Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Brain Implant Gives
Woman Relief From
Oct 4, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Brain Implant Gives Woman Relief From Lifelong Depression
Doctors used a device approved for epilepsy
- A woman with depression that never got better, not with antidepressants and not with electroconvulsive therapy, is finally getting some relief, and some researchers are as happy as she is. A woman, identified only as Sarah, had struggled for most of her 36 years, but now finds herself capable of...
iPhones of the Future
May Keep Tabs on
Your Mental Health
Sep 21, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
iPhones of the Future May Keep Tabs on Your Mental Health
Apple has teamed up with Biogen, UCLA to study depression, anxiety, cognitive decline
- We rely on our devices for practically everything these days, and Apple apparently hopes we'll soon check our iPhones to get a better handle on our mental health. The tech giant has previously teamed up with UCLA on mental health research, and with pharmaceuticals company Biogen on studying cognitive...
Small Study Suggests
Unusual Depression Treatment
Jun 11, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
Small Study Suggests Unusual Depression Treatment
A pool of 24 people got relief after short treatments with laughing gas
- Can laughing gas treat severe depression? Scientists are starting to ask that question, and the answer is looking like a promising maybe. In a small study —only 24 people, 96% of whom were white and 70% were women—nitrous oxide lifted the symptoms of treatment-resistant depression. A larger...
Coaster' of Hiding
Wife's Affair Led
Aug 24, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Falwell: 'Roller Coaster' of Hiding Wife's Affair Led to Depression
Former head of Liberty University says wife's former lover threatened them, demanded money
- Jerry Falwell Jr. made several different headlines earlier this year, including when he told students they could come back to Liberty University during the pandemic, made a cringey face mask "joke," and stepped down from Liberty after an odd photo of him emerged. Now, in an exclusive statement...
Daughter of NFL Owner,
Film Producer Dead at 36
Aug 11, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
Daughter of NFL Owner, Film Producer Dead at 36
Hilary Tisch 'bravely fought the disease of depression for as long as she could,' says dad Steve
- The 36-year-old daughter of New York Giants co-owner and film producer Steve Tisch has died. Hilary Anne Tisch died Monday, Steve Tisch said in a statement issued on behalf of the family. The statement did not cite a cause of death or say where she died, but it noted she...
Edgar Allan Poe Likely
Didn't Kill Himself
Feb 25, 2020 7:59 AM CST
Edgar Allan Poe Likely Didn't Kill Himself
Researchers study his language, don't think he was suicidal
- Psychologists looking into the death of Edgar Allen Poe are disputing a widely held theory that the famous author committed suicide. The 40-year-old Poe died in a hospital in 1849 after what has been described as days of delirium, notes Fast Company . The cause of his death remains unclear to...
Psilocybin May Ease Anxiety
for a Surprisingly Long Time
Jan 28, 2020 8:43 AM CST
Psilocybin May Ease Anxiety for a Surprisingly Long Time
Cancer patients still feeling positive effects almost 5 years later
- About five years ago, a study found that cancer patients who took one dose of the compound found in magic mushrooms had much less anxiety. A followup study suggests the psilocybin's effect is still in place, reports NBC News . The study in the
Journal of Psychopharmacology
suggests that psilocybin...
Nation, a Big
Find on PTSD
Jan 10, 2020 7:43 AM CST
In Protest-Heavy Nation, a Big Find on PTSD
Nearly one-third of people in Hong Kong say they have PTSD symptoms
- A new study identifies a "major mental health burden" in Hong Kong, and it's linked to much of the social unrest there. Per the
, a new study published in the
journal notes that almost a third of adults there—nearly 2 million people—reported having symptoms...
Ruby Rose Ran
Into an Old Pal.
Then It All Began
Oct 12, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Ruby Rose Ran Into an Old Pal. Then It All Began 'to Unravel'
'Batwoman' actress reveals lifelong struggles with depression, suicide attempts, dissociative amnesia
- Ruby Rose made the revelation last month that she'd badly hurt doing stunts on the set of
, and she even posted an up-close look at the surgery she'd had to undergo to take care of her injuries. Now the 33-year-old actress has offered another glimpse into her...
Research Claws at
'Crazy Cat Lady' Stereotype
Aug 22, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Research Claws at 'Crazy Cat Lady' Stereotype
It suggests cat owners are no more anxious, depressed than others
- Roughly half of Americans buy into the "crazy cat lady" stereotype, generally believing cat owners to be single women surrounded by numerous balls of fur, according to a 2015 survey spotted by the
Los Angeles Times
. It's a long-standing idea, as evidenced by an 1872 editorial in the...
Teen Rape Survivor
Ends Her Life
Jun 5, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
Teen Rape Survivor Who Requested Euthanasia Ends Her Life
17-year-old Noa Pothoven suffered PTSD and depression
- "After years of struggling and fighting, it's over." So reads a Dutch teen's "sad last post" Saturday on her Instagram account , noting she'd stopped eating and drinking and would soon be free from "[unbearable] suffering." The
reports on the right-to-die...
Ariana Professes Big Love for
a Star. He Sweetly Responds
Apr 23, 2019 7:45 AM CDT
Ariana Professes Big Love for a Star. He Sweetly Responds
Grande, Jim Carrey bond over their thoughts on depression
- Ariana Grande started a sweet back-and-forth with Jim Carrey of all people on Saturday,
reports, when she posted an Instagram story showing a picture Carrey, alongside a quote of his on dealing with depression. "You should think of the word 'depressed' as 'deep rest,'...
First Postpartum Depression
Drug: Effective, Cumbersome
Mar 20, 2019 4:25 AM CDT
First Postpartum Depression Drug: Effective, Cumbersome
Women felt improvement within 24 hours, but need to get it via IV for 60 hours
- A groundbreaking treatment has been approved for what doctors say is a major medical condition that doesn't get talked about enough. The FDA has approved brexanolone, the first treatment specifically targeting postpartum depression, which will be sold as "Zulresso,"
reports. Doctors say it is much...
Nasal Spray Derived From Party
Drug Approved for Depression
Mar 6, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Nasal Spray Derived From Party Drug Approved for Depression
Esketamine, for treatment-resistant depression, to be administered by experts
- The FDA has approved a new fast-acting depression treatment derived from a party drug . Nasal spray esketamine from Johnson & Johnson's Janssen Pharmaceuticals contains an active portion of the ketamine molecule. As a generic anesthetic, ketamine or "Special K" is increasingly available for depression, but costs a pretty...
Devices, Bad for Teens?
Now They Might Help
Jan 6, 2019 2:50 PM CST
Devices, Bad for Teens? Now They Might Help
Patterns of smartphone use could indicate changes in mental health
- Rising suicide rates and depression in US teens and young adults have prompted researchers to ask a provocative question: Could the same devices that some people blame for contributing to tech-age angst also be used to detect it? The idea has sparked a race to develop apps that warn of...
Ariana, Celebs Rally Around
'Suicidal' Pete Davidson
Dec 15, 2018 1:51 PM CST
Ariana, Celebs Rally Around 'Suicidal' Pete Davidson
Saturday Night Live star posts grim Instagram message
- Is Pete Davidson on the brink? The
Saturday Night Live
star posted online missives Saturday that touch on mental health and suicide, per TMZ . "I really don't want to be on this earth anymore," writes the 25-year-old on Instagram. "I'm doing my best to stay...
The 'Magic' in 'Shrooms
Could Really Help You
Oct 8, 2018 4:16 PM CDT
The 'Magic' in 'Shrooms Could Really Help You
New study says it can serve medicinal purposes
- Want to quit smoking or alleviate depression? In a few years you might be taking the psychedelic "magic" in magic mushrooms—if the FDA ever agrees, the
New York Times
reports. Researchers from John Hopkins University suggest the FDA should reclassify psilocybin—the psychedelic drug in hallucinogenic mushrooms—to...
'Rising Democratic Star'
Drops Out of Race, Cites PTSD
Oct 3, 2018 6:29 AM CDT
'Rising Democratic Star' Drops Out of Race, Cites PTSD
Democrat Jason Kander says he's 'done hiding' his post-traumatic stress disorder, depression
- "I suffer from depression and have PTSD symptoms. After 11 years, I'm finally ready to do something about it." That was the surprise tweet Tuesday from Jason Kander, an Afghanistan war veteran and "rising Democratic star" who'd hoped to become the next mayor of Kansas...
Kate Spade's Cause of Death
Jun 7, 2018 11:25 AM CDT
Autopsy Confirms Kate Spade's Cause of Death
Designer committed suicide by hanging herself with a scarf
- All signs pointed to suicide in the death of fashion icon Kate Spade, and the New York City medical examiner's office confirmed that on Thursday, reports the
. The office ruled that the 55-year-old took her own life by hanging inside her apartment on Park Avenue. The confirmation...
Opens Up About
Apr 2, 2018 3:40 PM CDT
Dwayne Johnson Opens Up About Depression
And his mom's long-ago suicide attempt
- In February, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson revealed on Instagram that when he was 15, he saved his mother from a suicide attempt. In a new interview with the
, he opens up about that—and his own struggle with depression. "She got outta the car on Interstate 65...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
Lara Logan's Talent Agency Drops Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.