Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Russia: 1K Last-Ditch Fighters
Have Surrendered in Mariupol
May 19, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Russia: 1K Last-Ditch Fighters Have Surrendered in Mariupol
It's not clear how many soldiers remain inside steel plant
- The battle that turned Mariupol into a worldwide symbol of defiance and suffering drew toward a close as Russia said Wednesday that nearly 1,000 last-ditch Ukrainian fighters who held out inside a pulverized steel plant had surrendered, the AP reports. The Ukrainian fighters who emerged from the ruined Azovstal...
He Wore a 'Z' After
Medaling. Now, a Ban
May 18, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
He Wore a 'Z' After Medaling. Now, a Ban
Russian gymnast Ivan Kuliak sported letter, symbol of Russian invasion, while next to Ukrainian
- The letter "Z," a letter proudly tied by the Russians to their invasion of Ukraine, has been spotted everywhere from military tanks to warmongering politicians. One of the country's gymnasts, however, is now paying the price for defiantly wearing his own version of it after medaling in...
Captured Russian on
His Guilt: 'Yes. Fully Yes'
May 18, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Captured Russian on His Guilt: 'Yes. Fully Yes'
Soldier is accused of gunning down unarmed 62-year-old civilian
A Russian soldier on Wednesday pleaded guilty to charges of killing a Ukrainian civilian just four days after the war began. Sgt. Vadim Shyshimarin pleaded guilty to shooting a 62-year-old man on a bicycle in Chupakhivka in what is being called the first war crimes trial related to the...
Apply to Join NATO
May 18, 2022 6:02 AM CDT
Finland, Sweden Apply to Join NATO
Spurred by Russian invasion of Ukraine, countries make big move
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that the military alliance stands ready to seize a historic moment and move quickly on allowing Finland and Sweden to join its ranks, after the two countries submitted their membership requests. The official applications, handed over by Finland's and Sweden's ambassadors...
The Fall of Mariupol
Appears to Be at Hand
May 18, 2022 12:25 AM CDT
The Fall of Mariupol Appears to Be at Hand
Ukraine abandons defense of steel plant
- Mariupol appeared on the verge of falling to the Russians on Tuesday as Ukraine moved to abandon the steel plant where hundreds of its fighters had held out for months under relentless bombardment in the last bastion of resistance in the devastated city. The capture of Mariupol would make it...
Retired Colonel Says What
Kremlin Doesn't Want to Hear
May 17, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Retired Colonel Says What Kremlin Doesn't Want to Hear
He urged fellow panelists on state TV not to 'drink information tranquilizers' about invasion
- If nothing else, it will be interesting to see whether Mikhail Khodarenok ever appears again on
, the twice-daily Russian state TV program that normally “promotes the Kremlin line on absolutely everything," according to the BBC. Khodarenok, a retired colonel and military analyst, crossed that line in...
May 16, 2022 8:10 PM CDT
Ukraine Ends Battle Over Mariupol Plant
Zelensky says it's time to evacuate 'Ukrainian heroes'
- The battle of the Azovstal steel complex in Mariupol is over, Ukraine announced Monday. The mission has turned to one of evacuation, President Volodymyr Zelensky said: "We hope to save the lives of our boys." He praised the troops who withstood the Russian attack for weeks while protecting...
Sweden: We Want
to Join NATO, Too
May 16, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Sweden: We Want to Join NATO, Too
Government, like Finland's, will apply for membership
- Sweden's prime minister announced Monday that Sweden will join Finland in seeking NATO membership in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a historic shift that comes after more than 200 years of military nonalignment in the Nordic country, per the AP . The move, which is likely to...
Going Russia's Way
May 16, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Numerous reports indicate its operation in Ukraine has stalled
- The tide may be turning in the Russia-Ukraine conflict, and not in the direction Russia wants it to be. A number of recent reports indicate things don't seem to be going so well for Russia:
"Russia's war in Ukraine is not going as Moscow
Finland Makes Bid
for NATO Official
May 15, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Finland Makes Bid for NATO Official
Sweden's ruling party reverses on opposition to joining alliance
- NATO moved closer to expansion on Sunday, as Finland confirmed its intention to apply for membership and Sweden's ruling party dropped its opposition to that nation joining. Both countries have long been militarily nonaligned, and NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said their joining the organization will constitute a "...
G7 Sends Blunt Message
to China About Aiding Russia
May 14, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
G7 Sends Blunt Message to China About Aiding Russia
Foreign ministers warn that urgent action is needed to avoid food, energy shortage
- China's refusal to join the call for a ceasefire in Ukraine brought the Communist country an unusually stern rebuke Saturday from the G7 nations, including a warning not to do anything to assist Russia with its invasion. "We call on China not to assist Russia in its war...
GOP Senators Make
Unannounced Trip to Kyiv
May 14, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
GOP Senators Make Unannounced Trip to Kyiv
Zelensky welcomes display 'of bipartisan support'
- The latest unannounced trip to Ukraine by US politicos was made Saturday by four Republican senators, including Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. President Volodymyr Zelensky welcomed the visit as "a strong signal of bipartisan support for Ukraine," the
reports. The meeting was announced Saturday by Zelensky's...
Rand Paul Stalls Passage
on $40B Ukraine Aid Package
May 13, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Rand Paul Stalls Passage on $40B Ukraine Aid Package
Military, humanitarian aid bill has been delayed until next week at the earliest
- A $40 billion package of military, economic, and humanitarian aid for Ukraine has strong bipartisan support—but it was delayed in the Senate Thursday because it does not have the support of Republican Sen. Rand Paul. The senator from Kentucky single-handedly delayed the aid package by calling for a last-minute...
Videos Surface to Support
Claims of Attacks on Civilians
May 12, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Videos Surface to Support Claims of Attacks on Civilians
BBC and 'Wall Street Journal' have separate investigations
- Two news outlets are out with separate accounts alleging Russian attacks on Ukrainian civilians. Both stories are backed up by video, but note that the contents may be disturbing to watch:
The BBC has CCTV footage that it says "clearly shows" Russian soldiers shooting two unarmed Ukrainians
Account Just to
May 12, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Ukrainian Soldier Creates Twitter Account Just to Contact Musk
'Help us get out of Azovstal,' the commander tweets from besieged steel plant in Mariupol
- Serhiy Volyna only recently created a Twitter account, and he's so far tweeted just once and is following just one person. That person is Elon Musk, who was also the subject of the Ukrainian commander's one tweet, reports the AFP . "People say you come from another planet...
Dolphins May Be
of Russia's War
May 12, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Dolphins May Be Surprise Victims of Russia's War
More than 100 have been found dead on Black Sea shores, with some pointing to noise pollution
- Dolphins are turning up dead in the Black Sea, which experts say could be a consequence of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Since war began in February, Turkey has recorded a rise in dolphin deaths across its Black Sea coast. More than 100 dolphins had been found dead before the...
Pussy Riot Member Fled
Moscow in Delivery Outfit
May 11, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Pussy Riot Member Fled Moscow in Delivery Outfit
'I could no longer stay in Russia,' Lucy Shtein says
- Lucy Shtein has experience in hiding her identity in Moscow. "I have worn different disguises before to dodge the police," the Pussy Riot activist said, per the
. "Sometimes I would wear long coats, I even dressed as a construction worker once." When President Vladimir Putin...
Are Stealing Grain
May 11, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Ukraine Says Russian Occupiers Are Stealing Grain
Satellite photos suggest some of it is being sent to Syria
- Stealing grain can be added to the long list of crimes committed by Russian forces occupying parts of Ukraine, Ukrainian officials say. According to officials in the Zaporizhzhia region, Russian trucks loaded with Ukrainian grain and other produce left an occupied town Tuesday, heading for Crimea, which has been under...
We Will Join Russia,
Official in Kherson
May 11, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
We Will Join Russia, Says Pro-Moscow Official in Kherson
Request to include southern Ukrainian region in Russian Federation to be made by year's end
- A Pro-Russia administration official in the Russian-occupied region of Kherson in southern Ukraine says the region will request annexation by Russia by the year's end. "The city of Kherson is Russia," Kirill Stremousov, the deputy head of Kherson's Russia-installed administration, told reporters on Wednesday, per the...
Top US Intelligence Official:
Putin Ready to Outlast Us All
May 11, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Top US Intelligence Official: Putin Ready to Outlast Us All
Avril Haines sees him as 'preparing for a prolonged conflict'
- The country's top intelligence official spoke at a Senate hearing Tuesday, and the updates she provided on the Ukraine invasion weren't encouraging. US Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines painted Vladimir Putin as digging in his heels and "preparing for a prolonged conflict," suspecting he'll...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
Verizon Just Got Pricier
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.