Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Life Hell for a
in case you missed it
Jan 29, 2023 11:20 AM CST
This Turkey Is Making Life Hell for a Minnesota Town
Residents, including kids, now walk around with makeshift weapons to fend off 'terrorizing' bird
- The Minnesota town of Coon Rapids is known for its dozens of scenic parks,
-recognized golf club, and renowned Mercy Hospital. Now, it's got a new claim to fame: a most troublesome wild turkey that's been menacing residents of a mobile home park for more than a...
It Wasn't the Pilgrims
Who Established Our
Affinity for Turkey
Nov 24, 2022 12:26 PM CST
It Wasn't the Pilgrims Who Established Our Affinity for Turkey
Turkey at Thanksgiving is more of a 19th-century tradition
- There's a 91% chance there will be turkey on your Thanksgiving table. But why? As Texas A&M history professor Troy Bickham explains at the Conversation , it's not just that it tastes good or even that we're mimicking the Pilgrims. Firstly, it's not clear that the...
'Take What You Get' on
Turkeys This Thanksgiving
Oct 21, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
'Take What You Get' on Turkeys This Thanksgiving
Inflation, supply chain issues, avian flu are pushing bird prices up, with no relief in sight
- Just a few weeks ago, economists with the American Farm Bureau Federation warned that Americans should brace themselves for higher turkey prices this year heading into the holidays, blaming inflation and an outbreak of avian flu. Now, more recent numbers are in, and that dour outlook for the Thanksgiving dinner...
Turkey Farm Workers Hit
With 100+ Cruelty Charges
Oct 7, 2022 7:51 AM CDT
Turkey Farm Workers Hit With 100+ Cruelty Charges
Police say workers 'kicked, stomped, and beat turkeys' at 11 Pennsylvania farms
- Eleven turkey farm workers in Pennsylvania are facing what PETA says is "the largest number of charges in any factory-farmed animal case in US history." Police say the workers "kicked, stomped, and beat turkeys" at seven farms. the
York Daily Record
reports. More than 100 charges have...
At Presidential Turkey
Pardon, the Jokes Flew
Nov 20, 2021 5:30 AM CST
At Presidential Turkey Pardon, the Jokes Flew
'Instead of getting basted, these two turkeys are getting boosted,' Biden said at WH ceremony
- President Biden on Friday pardoned two Thanksgiving turkeys, saying that the white male birds were selected based on their "temperament, appearance, and, I suspect, vaccination status." "Instead of getting basted, these two turkeys are getting boosted today," Biden joked, per the AP . Biden was in a...
His Last Turkey
Nov 24, 2020 3:25 PM CST
Trump Pardons His Last Turkey
President discusses vaccine at White House event
- President Trump has issued his first pardon since allowing the presidential transition to begin . "Corn, I grant you a full pardon," the president told a large white turkey brought to Washington, DC from Iowa for the traditional White House turkey pardon ceremony Tuesday. Corn had been chosen over...
Catches Rogue Turkey
Oct 23, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Undercover Operation Catches Rogue Turkey
Expert poses as a victim, then grabs 'Gerald'
- A wild turkey's five-month reign of terror in Oakland ended Thursday when it fell for a sting operation. The aggressive turkey, called Gerald, had been terrorizing Grand Lake residents and prompted the closing of the city's Morcom Rose Garden, KGO reports. "I swear I was getting flashbacks...
Food Experts Warn:
Don't Rinse That Turkey
Nov 28, 2019 7:45 AM CST
Food Experts Warn: Don't Rinse That Turkey
And don't leave it to thaw at room temperature, either
- Go ahead and rinse your cranberries, potatoes, and green beans. But food experts say don't—repeat don't—wash the turkey before popping it in the oven on Thanksgiving Day. Experts at the US Department of Agriculture say that could spread the germs lurking on your turkey—to be...
USPS Worker Has
a Turkey Stalker
Nov 21, 2019 9:10 AM CST
USPS Worker Has a Turkey Stalker
The bird chases Jeff Byrne's truck from house to house
- A USPS worker in Wisconsin is trying his best to be respectful of his stalker because, after all, "it's Thanksgiving." Still, Jeff Byrne would rather the turkey cluck off. "Our poor mail carrier has been dealing with this for a month!" Sherry Michaels wrote Monday...
39 Tons of
Mar 14, 2019 6:19 PM CDT
39 Tons of Ground Turkey Recalled
Butterball meat affected after salmonella cases are reported
- Butterball LLC issued a voluntarily recall of more than 78,000 pounds of raw ground turkey products nationwide Thursday as Wisconsin health officials investigate four salmonella cases in the state. The US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service said the prepackaged ground turkey was produced on July...
USDA Recall: 91K Pounds of
Jennie-O Ground Turkey
Nov 16, 2018 11:00 AM CST
USDA Recall: 91K Pounds of Jennie-O Ground Turkey
Meat may be tied to 35-state salmonella outbreak
- If you're planning on scarfing down turkey on Thanksgiving, you may want to stick with the traditional full bird instead of the ground variety. KHOU reports Jennie-O has recalled more than 91,000 pounds of raw ground turkey shipped to stores around the US, and the USDA notes it'...
Trump Pardons Turkeys,
Gets in Obama Dig
Nov 22, 2017 12:30 AM CST
Trump Pardons Turkeys, Gets in Obama Dig
President spared Wishbone, Drumstick, but not before poking fun at his predecessor
- President Trump wielded his pardon power Tuesday to spare a pair of turkeys from the Thanksgiving roaster, joking that he would also let last year's turkey pardons stand despite his penchant for overturning Obama-era orders. In a brief White House ceremony, Trump extended the annual presidential tradition of pardoning...
Wild Turkeys Have
Returned to 49 States
Nov 24, 2016 11:47 AM CST
Wild Turkeys Have Returned to 49 States
They're a wildlife restoration success story
- Wild turkeys, once common across New England, are back after disappearing from the region in the 19th century and are now regularly spotted in rural fields, suburban neighborhoods, and even the airspace above interstate highways. the AP reports. The revival is considered one of the major wildlife restoration success stories,...
Turkey Emergency? Butterball
Adds Texting Help Line
Oct 31, 2016 12:33 PM CDT
Turkey Emergency? Butterball Adds Texting Help Line
So you can get help without having to actually speak to anyone
- Every year since 1981, Butterball opens a help line in the days before Thanksgiving so struggling cooks can call in with questions about how to avoid ruining their turkey. This year, for the first time, the company has added a texting option,
reports. If you have turkey questions...
Turkey Euthanized After Being
Kidnapped by College Students
Sep 1, 2016 6:55 PM CDT
Turkey Euthanized After Being Kidnapped by College Students
Tim the turkey was found reeking of beer and with a broken toe.
- Two California college students have been sentenced for snatching a turkey that had to be euthanized five months after it was found reeking of beer, with a broken toe and missing feathers, the AP reports. Steven Koressel and Richard Melbye were sentenced to a year of probation Thursday after pleading...
Nov 27, 2015 6:37 AM CST
Michael Dukakis Wants Your Turkey Bones
He's got a soup recipe to share
- Michael Dukakis would have been one of America's thriftiest presidents, judging by what he does with Thanksgiving turkeys: He saves all the carcasses he can get to make soup with, and this year, he's probably going to have more than usual. The former Massachusetts governor tells the
Don't Blame Sleepiness
After Turkey Dinner
Nov 26, 2015 9:47 AM CST
Don't Blame Sleepiness After Turkey Dinner on Tryptophan
The amino acid has gotten a bad rap—but there's more to the story
- Succumbing to Mr. Sandman after a hearty turkey dinner isn't tryptophan's fault. At least, not totally, reports the
New York Times
, which has done its due diligence in compiling plenty of other sources that back up its stop-blaming-tryptophan campaign. The amino acid found in turkey—and long the...
'Abe' the Turkey, and
the Chinese ... Gloat
Nov 26, 2015 5:47 AM CST
Obama Pardons 'Abe' the Turkey, and the Chinese ... Gloat
That was Abe as in Abe Lincoln, but the Chinese had a different interpretation
- President Barack Obama's pardoning of a turkey named "Abe" this Thanksgiving has led some Chinese to gloat at the Japanese prime minister's expense. As part of a peculiar annual tradition at the White House, Obama on Wednesday granted amnesty from the dinner table to two turkeys named...
on 'Class' Dig
at Obama Kids
Nov 30, 2014 8:03 AM CST
GOP Aide Backtracks on 'Class' Dig at Obama Kids
Elizabeth Lauten's comments to bored Sasha and Malia inspired backlash
- President Obama trotted out his daughters for the sixth pardon of a turkey of his tenure, and when they, like much of the rest of the nation, appeared bored by the tradition , a congressional aide created a stir by publicly taking offense, reports the
Washington Post .
In a Facebook post...
How Did Turkeys
Double in Size?
Nov 27, 2014 10:15 AM CST
How Did Turkeys Double in Size?
No, they didn't just get hungry
- In the 1930s, the average Thanksgiving turkey weighed 13.2 pounds. Today, the average bird weighs in at more than twice that amount: a whopping 29.8 pounds. No, they didn't just get hungry. As
reports, American poultry farms began breeding the birds for size and speed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.