Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Surprise Letter From DOJ
May 8, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Reporters Get Surprise Letter From DOJ
During Trump administration, DOJ got phone records for 3 probing Russian election interference
- Three current and former reporters for the
received an alarming notification this week, in the form of a May 3 letter from the Department of Justice that informed them their phone records had been secretly seized by the DOJ over reporting they'd done in the early days...
Chappelle: I Saw Celebs Leave
'Dirty Notes' for Trump Aides
Apr 7, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
Chappelle: I Saw Celebs Leave 'Dirty Notes' for Trump Aides
Comedian describes mischief during one of President Obama's last White House parties
- In 2019, then-White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham claimed aides of former President Obama had left disparaging notes around the White House for members of former President Trump's administration to find. At Inauguration Day, "Every office was filled with Obama books, and we had notes left behind that...
Secretary of State
Alters US Approach
to Human Rights
Mar 31, 2021 3:07 PM CDT
Secretary of State Alters US Approach to Human Rights
Antony Blinken reverses some Trump administration policies
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken criticized Trump administration policies Tuesday in revealing the State Department's annual report on human rights, which was drafted under the previous administration. "Some have argued that it's not worth it for the US to speak up forcefully for human rights—or that...
HHS Secretary Notes Capitol
Riot in Resignation Letter
Jan 16, 2021 6:00 AM CST
HHS Secretary Notes Capitol Riot in Resignation Letter
A not-unusual stepping down as new administration enters, but his letter had some harsh words
- As the US presidency changes hands on Wednesday, one of the Trump administration's remaining Cabinet members will officially remove his own name from the payroll. CNN reports that on Tuesday, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar submitted his letter of resignation to President Trump, and while he listed...
Feds Shift Strategy on Vaccine
Jan 12, 2021 9:08 AM CST
Feds Shift Strategy on Vaccine
Plan to speed up distribution includes getting vaccines into pharmacies
- The Trump administration is asking states to speed delivery of COVID-19 vaccines to people 65 and older and to others at high risk by no longer holding back the second dose of the two-dose shots, officials said Tuesday, per the AP . Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said that...
Next Out Is
Jan 11, 2021 5:55 PM CST
Next Out Is DHS Boss Chad Wolf
The acting secretary was to help plan security for Biden's inauguration
- Blaming "recent events, including the ongoing and meritless court rulings regarding the validity of my authority as Acting Secretary," Chad Wolf resigned Monday from the Department of Homeland Security. Wolf told staff members in a letter that he was saddened to leave, CNBC reports, and had planned to...
'I Can't Do It.
I Can't Stay'
Jan 7, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Mick Mulvaney: 'I Can't Do It. I Can't Stay'
He resigns from administration, predicts others will soon follow
- Former White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney has resigned from the administration, and he says he's likely not the only one getting off the Trump train. Mulvaney told CNBC Thursday that he called Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to resign as special envoy to Northern Ireland after Wednesday'...
DeVos Has One Word for
Education Department Staff
Dec 16, 2020 12:43 PM CST
DeVos Has One Word for Education Department Staff
Politico says it has the recording
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos reportedly has one word for the thousands of career employees who will remain with the department during the transition to a Joe Biden administration: "Resist." DeVos gave the directive during a department-wide virtual meeting on Tuesday, Politico reports, citing an unpublished audio recording. "...
He Vanished 13 Years Ago.
Now, the US Places Blame
Dec 14, 2020 11:12 AM CST
He Vanished 13 Years Ago. Now, the US Places Blame
Finger officially pointed at Iran for abduction, death of retired FBI agent Robert Levinson
- The Trump administration for the first time on Monday formally blamed Iran for the presumed death of retired FBI agent Robert Levinson, publicly identifying two Iranian intelligence officers believed responsible for his abduction. Levinson disappeared in Iran under mysterious circumstances more than a decade ago, and though US diplomats and...
Trump Administration Won't
Tighten Air Quality Standards
Dec 7, 2020 7:02 PM CST
Trump Administration Won't Tighten Air Quality Standards
EPA scientists were among the experts who wanted a change
- Despite evidence of the harmful effects of air pollution on people with COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses, the Trump administration has decided against tightening soot standards. The Environmental Protection Agency instead will lock in limits put in place by President Obama's administration in 2012 for another five years. Experts...
DOJ to Allow for Federal
Execution by Firing Squad
Nov 26, 2020 1:02 PM CST
DOJ to Allow for Federal Execution by Firing Squad
Change is one of several to come before Trump's term is up
- Death by firing squad could be the fate of federal death row inmates in the US under a new rule from the Justice Department. For decades, federal executions have been carried out by lethal injection. But a new rule to be published Friday in the Federal Register, and take effect...
in the US, for Now
Nov 13, 2020 8:40 AM CST
TikTok Survives in the US, for Now
US ban delayed as administration appeals judge's ruling
- The TikToks will keep rolling. The Department of Commerce said Thursday it will delay enforcing President Trump's executive order requiring TikTok to suspend US operations as of midnight Thursday. The department's statement says the order is on hold "pending further legal developments," per the
Out of the Shadows
Oct 28, 2020 4:19 PM CDT
'Anonymous' Comes Out of the Shadows
Miles Taylor says he's the author of a book and op-ed about President Trump
- "Anonymous" has emerged. Miles Taylor, former chief of staff at Homeland Security, says he is the author of a scathing op-ed and a book about President Trump that roiled Washington over the past two years, the
New York Times
reports. "Much has been made of the fact that...
as 'Cliff' Looms
Oct 27, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Stimulus Hopes Fade as 'Cliff' Looms
Unemployed stand to lose checks at the end of the year
- The Trump administration warned Tuesday not to expect a major pandemic relief package before next week's election. "The chances are slim when you have someone like Nancy Pelosi as speaker of the House," White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany said on Fox Business Network, Reuters reports. President Trump...
Trump Secured 45 Ventilators
From Russia. All Were Trashed
Oct 20, 2020 12:17 PM CDT
Trump Secured 45 Ventilators From Russia. All Were Trashed
Meanwhile, Russia collected 200 US ventilators, BuzzFeed reports
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency received 45 Russian ventilators on April 1, shortly after President Trump asked Russian President Vladimir Putin for help dealing with the coronavirus pandemic. As BuzzFeed reports, "they were part of a lopsided aid deal between the countries that would ultimately see Russia delivering a...
Trump's 'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Get SCOTUS Review
Oct 19, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Get SCOTUS Review
Court won't look at the case until 2021, though—meaning it may be moot if Biden is elected
- The Supreme Court agreed on Monday to review a Trump administration policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings. As is typical, the court didn't comment in announcing it would hear the case. Because the court's calendar is already full through the end of the...
Oct 19, 2020 9:03 AM CDT
WH's Top Counterterrorism Official Had Secret Syrian Meeting
Kash Patel visited for negotiations on Austin Tice, other hostages—the first such visit in 10 years
- American journalist Austin Tice disappeared in Syria eight years ago, and is believed to have been a captive there since. Now, in what Bloomberg calls a "rare sign of diplomacy," sources say the White House's top counterterrorism official has traveled there for secret talks to negotiate for...
US Warns Russia About
New 'Costly Arms Race'
Oct 16, 2020 4:35 PM CDT
US Warns Russia About New 'Costly Arms Race'
Both nations reject proposals on nuclear weapons
- The US and Russia on Friday rejected each other's proposals for potentially salvaging the last remaining legal constraint on their strategic nuclear forces. President Vladimir Putin called for an unconditional extension of the soon-to-expire New START treaty, the AP reports, and the White House called that a "non-starter....
Trump: FDA Vaccine Rules
Are a 'Political Hit Job'
Oct 7, 2020 6:36 AM CDT
Trump: FDA Vaccine Rules Are a 'Political Hit Job'
With 2-month observation period, pre-election authorization is unlikely
- The Trump administration has signed off on FDA guidelines for a thorough coronavirus vaccine review, which is likely to delay authorization until after Election Day, per the
Wall Street Journal
. Though officials had initially blocked the guidelines, per the AP , a senior administration official tells the
that the White...
Patagonia Hid Message
to Voters in Its Shorts
in case you missed it
Sep 19, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Patagonia Hid Message to Voters in Its Shorts
It refers to climate deniers, company says
- Outdoor clothing company Patagonia isn't beating around the bush when it comes to the upcoming election. The California-based brand is owning the message it quietly placed on the underside of the tag on newly made Regenerative Organic Stand-Up Shorts for men and women. It reads: "Vote the a--holes...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Cops: Vince Carter's Wife, Kids Hid During Burglary
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.