Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Gave the #VanLife a Go,
and It Was Pretty Dismal
Apr 24, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
She Gave the #VanLife a Go, and It Was Pretty Dismal
But Caity Weaver's recap of it is a delightful read
- "That sounds bad." So pronounced Caity Weaver's husband when she told him she was going to give the #VanLife that's so popular on TikTok and Instagram a go for a week and write about it for the
New York Times Magazine
. The piece that resulted is...
In Russia, It's
Mar 30, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
In Russia, It's Goodbye Instagram, Hello 'Sadgram'
Black-and-white social media alternative asks users for gloomy photos
- Criticizing the invasion of Ukraine, or even calling it a war instead of a "special military operation," is a crime in Russia, but citizens are still allowed to express their sadness. With Instagram now banned in the country, alternatives are sprouting up, including "Grustnogram," which translates...
Ye's Instagram Privileges
Have Been Revoked
Mar 17, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
Ye's Instagram Privileges Have Been Revoked
Rapper temporarily banned for bullying on Wednesday
- The rapper formerly known as Kanye West has been forced into a 24-hour Instagram hiatus. Instagram temporarily banned Ye's account Wednesday for violating policies on hate speech, bullying, and harassment—but the posts in question had nothing to do with Ye's most recent foe , Pete Davidson. The rapper...
Starting Monday, No
More Instagram in Russia
Mar 12, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Starting Monday, No More Instagram in Russia
After same move on FB, nation bans social media site due to 'calls for violence' against Russians
- Earlier this month, Russia blocked access to Facebook. Now citizens are about to lose access to Instagram, a widening of the net that's "squeezing the free flow of information online for Russians," per NPR . Insider reports that Roskomnadzor, Russia's media overseer, announced Thursday that starting Monday,...
Estee Lauder Exec
Fired for Post Causing
Feb 28, 2022 12:40 PM CST
Estee Lauder Exec Fired for Post Causing 'Widespread Offense'
Company says firing was due to John Demsey's Instagram post that featured the n-word
- An Estee Lauder executive's 30-year stretch with the company has come to an end, after a social media post that the company says caused "widespread offense." CNN Business reports that John Demsey has been fired and will be exiting his job this week, after recent posts on...
Aaron Rodgers Is Going
Through Some Things Online
Feb 22, 2022 11:49 AM CST
Aaron Rodgers Is Going Through Some Things Online
Green Bay QB gushes over ex Shailene Woodley, leaves 'cryptic' hints on NFL future
- Aaron Rodgers and fiancee Shailene Woodley reportedly split up last week, but it seems the Green Bay Packers quarterback is still processing his feelings, and in a very public way. He also may have dropped a hint about his uncertain NFL future. Page Six reports that the 38-year-old posted an...
Gets an Earful
Jan 5, 2022 1:27 AM CST
Commenter Mocks Abigail Breslin's Mask, Gets an Earful
Actress has no patience for that
- Abigail Breslin's dad died in February of COVID-19. So the 25-year-old actress minced no words when a commenter mocked her for wearing a mask in an Instagram photo she posted Monday. "Who's the pathetic loser wearing a mask?" wrote the commenter on the photo of people riding...
Patton Oswalt's Message
on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Jan 3, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Patton Oswalt's Message on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Comedian insists he's an 'LGBTQ ally' after post about his longtime friendship with Chappelle
- The comedy business can be a somewhat insular one, where everybody knows everybody and ties stretch back decades. So it's not surprising that comedian Patton Oswalt has known Dave Chappelle for more than three decades, and his New Year's Eve post on that topic is now drawing heat....
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle
Blocked After FB Name Change
Dec 14, 2021 9:25 AM CST
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle Blocked After FB Name Change
Australia's Thea-Mai Baumann used the 'metaverse' handle, then suddenly got blocked
- For nearly a decade, Thea-Mai Baumann, once the owner of an augmented-reality company called Metaverse Makeovers, used the Instagram handle "metaverse" to showcase her creative work. Last month, however, the Australian artist says she suddenly wasn't able to access her Insta, and she suspects Facebook's recent rebranding...
Feelings on That
Dec 14, 2021 1:35 AM CST
Britney Spears Reveals Her Feelings on That Diane Sawyer Interview
Yep, she thought Sawyer was out of line
- Britney Spears is speaking out on that infamous 2003 interview with Diane Sawyer—and it turns out she found it just as problematic as many viewers are now finding it . In a since-deleted Instagram post Monday, Spears took Sawyer to task for the way she treated the pop star, who...
Facebook: Scientist Behind
Misinformation Doesn't Exist
Dec 1, 2021 4:58 PM CST
Facebook: Scientist Behind Misinformation Doesn't Exist
Account claimed US was pushing its scientists to blame virus on China
- A disinformation network with ties to China used hundreds of fake social media accounts— including one belonging to a fictitious Swiss biologist—to spread an unfounded claim that the US pressured scientists to blame China for the coronavirus, Facebook said Wednesday. The company based in Menlo Park, California, did not...
Madonna Sees Sexism
as Instagram Removes Photos
Nov 26, 2021 3:55 PM CST
Madonna Sees Sexism as Instagram Removes Photos
Image showed the singer's nipple
- Madonna is ticked at Instagram after the platform removed photos in which she bared a nipple. The 63-year-old called out the company as she reposted the images with a tactfully placed heart emoji, reports
. “It is still astounding to me that we live in a culture that allows...
Teen Brand Quits Social Media:
'Something Has to Change'
Nov 24, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Teen Brand Quits Social Media: 'Something Has to Change'
Lush will shutter IG, FB, TikTok, Snapchat on Black Friday, won't come back til user safety is improved
- While most brands are revving up their social media for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the rest of the holiday shopping season, one teen favorite just made a shocking announcement: It's shuttering its social media entirely on the day after Thanksgiving. At least for now, says Lush Cosmetics—known...
Bipartisan Group of AGs
Is Investigating Instagram
Nov 19, 2021 5:04 AM CST
Bipartisan Group of AGs Is Investigating Instagram
They say Meta ignored research about dangers posed to young people
- A group of state attorneys general is investigating the photo-sharing platform Instagram and its effects on children and young adults, saying its parent company Facebook—now called Meta Platforms—ignored internal research about the physical and mental health dangers it posed to young people. The investigation is led by a...
Browns Cut Star Receiver
After Dad's Instagram Post
Nov 5, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Browns Cut Star Receiver After Dad's Instagram Post
Odell Beckham Jr. is out, with video critical of QB apparently the last straw
- Odell Beckham Jr. has run his last route for the Browns. The polarizing wide receiver is being released by the Cleveland Browns, who are cutting ties with Beckham after a drama-filled stay that ended with him being told to stay home from practice, per the AP . Beckham's unceremonious exit—...
After 22 Years in Jail,
Dance Goes Viral
Oct 27, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
After 22 Years in Jail, Dad-Daughter TikTok Dance Goes Viral
Justine Tuckett reunites with dad Bill Lorance
- Justine Tuckett was 5 years old when her father was sent to prison for murdering his stepfather in 1999. Over the next 22 years, Bill Lorance would miss her many dance recitals and her wedding. "When I was younger every time I blew out my birthday candles, I would...
Slain Journalist's Dad Blasts
Facebook's Murder Videos
Oct 13, 2021 6:36 AM CDT
Slain Journalist's Dad Blasts Facebook's Murder Videos
Alison Parker's parents file FTC complaint, appeal to Congress for removal of footage of her killing
- The family of a journalist killed during a live news report in Virginia in 2015 is asking the Federal Trade Commission to take action against Facebook, which hosts footage of her murder. Videos of the killing of WDBJ-TV reporter Alison Parker and cameraman Adam Ward regularly appear on Facebook and...
Oct 5, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Whistleblower Tells Senate Facebook Is Dishonest
Former project manager at the social media giant says its practices are dangerous
- Facebook isn’t to be trusted. That’s the main point whistleblower Frances Haugen made to the Senate Tuesday. Haugen said the social media giant knows the potential harm of its products but prioritizes profits over safety, Politico reports. One of her chief concerns was the company’s failure to...
Start to Return
Oct 4, 2021 7:25 PM CDT
Facebook, Instagram Start to Return
Company's share price crashed after outages
Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram began slowly returning to the internet Monday evening, about six hours after crashing. A tweet from Facebook around 6:30 ET said they were "coming back online now," CNN reports. "Thank you for bearing with us," the tweet said. The restoration...
After Big Win in Court, a
NSFW Celebration for Britney
Oct 2, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
After Big Win in Court, a NSFW Celebration for Britney
Spears posts topless, nude photos of herself on Instagram while on vacation
- "Having the time of my life here!" Britney Spears wrote on Instagram Thursday from an undisclosed tropical location, just one day after a Los Angeles judge replaced her dad, Jamie Spears, as conservator of her estate. But that wasn't Spears' only post—the 39-year-old singer also put...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
His Startup Is About to Go Public. He's Also a Killer
First, 'Loud Noises on Their Lanai.' Then, a Surprise Visitor
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.