden said the situation was mishandled by his administration. "It was not done with a lot of grace," Biden said in an appearance with Macron on Friday. France...
Feds: $5.8K Bottle of Whiskey
Given to Pompeo Is Missing
Aug 5, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Feds: $5.8K Bottle of Whiskey Given to Pompeo Is Missing
It was a gift from the government of Japan
- A recent notice in the Federal Register list dozens of gifts from foreign governments to federal employees in 2019, all with the same reason for acceptance: "Non-acceptance would cause embarrassment to donor and US government." But the annual accounting of gifts contains one mystery: The whereabouts of a...
Biden to Stick
May 20, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
With Cease-Fire, Biden to Stick With 'Quiet Diplomacy'
Aides say administration officials have been on the phone to other leaders 80 times
- President Biden has said little to the nation about the Israeli-Palestinian fighting, and he's heard about that, from people who wanted him to do or say more. With the cease-fire announced Thursday, Biden stepped to the White House microphone to praise everyone involved and to offer assurances that he'...
EU Leader Talks About
Chair Snub Caught on Video
Apr 27, 2021 2:59 PM CDT
EU Leader Talks About Chair Snub Caught on Video
Ursula von der Leyen says Turkey left her standing at meeting because she's a woman
- Turkey, the European Council, and her EU colleague have tried to explain why there was no chair for Ursula von der Leyen at a meeting earlier this month. And von der Leyen looked into the matter herself, examining government documents, but could find no justification for officials at Turkey's...
US Has Its Answer on
North Korea Diplomacy
Mar 17, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
US Has Its Answer on North Korea Diplomacy
Americans' attempt is just a 'cheap trick,' official says
- North Korea conceded Thursday that the US had attempted to establish contact between the two governments. The Biden administration sent emails and tried several ways to deliver telephone messages, even involving a third country. But the Americans' effort was nothing but a "cheap trick," a foreign ministry official...
US Awaits Reply
From North Korea
Mar 14, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
US Awaits Reply From North Korea
Nations appear to have had no contact in more than a year, administration official says
- After four years of US diplomatic efforts with North Korea going nowhere, the new administration has tried to establish a dialogue with the government of Kim Jong Un. Several attempts were made last month,
reports, including one through North Korea's UN mission in New York. A Biden...
In Big Speech, Biden Shares
Slew of Foreign Policy Shifts
Feb 5, 2021 1:30 AM CST
In Big Speech, Biden Shares Slew of Foreign Policy Shifts
President gives his first diplomatic address
- In his first diplomatic address since becoming president, Joe Biden on Thursday declared that "America is back" on the global stage, Reuters reports. "American leadership must meet this new moment of advancing authoritarianism, including the growing ambitions of China to rival the United States and the determination of...
Jul 14, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
There's a New Leak From Ex-UK Ambassador
Sir Kim Darroch said Trump abandoned Iran deal to spite Obama, committed 'diplomatic vandalism'
- Sir Kim Darroch may be gone from the British embassy in Washington, DC, but it seems that President Trump may not soon be forgetting him: The BBC reports that the latest diplomatic leak from the UK is no less damning, with the former ambassador saying that Trump committed "diplomatic...
Iran to US: Diplomacy Is Done
After 'Stupid,' 'Idiotic' Sanctions
Jun 25, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Iran to US: Diplomacy Is Done After 'Stupid,' 'Idiotic' Sanctions
President Rouhani calls WH 'mentally retarded' as tensions escalate
- Amid a series of escalations with the United States, Iran says it's throwing in the towel on finding a diplomatic way toward peace after the White House's latest round of sanctions, with name-calling thrown in for good measure. "Imposing useless sanctions ... is the permanent closure of the...
Steven Seagal Named as
Russian Diplomat to US
Aug 5, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Steven Seagal Named as Russian Diplomat to US
The action star was made a "special representative" on humanitarian issues
- Actor Steven Seagal has taken on a new role, though it's not likely the kind you'd expect. Per the AP , the
star has been appointed as a special envoy to the United States on humanitarian issues. Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced the news on...
Jul 4, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
Trump Wanted to Invade Venezuela: Official
AP reports top advisers had to talk president out of military action after he brought it up repeatedly
- As an August meeting in the Oval Office to discuss sanctions on Venezuela was concluding, President Trump turned to his top aides and asked an unsettling question: With a fast unraveling Venezuela threatening regional security, why can't the US just invade? The suggestion stunned those at the meeting, including...
A Trump Salute Shows Up
in North Korea Video
Jun 14, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
A Trump Salute Shows Up in North Korea Video
White House defends the salute as 'common courtesy'
- North Korean state media has released video of President Trump returning the salute of a North Korean general at the Singapore summit. The footage set off a debate about whether the benefits of showing mutual respect to the general outweighed the fact that North Koreans could use the film as...
US and Russia Having
a Strange Street-Name Spat
Feb 13, 2018 2:13 PM CST
US and Russia Having a Strange Street-Name Spat
American embassy might soon have 'North American Dead End' address
- The US embassy in Moscow currently has the ho-hum address of Bolshoy Devyatinsky Lane, 8. But if a Russian lawmaker gets his way, the address will soon be North American Dead End, 1. The reason is a bizarre spat going on over street names. As RT reports, it began when...
Years' for North,
Feb 10, 2018 5:30 AM CST
'Most Significant Encounter in Years' for North, South Korea
Via his little sister, Kim Jong Un sends invite to South Korean President Moon Jae-in to come visit
- A rare invitation to Pyongyang for the South Korean president marked the second day of the North Korean Kim dynasty's southern road tour Saturday, part of an accelerated diplomatic warming that included more handshakes, some Korean liquor over lunch, and the potential shared joy of watching a "unified"...
North Korea: Nuclear War
May Break Out 'Any Moment'
Oct 17, 2017 5:57 AM CDT
North Korea: Nuclear War May Break Out 'Any Moment'
Official says diplomacy not an option until missile perfected
- North Korea had hoped for a nuclear-free world, the country's deputy United Nations ambassador claimed Monday—but because of the "extreme" threat from the US, the country has been forced to become a "full-fledged" nuclear power. Kim In Ryong, speaking to the UN's disarmament committee, warned...
Russia Takes US Diplomatic
Parking Spots in Ongoing Spat
Sep 13, 2017 12:46 PM CDT
Russia Takes US Diplomatic Parking Spots in Ongoing Spat
Russia says it's seeking 'full parity' with US diplomats
- It appears US diplomats in Russia will be spending less time trying to smooth relations with that country and more time circling the block after Moscow revoked diplomatic parking privileges in two cities, the AP reports. According to a report from Russian state-owned TV, officials painted over parking spots outside...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.