Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Gunman at Elementary School Kills 14 Students, Teacher
Read recent news stories and current events about Russia on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Starbucks Closing Up Shop
May 23, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
Starbucks Closing Up Shop Throughout Russia
Chain follows lead of McDonald's to permanently exit
- Russians already lost their Big Macs . Now, Starbucks is going, too. The coffee chain said Monday it's following the lead of McDonald's and other Western businesses and will exit Russia after 15 years to protest the invasion of Ukraine, reports NPR . The coffee chain will close its 130...
I'm 'So Ashamed'
May 23, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Boris Bondarev condemns invasion of Ukraine, then resigns
- That a diplomat in Geneva condemned Russia's invasion of Ukraine isn't a surprise. That the diplomat is from Russia most certainly is. Boris Bondarev, described by the
New York Times
as a mid-level diplomat who has worked for Russia's Foreign Ministry for two decades, publicly issued a...
Russian Soldier, 21, Thrown in
Prison for Life for War Crime
May 23, 2022 6:36 AM CDT
Russian Soldier, 21, Thrown in Prison for Life for War Crime
Vadim Shishimarin says he was following orders to kill 62-year-old Ukrainian, asks widow to forgive him
- In a big first in the ongoing war in Ukraine, a Russian soldier has been convicted of a war crime and sentenced to life behind bars. The
reports that 21-year-old Sgt. Vadim Shishimarin heard his fate Monday for a crime committed on Feb. 28, just days after the...
Pay Gas Company
in Rubles. Russia
May 21, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Gazprom has cut off supply of gas to Nordic nation
- Things were already tense between Russia and Finland after the latter nation applied for NATO membership this week, and a new move by the former isn't going to alleviate that tension. Due to crippling sanctions against its central bank because of its invasion of Ukraine, Russia has asked customers...
McDonald's Finds Buyer
for Russian Restaurants
May 19, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
McDonald's Finds Buyer for Russian Restaurants
One of its licensees will acquire them, keep them open under a different name
McDonald's has a buyer for all its restaurants in Russia. An existing McDonald's licensee, Alexander Govor, who operates 25 restaurants in Siberia, has agreed to buy the chain's 850 Russian restaurants and operate them under a new name, per the AP . McDonald’s did not disclose...
In Battered Mariupol,
Surrender at Last
May 19, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
In Battered Mariupol, Surrender at Last
1K holdout fighters have surrendered at steel plant; unclear if more remain inside
- The battle that turned Mariupol into a worldwide symbol of defiance and suffering drew toward a close as Russia said Wednesday that nearly 1,000 last-ditch Ukrainian fighters who held out inside a pulverized steel plant had surrendered, the AP reports. The Ukrainian fighters who emerged from the ruined Azovstal...
He Wore a 'Z' After
Medaling. Now, a Ban
May 18, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
He Wore a 'Z' After Medaling. Now, a Ban
Russian gymnast Ivan Kuliak sported letter, symbol of Russian invasion, while next to Ukrainian
- The letter "Z," a letter proudly tied by the Russians to their invasion of Ukraine, has been spotted everywhere from military tanks to warmongering politicians. One of the country's gymnasts, however, is now paying the price for defiantly wearing his own version of it after medaling in...
Apply to Join NATO
May 18, 2022 6:02 AM CDT
Finland, Sweden Apply to Join NATO
Spurred by Russian invasion of Ukraine, countries make big move
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that the military alliance stands ready to seize a historic moment and move quickly on allowing Finland and Sweden to join its ranks, after the two countries submitted their membership requests. The official applications, handed over by Finland's and Sweden's ambassadors...
The Fall of Mariupol
Appears to Be at Hand
May 18, 2022 12:25 AM CDT
The Fall of Mariupol Appears to Be at Hand
Ukraine abandons defense of steel plant
- Mariupol appeared on the verge of falling to the Russians on Tuesday as Ukraine moved to abandon the steel plant where hundreds of its fighters had held out for months under relentless bombardment in the last bastion of resistance in the devastated city. The capture of Mariupol would make it...
Sweden: We Want
to Join NATO, Too
May 16, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Sweden: We Want to Join NATO, Too
Government, like Finland's, will apply for membership
- Sweden's prime minister announced Monday that Sweden will join Finland in seeking NATO membership in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a historic shift that comes after more than 200 years of military nonalignment in the Nordic country, per the AP . The move, which is likely to...
Going Russia's Way
May 16, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Numerous reports indicate its operation in Ukraine has stalled
- The tide may be turning in the Russia-Ukraine conflict, and not in the direction Russia wants it to be. A number of recent reports indicate things don't seem to be going so well for Russia:
"Russia's war in Ukraine is not going as Moscow
G7 Sends Blunt Message
to China About Aiding Russia
May 14, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
G7 Sends Blunt Message to China About Aiding Russia
Foreign ministers warn that urgent action is needed to avoid food, energy shortage
- China's refusal to join the call for a ceasefire in Ukraine brought the Communist country an unusually stern rebuke Saturday from the G7 nations, including a warning not to do anything to assist Russia with its invasion. "We call on China not to assist Russia in its war...
'Wrongfully Detained' Griner
Appears in Russian Court
May 13, 2022 10:44 AM CDT
'Wrongfully Detained' Griner Appears in Russian Court
WNBA star's pre-trial detention has been extended by a month
- The lawyer for WNBA star Brittney Griner said Friday her pre-trial detention in Russia has been extended by one month. Alexander Boykov tells the AP he believes the relatively short extension of the detention indicates the case would come to trial soon. She has been in detention for nearly three...
Pussy Riot Member Fled
Moscow in Delivery Outfit
May 11, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Pussy Riot Member Fled Moscow in Delivery Outfit
'I could no longer stay in Russia,' Lucy Shtein says
- Lucy Shtein has experience in hiding her identity in Moscow. "I have worn different disguises before to dodge the police," the Pussy Riot activist said, per the
. "Sometimes I would wear long coats, I even dressed as a construction worker once." When President Vladimir Putin...
We Will Join Russia,
Official in Kherson
May 11, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
We Will Join Russia, Says Pro-Moscow Official in Kherson
Request to include southern Ukrainian region in Russian Federation to be made by year's end
- A Pro-Russia administration official in the Russian-occupied region of Kherson in southern Ukraine says the region will request annexation by Russia by the year's end. "The city of Kherson is Russia," Kirill Stremousov, the deputy head of Kherson's Russia-installed administration, told reporters on Wednesday, per the...
Top US Intelligence Official:
Putin Ready to Outlast Us All
May 11, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Top US Intelligence Official: Putin Ready to Outlast Us All
Avril Haines sees him as 'preparing for a prolonged conflict'
- The country's top intelligence official spoke at a Senate hearing Tuesday, and the updates she provided on the Ukraine invasion weren't encouraging. US Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines painted Vladimir Putin as digging in his heels and "preparing for a prolonged conflict," suspecting he'll...
Protesters Greet Russian
Ambassador With Lots of Paint
May 9, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Protesters Greet Russian Ambassador With Lots of Paint
Sergey Andreev was trying to pay respects to Red Army soldiers at Warsaw cemetery
- Russia's ambassador to Poland was splattered with red paint thrown at him by protesters opposed to the war in Ukraine, preventing him from paying respects on Monday at a Warsaw cemetery to Red Army soldiers who died during World War II. Ambassador Sergey Andreev arrived at the Soviet soldiers'...
Putin's Big Speech Notable
for What He Didn't Say
May 9, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Putin's Big Speech Notable for What He Didn't Say
In 'Victory Day' address, Russian leader doesn't declare victory or escalate war plans
- Monday is the annual Victory Day in Russia, and the world paid close attention to Vladimir Putin's address to his nation. But coverage is emphasizing what the Russian leader
say in regard to his invasion of Ukraine, rather than what he did:
Putin did not "announce
G7 Nations Agree on
More Steps Against Russia
May 8, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
G7 Nations Agree on More Steps Against Russia
Statement scolds Putin ahead of WWII victory celebration
- Leaders of the Group of 7 nations agreed Sunday to another round of punishments for Moscow over the invasion of Ukraine: a ban on Russian oil imports and more sanctions. The decisions were announced after a virtual meeting that included Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, as well as President Biden,
Civilians Are Out
of Mariupol Plant
May 7, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Civilians Are Out of Mariupol Plant
Ukrainian forces push back Russians from Kharkiv
- "All women, children and elderly people" have been evacuated from the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk announced Saturday, CNN reports. "This part of the Mariupol humanitarian operation has been completed," she said. Russia made the same announcement, per the BBC , but...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.