Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
How Acts of Kindness
Help Heal Depression
Jan 12, 2023 10:03 AM CST
How Acts of Kindness Help Heal Depression
Unlike some therapeutic techniques, it relieves symptoms and boosts social connection: study
- People experiencing symptoms of anxiety or depression will likely feel better in performing acts of kindness for others, which distract from their own feelings, new research shows. "Social connection is one of the ingredients of life most strongly associated with well-being," study co-author David Cregg, a PhD candidate...
Trial Raises Hope for Psilocybin
as Depression Treatment
Nov 3, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Trial Raises Hope for Psilocybin as Depression Treatment
Regulatory approval could come 'potentially within a few years' time'
- One or two doses of psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, has been found to help people with cancer , alcohol problems , anxiety, and depression , and now those with a severe, treatment-resistant form of depression, according to researchers. A phase 2 randomized, double-blind clinical trial involving 233 people with treatment-resistant...
WHO Has a Warning
for Couch Potatoes
Oct 20, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
WHO Has a Warning for Couch Potatoes
Agency notes 'severe' cost for physical inactivity, with various diseases looming
- Get active or risk disease. That's the message from the World Health Organization, whose first global report on physical activity indicates 500 million people in 194 countries will develop heart disease, obesity, diabetes, stroke, dementia, depression, or other diseases unless they boost their physical activity. "There are few...
Autopsy Report Reveals Cause
of Death for Naomi Judd
Aug 27, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Autopsy Report Reveals Cause of Death for Naomi Judd
Naomi Judd died by suicide with a firearm, as her family had previously indicated
In a confirmation of what Naomi Judd's family has told the public, a newly released autopsy report indicates she killed herself with a firearm, per the AP . The report, which is considered public record in Tennessee, also showed multiple prescription drugs in her system used to treat various...
Was Open About
May 2, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Naomi Judd Was Open About Mental Health Struggles
Late country star battled depression for years
- "We lost our beautiful mother to the disease of mental illness," is how daughters Ashley and Wynonna Judd put it in announcing the death of their mother, Naomi , at age 76. For those with only a passing acquaintance of the country star, that might have come as a...
Brain Implant Gives
Woman Relief From
Oct 4, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Brain Implant Gives Woman Relief From Lifelong Depression
Doctors used a device approved for epilepsy
- A woman with depression that never got better, not with antidepressants and not with electroconvulsive therapy, is finally getting some relief, and some researchers are as happy as she is. A woman, identified only as Sarah, had struggled for most of her 36 years, but now finds herself capable of...
iPhones of the Future
May Keep Tabs on
Your Mental Health
Sep 21, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
iPhones of the Future May Keep Tabs on Your Mental Health
Apple has teamed up with Biogen, UCLA to study depression, anxiety, cognitive decline
- We rely on our devices for practically everything these days, and Apple apparently hopes we'll soon check our iPhones to get a better handle on our mental health. The tech giant has previously teamed up with UCLA on mental health research, and with pharmaceuticals company Biogen on studying cognitive...
Small Study Suggests
Unusual Depression Treatment
Jun 11, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
Small Study Suggests Unusual Depression Treatment
A pool of 24 people got relief after short treatments with laughing gas
- Can laughing gas treat severe depression? Scientists are starting to ask that question, and the answer is looking like a promising maybe. In a small study —only 24 people, 96% of whom were white and 70% were women—nitrous oxide lifted the symptoms of treatment-resistant depression. A larger...
Coaster' of Hiding
Wife's Affair Led
Aug 24, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Falwell: 'Roller Coaster' of Hiding Wife's Affair Led to Depression
Former head of Liberty University says wife's former lover threatened them, demanded money
- Jerry Falwell Jr. made several different headlines earlier this year, including when he told students they could come back to Liberty University during the pandemic, made a cringey face mask "joke," and stepped down from Liberty after an odd photo of him emerged. Now, in an exclusive statement...
Daughter of NFL Owner,
Film Producer Dead at 36
Aug 11, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
Daughter of NFL Owner, Film Producer Dead at 36
Hilary Tisch 'bravely fought the disease of depression for as long as she could,' says dad Steve
- The 36-year-old daughter of New York Giants co-owner and film producer Steve Tisch has died. Hilary Anne Tisch died Monday, Steve Tisch said in a statement issued on behalf of the family. The statement did not cite a cause of death or say where she died, but it noted she...
Edgar Allan Poe Likely
Didn't Kill Himself
Feb 25, 2020 7:59 AM CST
Edgar Allan Poe Likely Didn't Kill Himself
Researchers study his language, don't think he was suicidal
- Psychologists looking into the death of Edgar Allen Poe are disputing a widely held theory that the famous author committed suicide. The 40-year-old Poe died in a hospital in 1849 after what has been described as days of delirium, notes Fast Company . The cause of his death remains unclear to...
Psilocybin May Ease Anxiety
for a Surprisingly Long Time
Jan 28, 2020 8:43 AM CST
Psilocybin May Ease Anxiety for a Surprisingly Long Time
Cancer patients still feeling positive effects almost 5 years later
- About five years ago, a study found that cancer patients who took one dose of the compound found in magic mushrooms had much less anxiety. A followup study suggests the psilocybin's effect is still in place, reports NBC News . The study in the
Journal of Psychopharmacology
suggests that psilocybin...
Nation, a Big
Find on PTSD
Jan 10, 2020 7:43 AM CST
In Protest-Heavy Nation, a Big Find on PTSD
Nearly one-third of people in Hong Kong say they have PTSD symptoms
- A new study identifies a "major mental health burden" in Hong Kong, and it's linked to much of the social unrest there. Per the
, a new study published in the
journal notes that almost a third of adults there—nearly 2 million people—reported having symptoms...
Ruby Rose Ran
Into an Old Pal.
Then It All Began
Oct 12, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Ruby Rose Ran Into an Old Pal. Then It All Began 'to Unravel'
'Batwoman' actress reveals lifelong struggles with depression, suicide attempts, dissociative amnesia
- Ruby Rose made the revelation last month that she'd badly hurt doing stunts on the set of
, and she even posted an up-close look at the surgery she'd had to undergo to take care of her injuries. Now the 33-year-old actress has offered another glimpse into her...
Research Claws at
'Crazy Cat Lady' Stereotype
Aug 22, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Research Claws at 'Crazy Cat Lady' Stereotype
It suggests cat owners are no more anxious, depressed than others
- Roughly half of Americans buy into the "crazy cat lady" stereotype, generally believing cat owners to be single women surrounded by numerous balls of fur, according to a 2015 survey spotted by the
Los Angeles Times
. It's a long-standing idea, as evidenced by an 1872 editorial in the...
Teen Rape Survivor
Ends Her Life
Jun 5, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
Teen Rape Survivor Who Requested Euthanasia Ends Her Life
17-year-old Noa Pothoven suffered PTSD and depression
- "After years of struggling and fighting, it's over." So reads a Dutch teen's "sad last post" Saturday on her Instagram account , noting she'd stopped eating and drinking and would soon be free from "[unbearable] suffering." The
reports on the right-to-die...
Ariana Professes Big Love for
a Star. He Sweetly Responds
Apr 23, 2019 7:45 AM CDT
Ariana Professes Big Love for a Star. He Sweetly Responds
Grande, Jim Carrey bond over their thoughts on depression
- Ariana Grande started a sweet back-and-forth with Jim Carrey of all people on Saturday,
reports, when she posted an Instagram story showing a picture Carrey, alongside a quote of his on dealing with depression. "You should think of the word 'depressed' as 'deep rest,'...
First Postpartum Depression
Drug: Effective, Cumbersome
Mar 20, 2019 4:25 AM CDT
First Postpartum Depression Drug: Effective, Cumbersome
Women felt improvement within 24 hours, but need to get it via IV for 60 hours
- A groundbreaking treatment has been approved for what doctors say is a major medical condition that doesn't get talked about enough. The FDA has approved brexanolone, the first treatment specifically targeting postpartum depression, which will be sold as "Zulresso,"
reports. Doctors say it is much...
Nasal Spray Derived From Party
Drug Approved for Depression
Mar 6, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Nasal Spray Derived From Party Drug Approved for Depression
Esketamine, for treatment-resistant depression, to be administered by experts
- The FDA has approved a new fast-acting depression treatment derived from a party drug . Nasal spray esketamine from Johnson & Johnson's Janssen Pharmaceuticals contains an active portion of the ketamine molecule. As a generic anesthetic, ketamine or "Special K" is increasingly available for depression, but costs a pretty...
Devices, Bad for Teens?
Now They Might Help
Jan 6, 2019 2:50 PM CST
Devices, Bad for Teens? Now They Might Help
Patterns of smartphone use could indicate changes in mental health
- Rising suicide rates and depression in US teens and young adults have prompted researchers to ask a provocative question: Could the same devices that some people blame for contributing to tech-age angst also be used to detect it? The idea has sparked a race to develop apps that warn of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.