Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Hundreds' of People in NY
May Be Infected With Polio
Aug 5, 2022 11:21 AM CDT
'Hundreds' of People in NY May Be Infected With Polio
So says state's health commissioner after virus turns up in wastewater in a 2nd county
- News last month of an unvaccinated man in New York's Rockland County contracting polio and suffering paralysis was soon followed by reports of the virus being found in wastewater there. Now, nearby Orange County has also turned up polio in its sewage, in samples taken from two different locations...
Saget's Family Didn't Know
He'd Died. Then Details Leaked
Jun 20, 2022 10:34 AM CDT
Saget's Family Didn't Know He'd Died. Then Details Leaked
2 Orange County deputies have been disciplined for confirming his death before kin was notified
- Two deputies in Florida's Orange County have been disciplined for leaking news about Bob Saget's death before his family had been notified. Emiliano Silva, one of the deputies who responded to the Jan. 9 call at Orlando's Ritz-Carlton hotel, where Saget's body was found, had been...
Sheriff's Deputy Stole
From Dead People
Mar 1, 2022 8:19 AM CST
Sheriff's Deputy Stole From Dead People
Steve Hortz pleads guilty to burglary, grand theft in Yorba Linda, Calif.
A former sheriff's deputy in California has pleaded guilty to stealing from the homes of dead people. Steve Hortz, a 12-year veteran of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, found the body of a man who died of natural causes at a Yorba Linda home in July 2020...
After Health Official's
Fla. DOH Takes Action
Jan 19, 2022 7:51 AM CST
After Health Official's Vaccination Email, Fla. DOH Takes Action
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County's health chief, put on leave after encouraging staffers to get vaccinated
- Throughout the pandemic, Florida's Dr. Raul Pino has been the public face for Orange County's Department of Health, appearing during news briefings to offer updates on case numbers and vaccinations. The county health director may not be on camera for a while, though: The state DOH announced Pino...
Man Allegedly Attacks
'Murderers' at Vaccine Clinic
Jan 5, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Man Allegedly Attacks 'Murderers' at Vaccine Clinic
Staffer ends up in the ER, and Thomas Apollo was arrested in Orange County
- The COVID situation turned ugly in California's Orange County last week, with a man arrested and accused of attacking workers at a vaccine clinic. Staffers at the Families Together mobile clinic in Tustin say the man began calling them "murderers" and perpetrators of a COVID hoax from the...
Basketball Legend's Son
Sentenced, and DA Isn't Happy
Nov 12, 2021 9:23 AM CST
Basketball Legend's Son Sentenced, and DA Isn't Happy
Adam Abdul-Jabbar, son of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, stabbed a neighbor over trash cans
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 29-year-old son was on Tuesday sentenced to six months in jail for stabbing his 60-year-old neighbor after being scolded about taking in some trash cans last June. Prosecutors had wanted Adam Abdul-Jabbar to serve seven years and opposed the plea deal offered by the judge, a...
Wildlife Officials Seek Info on
'Atrocious Act' Against Pelicans
Jun 21, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
Wildlife Officials Seek Info on 'Atrocious Act' Against Pelicans
Authorities say dozens of seabirds are being intentionally injured in Southern California
- "WHO'S MUTILATING PELICANS?" That was the all-caps question posed last week by Orange County's Wetlands & Wildlife Care Center after dozens of brown pelicans turned up along the Southern California coastline with serious injuries that appear to have been intentionally caused by a human. In a Facebook...
Bodies of Water Are
Suing the State of Florida
May 3, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Bodies of Water Are Suing the State of Florida
Orange County lakes, streams file suit against state, housing developer under 'right of nature' law
- Late last year, voters in Orange County, Fla., pushed through a "rights of nature" law, making it the largest US municipality to do so, per a November release from the Center for Democratic and Environmental Rights. The legislation basically gives rights to rivers, streams, marshes, and lakes throughout the...
'Unchecked Groping' Alleged
at Calif. Homeless Shelters
Dec 11, 2020 1:00 PM CST
'Unchecked Groping' Alleged at Calif. Homeless Shelters
ACLU sues cities, operators of 3 Orange County shelters
- In March 2019, the American Civil Liberties Union issued a report that suggested it was better to spend time in jail than in dirty, overcrowded Orange County homeless shelters. Residents at Anaheim's Bridges at Kraemer Place and Santa Ana's Courtyard Transitional Center and SAFEPlace shelters described feces covering...
State's GOP Accused of Setting
Up Illegal Ballot Drop Boxes
Oct 12, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
State's GOP Accused of Setting Up Illegal Ballot Drop Boxes
Calif.'s Republican Party is trying to claim it's legal 'ballot harvesting,' but SecState is pushing back
- Ballot drop boxes are popping up at churches, gun shops, candidate HQs, and local GOP party offices in three California counties, which would seem on the surface to offer voters lots of options for getting their vote counted. The problem is, these ballot boxes aren't official, and California's...
Man Caught Quarantining
in Disney's 'Tropical Paradise'
May 3, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Man Caught Quarantining in Disney's 'Tropical Paradise'
Richard McGuire says he never heard deputies or noticed 'no trespassing' signs
- Florida deputies arrested a man who had been living out his quarantine on a shuttered Disney World island, telling authorities it felt like a "tropical paradise." Orange County Sheriff's deputies found Richard McGuire on Disney's Discovery Island on Thursday, the AP reports. He said he'd...
California City Resists
Beach Closure Order
May 1, 2020 7:36 AM CDT
California City Resists Beach Closure Order
Huntington Beach seeks injunction against Newsom directive
- They were having fun, fun, fun, until Newsom took the beaches away. The city of Huntington Beach is fighting California Gov. Gavin Newsom's order to close all beaches and state parks in Orange County starting Friday, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. The city council, saying it should be up...
One of Those
Mar 21, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Surfers' Grisly Find: 'Like One of Those
Woman's body found in California waters; Orange County officials deem death 'suspicious'
- A morning in California waters turned gruesome for a bunch of surfers this week when they stumbled across a woman's body—a death now being deemed "suspicious" by local officials. The San Clemente Times reports that the surfers came across the body around 8am Wednesday, in the ocean...
US Has Its 3rd
Jan 26, 2020 8:11 AM CST
US Has Its 3rd Coronavirus Case
Patient confirmed in Southern California as cases worldwide near 2K
- A patient in Southern California is the third person in the US to be diagnosed with the new pneumonia-like virus from China, reports the AP . The Centers for Disease Control confirmed a traveler from the Chinese city of Wuhan—the epicenter of the outbreak—tested positive for the virus, the...
by the Neck.
Then, a Distraction
Jan 21, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Cougar Was Dragging Boy by the Neck. Then, a Distraction
Animal, found with backpack hurled by father, is euthanized
- A 3-year-old boy is recovering in Southern California after a mountain lion bit him on the neck. The boy was leading his family—two adults and three other children—on a walk through Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in Lake Forest around 4pm Monday when the cougar appeared, seized the boy...
Pictured at Party
Giving Nazi Salute
Mar 5, 2019 5:16 PM CST
California Teens Pictured at Party With Swastika, Giving Nazi Salute
Photograph went viral, led to outcry
- A California school district is investigating a social media photograph in which young people are seen giving Nazi salutes while standing around a table on which red cups form a swastika, the AP reports. The Newport-Mesa Unified School District was made aware Sunday of social media postings "involving some...
With a 6th Seat Flipped, Calif.
Dems Cement a Rout in House
Nov 18, 2018 10:21 AM CST
With a 6th Seat Flipped, Calif. Dems Cement a Rout in House
Gil Cisneros defeats Republican in Orange County, Richard Nixon's birthplace
- Democrat Gil Cisneros captured a Republican-held US House seat in Southern California, capping a Democratic rout in which the party picked up six congressional seats in the state. In what had been the last undecided House contest in California, Cisneros beat Republican Young Kim for the state's 39th District...
SUV Flips on Highway
in Scary Night for Will Ferrell
Apr 13, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
SUV Flips on Highway in Scary Night for Will Ferrell
50-year-old actor released from hospital after Thursday night accident; 3 others injured
- Ron Burgundy lives to charm us another day. Actor Will Ferrell was in a serious car crash Thursday night in Orange County, Calif., with a 30-second video recorded by LA-OC.tv and now on TMZ showing a dented-up black SUV with shattered windows after the accident. The
1K Bicycles, Hidden Bunker
Found in Homeless Camp
Nov 18, 2017 4:56 PM CST
1K Bicycles, Hidden Bunker Found in Homeless Camp
'I’ve been doing this job for 20 years and even I was stunned'
- “It’s nothing I’ve ever seen before," Lt. Jeff Puckett of the Orange County Sheriff's Department tells the
Orange County Register
. Having removed between 150 and 200 homeless people from an encampment along the Santa Ana River in Southern California earlier this month, officials were...
Teen Heroes: 'They're Going to
Die If We Don't Do Something'
Nov 6, 2017 12:05 PM CST
Teen Heroes: 'They're Going to Die If We Don't Do Something'
Calif. 16-year-olds Alex Schrier, Jeffrey Bounds help rescue passengers in burning car
- Two quick-acting teens and a third Good Samaritan are being hailed as heroes for rushing to save a man and woman trapped in a burning car that crashed in Southern California. Alex Schrier and Jeffrey Bounds, both 16 and teammates on their high school baseball team, spotted the vehicle on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Doritos Caters to Gamers With Crunch-Silencing App
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.