Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Failed Fyre Festival
Could Get Thousands
Apr 16, 2021 9:12 AM CDT
Attendees of Failed Fyre Festival Could Get Thousands
Settlement, subject to approval, puts forth payments of $7.2K each
- Some 277 people who traveled to the Bahamas for Fyre Festival in 2017 could be getting a payout. A class-action lawsuit has been followed by a settlement between ticketholders and the trustee of Fyre Festival assets, filed in US Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York on Tuesday,...
But the Feds
Find a Way
Aug 1, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
The Festival Fizzled Out. But the Feds Find a Way to Profit
The US Marshals Service puts merchandise and 'minor assets' up for auction
- More than three years after the highly publicized Fyre Festival famously fizzled out in the Bahamas, merchandise and other "minor assets" are up for sale—courtesy of the US Marshals Service, the AP reports. In a release Thursday, the US Marshals announced that 126 items from the festival will...
Was 'So Hyped'
—And Now Has
to Pay $90K
May 20, 2020 7:23 PM CDT
Kendall Jenner Was 'So Hyped' —And Now Has to Pay $90K
The model was sued over a single Instagram post
- Kendall Jenner has agreed to pay $90,000 to settle a lawsuit over the disastrous Fyre Festival —you know, the one that spawned two documentaries and got its organizer sent to prison on wire fraud charges. Jenner was sued in an effort to recover money for creditors who invested...
Fyre Fest Caterer
Who Lost Her Savings
Gets Good News
Jan 21, 2019 11:55 AM CST
Fyre Fest Caterer Who Lost Her Savings Gets Good News
Thanks to new documentaries bringing attention to her plight, Maryann Rolle is raising money
- The disastrous 2017 Fyre Festival , a supposedly luxurious music festival in the Bahamas that turned out to be a big mess, is the subject of two new documentaries—and thanks to the publicity, a caterer who says she was never paid is getting a happy ending. Restaurant owner Maryann Rolle...
Guy Behind Fyre Festival Fiasco
Learns His Fate
Oct 11, 2018 4:14 PM CDT
Guy Behind Fyre Festival Fiasco Learns His Fate
Billy McFarland gets 6 years in prison
- Declaring him to be a "serial fraudster" who has been "dishonest most of his life," a federal judge in Manhattan on Thursday sentenced the organizer of 2017's Fyre Festival to six years in prison, the
New York Times
reports. For his part, 26-year-old Billy McFarland acknowledged...
Prosecutors Want Fyre Fest
Promoter to Get Prison
Oct 3, 2018 7:19 PM CDT
Prosecutors Want Fyre Fest Promoter to Get Prison
They say Billy McFarland has duped investors out of $26M
- Prosecutors urged a judge Wednesday to sentence the promoter of a botched, highly publicized music festival in the Bahamas to over 15 years in prison, the AP reports. In a written filing in Manhattan federal court, prosecutors said Billy McFarland was "far more interested in the fame and notoriety...
Guilty Plea From Man Behind
'Cultural Experience of Decade'
Mar 7, 2018 4:01 AM CST
Guilty Plea From Man Behind 'Cultural Experience of Decade'
Well, that's what the Fyre Festival was supposed to be at least
- The promoter of the failed Fyre Festival in the Bahamas—once billed as the "cultural experience of the decade"—pleaded guilty to wire fraud charges Tuesday, agreeing to serve up to a decade in prison for lying to investors who lost over $26 million. Billy McFarland, 26, entered...
Man Behind Fyre Festival
Fiasco Busted for Fraud
Jul 1, 2017 10:59 AM CDT
Man Behind Fyre Festival Fiasco Busted for Fraud
William McFarland faces one count of wire fraud, scores of lawsuits
- Failed Fyre Festival co-founder William McFarland was set to appear before a federal judge on Saturday, one day after his arrest for wire fraud. CNN reports McFarland faces charges he defrauded at least two investors who put up $1.2 million to back his ultra-luxe Bahamas music festival that crashed...
Gets Its Hands on Telling
Recording of Fyre Fest Meeting
May 22, 2017 7:50 AM CDT
Gets Its Hands on Telling Recording of Fyre Fest Meeting
'NYT' cites audio of an apparently unfazed Ja Rule, partner after fiasco
- People won't soon forget the Ja Rule "luxury" music fest in the Bahamas that ended in chaos . The performer and his business partner, Billy McFarland, apologized afterward, but the pair's company, Fyre Media, has now been slammed with more than a dozen lawsuits, and a source tells...
Disastrous Music Festival
Now Facing $100M Lawsuit
May 1, 2017 1:25 PM CDT
Disastrous Music Festival Now Facing $100M Lawsuit
Fyre Festival organizers Billy McFarland and Ja Rule hit with class-action litigation
- If organizers of the music-festival-turned-disaster known as the Fyre Festival had hoped to make a quick buck, their strategy may be backfiring in a big way.
reports that an attendee/survivor has filed a $100 million class-action lawsuit against festival creators Billy McFarland and rapper Ja Rule, aka Jeffrey...
Luxury Festival Chaos
Apr 29, 2017 10:31 AM CDT
Organizers Sorry for 'Unacceptable' Luxury Festival Chaos
They're going to try again in the US
- After delivering a "luxury" festival experience so bad some attendees likened it to
The Lord of the Flies
, the people behind the Fyre Festival have promised much better things next time around. In a statement to
, festival co-owners Billy McFarland and rapper Ja Rule give their side of...
$12K Tickets to Luxury Music
Festival Definitely Not Worth It
Apr 28, 2017 2:18 PM CDT
$12K Tickets to Luxury Music Festival Definitely Not Worth It
Fyre Festival in Bahamas postponed amid chaos, confusion
- Thousands of people who had paid as much as $12,780 to attend a luxury music festival on a private island in the Bahamas arrived Thursday to find what they're describing as a "scam," a "sham," and a "complete cluster." The
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.