Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawmaker Apologizes After
Likening Women to Cows
Jan 13, 2023 2:31 PM CST
Lawmaker Apologizes After Likening Women to Cows
Editorial had warned comments could make Idaho 'a laughingstock'
- A new Idaho legislator narrowly elected in November thought the first bit of wisdom he should share with a state House committee was that much can be learned about women's reproductive rights by observing milking cows. On Thursday night, hours after being called out in a newspaper editorial, Republican...
Chemical Hair Straighteners
Linked to Uterine Cancer
Oct 18, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Chemical Hair Straighteners Linked to Uterine Cancer
Frequent use appears to double a woman's risk of developing uterine cancer
- If you're looking for a reason to join the natural hair movement , this could be it: Using chemical hair straighteners may come with an increased risk of uterine cancer, according to a new study by the National Institutes of Health. The study of 33,500 women in the US...
Got a Call,
Then 'the Room
Started to Spin'
Sep 28, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Katie Couric Got a Call, Then 'the Room Started to Spin'
Journalist reveals breast cancer diagnosis and surgery, urges others to get checked
- On her eighth wedding anniversary, Katie Couric found out she had breast cancer. "I felt sick and the room started to spin," the former TV anchor writes of the day, June 21, on her Katie Couric Media website. Her doctor had told her she was overdue for a...
Serena Asked for
Was Told She Was
Apr 8, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Serena Asked for Lifesaving Help, Was Told She Was Talking 'Crazy'
Tennis star describes advocating for herself in 'Elle'
- Serena Williams has previously opened up about almost dying following the 2017 birth of her daughter, but never before like this. The tennis star describes the horror of four surgeries in a week in a nearly 2,500-word essay in the April edition of
magazine. An emergency C-section , triggered...
Study On COVID Shot,
Menstruation is 'Reassuring'
Jan 9, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Study On COVID Shot, Menstruation is 'Reassuring'
Vaccines may cause irregular periods, but only temporarily
- A new study appears to validate reports from women who experience changes to their menstrual cycles after receiving COVID vaccinations, but researchers are saying not to panic. Per the
New York Times
, some women experienced later periods than usual, while others said bleeding became heavier or was accompanied by pain....
in case you missed it
Oct 24, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
'Broken Heart Syndrome' On Rise Among Women
Study finds takotsubo cardiomyopathy cases are increasing, especially in ages 50 to 74
- The technical term is takotsubo cardiomyopathy, but most would probably know the ailment by its informal name— broken heart syndrome . Now, a new study in the
Journal of the American Heart Association
finds that cases are on the rise, particularly among women ages 50 to 74, reports WebMD . Don't...
Here, Women Under 25
Will Get Birth Control for Free
Sep 9, 2021 1:55 PM CDT
Here, Women Under 25 Will Get Birth Control for Free
French health minister says it's 'unbearable that women cannot protect themselves'
- Women under 25 in France will soon get birth control—including the pill, IUDs, contraceptive patches, and other methods—for free. President Emmanuel Macron's government said Thursday that it would expand an existing program offering free contraception to women under 18 beginning next year as affordability is proving an...
For Women, a Potential
Wrinkle Over COVID Shots
in case you missed it
May 22, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
For Women, a Potential Wrinkle Over COVID Shots
Vaccine may lead to false positives on mammograms
- It's a bit of a Catch-22: COVID vaccinations are making it possible for more women to venture out and get mammograms after putting them off for a year or so. But those same vaccinations appear to be distorting results and leading to false positives on the exams, reports the...
Secretary of State
Alters US Approach
to Human Rights
Mar 31, 2021 3:07 PM CDT
Secretary of State Alters US Approach to Human Rights
Antony Blinken reverses some Trump administration policies
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken criticized Trump administration policies Tuesday in revealing the State Department's annual report on human rights, which was drafted under the previous administration. "Some have argued that it's not worth it for the US to speak up forcefully for human rights—or that...
Here Are the Best,
Worst States for Women
Mar 1, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Women
Minnesota comes out on top, Mississippi is at the bottom
- Pay gaps, the minimum wage, the pandemic—all issues that affect women disproportionately, though there are some areas of the US that offer better opportunities for women than others. WalletHub tries to shake those locations out, looking at more than two dozen metrics in two main categories: women's economic...
NZ's Prime Minister Has a Plan
to Reduce 'Period Poverty'
Feb 18, 2021 12:05 PM CST
NZ's Prime Minister Has a Plan to Reduce 'Period Poverty'
Jacinda Ardern announces that free menstrual products are coming to schools in June
- Students will soon have access to free period products across New Zealand, following a similar move in Scotland . Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Thursday that all schools would offer free menstrual products for the next three years, at a cost of about $18 million. The products will be made available...
A 'Broken' Chrissy Teigen
Defends Meghan Markle
Nov 26, 2020 9:32 AM CST
A 'Broken' Chrissy Teigen Defends Meghan Markle
Teigen calls journalist a 'piece of s---' for questioning the benefit of Markle's op-ed
- Chrissy Teigen knows all too well the backlash that can come with revealing a miscarriage . Hence her defense of Meghan Markle, who published an essay Wednesday describing the "unbearable grief" she felt in losing her second child . Criticism inevitably followed. At the
, for example, Camilla Tominey, who also...
'My Hope Is
Sep 12, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Hilary Swank Files Lawsuit: 'My Hope Is to Create Change'
The Oscar-winning actor sues SAG-AFTRA's health plan over 'antiquated' policies
- Hilary Swank is suing her union's "barbaric" health plan for refusing to cover her treatment of malignant ovarian cysts,
reports. The 46-year-old actor says SAG-AFTRA denied her coverage because the board of trustees considered it an infertility treatment, which the union plan doesn't cover. "Their...
Caffeine Limits for Pregnant
Women Need 'Radical Revision'
Aug 25, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
Caffeine Limits for Pregnant Women Need 'Radical Revision'
Health authorities disagree; 200mg daily limit remains
- Pregnant women who've limited their caffeine consumption to one or two cups of coffee per day, in accordance with official US guidance, aren't going far enough, according to a new peer-reviewed study that finds there's no safe level of caffeine for moms-to-be. Researchers say health recommendations in...
We Need to Talk
About the M-Word
in case you missed it
Aug 16, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
Michelle Obama: We Need to Talk About the M-Word
Former first lady describes going through menopause at the White House
- Michelle Obama was cruising on Marine One when it hit her: a hot flash that felt "like somebody put a furnace in my core and turned it on high. And then everything started melting." In that moment, the first lady, who was about to walk into an event,...
10 Best, Worst US
States for the Ladies
Mar 2, 2020 10:05 AM CST
10 Best, Worst US States for the Ladies
Massachusetts comes in at No. 1, Louisiana is dead last
- Women make up just over half of the population in America, so one would think that health care, job opportunities, and goodwill toward working parents as they relate to women would be a top priority. WalletHub took a look at all 50 states, plus the District at Columbia, analyzing two...
Aug 4, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
UK Doctor Offers Women 'Life-Changing' Surgery
Simon Fishel pioneers new treatment to delay menopause
- A fertility expert in Britain is offering a procedure that purports to fend off menopause and let women have children later in life, the
reports. A company formed by Simon Fishel, who developed IVF, offers the procedure to women until they're around 40. It sounds simple: Doctors fool...
Menstrual Cups as
Effective as Tampons
Jul 17, 2019 8:37 AM CDT
Money-Saving Menstrual Cups as Effective as Tampons
And they're just as safe, review of 43 studies finds
- The first major scientific review of sanitary products helps explain why thousands of women have switched to eco-friendly menstrual cups. The review of 43 studies involving 3,300 females found only rare complications from the rubber or silicone cups, which fit into the vagina to collect about one fluid ounce...
Georgia Now Has One of the
Strictest Abortion Laws in US
May 7, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
Georgia Now Has One of the Strictest Abortion Laws in US
'We will see Governor Kemp in court'
- One, two, three—and now, four. Georgia has passed a bill banning abortions after a detectable fetal "heartbeat," making it the fourth US state to pass such a law this year, per Vox . "All life has value, all life matters and all life is worthy of protection,...
Apr 10, 2019 12:40 PM CDT
Bosses Nab Intimate Details on Workers—via Fertility Tracker
Data is so useful, some employees are paid to use Ovia: 'WaPo'
- Some of the 10 million users of Ovia's health apps, including women trying to conceive via period tracking and expectant mothers recording everything from bodily functions to sex drive, are sending some of that data straight to their bosses. That's according to the
, which reports employers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Pam Anderson Isn't Who You Think She Is
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Lawyers Can't Track Down Scientology's David Miscavige
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.