Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Sorry for Halloween Costume
Nov 2, 2023 11:25 AM CDT
Actor is Sorry for Halloween Costume
Emily Hampshire and a friend dressed up as Johnny Depp and Amber Heard
actor Emily Hampshire has apologized for what she says is "one of the most thoughtless, insensitive, and ignorant things" she has ever done. In photos posted on Instagram, the Canadian actor dressed as Johnny Depp and a friend dressed as Amber Heard. They wore outfits Depp...
Have Strict Rules
Oct 20, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Striking Actors Have Strict Rules on Halloween Costumes
SAG-AFTRA issues its 'dos and don'ts' for thespians on the picket line
- If you had your Halloween costume picked out months ago, kudos to you for preplanning. If you had your Halloween costume picked out months ago,
you're an actor currently on the picket line, you might want to double-check if you're actually allowed to wear it. SAG-AFTRA has...
It Took Heidi Klum
2 Years to Look Like This
Nov 2, 2022 11:57 AM CDT
It Took Heidi Klum 2 Years to Look Like This
'Vogue' gets the scoop on her Halloween costume
- Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party—and the elaborate costumes she wears to them—have become near legendary. This year was no exception, but it was a different kind of jaw-dropping look: The model dressed as a worm. As
explains, the costume was a long time coming. COVID prevented...
Children's Museum Worker
Fired for Halloween Costume
Nov 2, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Children's Museum Worker Fired for Halloween Costume
Man who wandered downtown Madison, Wis., in Hitler outfit is said to have cognitive disabilities
- A Wisconsin man has lost his job at the Madison Children's Museum over his choice of Halloween costume. Per a Monday statement from the museum, the unidentified employee was spotted Saturday night wandering around the city's downtown "dressed and otherwise [portraying] himself as Hitler." Madison.com...
Buttigiegs' Halloween Post
Brings Both Smiles, Concern
Nov 1, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Buttigiegs' Halloween Post Brings Both Smiles, Concern
2-month-old Joseph August, who was a traffic cone for Halloween, was in hospital for the holiday
- A Halloween surprise from the Buttigieg family drew both likes and expressions of support after an Instagram post by the transportation secretary's husband. "Happy Halloween from these #twinfrastructure safety advocates!" Chasten Buttigieg wrote , with one of his accompanying pictures showing Pete Buttigieg as he held one of...
Schools Are Banning
Oct 28, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Schools Are Banning
Upstate NY district cites 'potential violent messages'
- While traditional Halloween costume inspirations like vampires, pirates, and Batman aren't known for their nonviolent tendencies, elementary schools in upstate New York have decided that
costumes are a step too far. At least three schools in the region have banned costumes inspired by the hit South Korean...
3 Professors Suspended Over
Unearthed Halloween Photos
Mar 7, 2021 5:32 AM CST
3 Professors Suspended Over Unearthed Halloween Photos
The Univ. of Southern Alabama faculty members wore racially insensitive costumes in 2014
- Three professors at the University of South Alabama have been placed on leave after racially insensitive Halloween photos surfaced of them, the university said. USA President Tony Waldrop made the announcement Friday. An independent investigation into the incident will be conducted by attorney Suntrease Williams-Maynard, a former trial attorney for...
Boy's Halloween Costume Gets
2 School Officials Suspended
Nov 4, 2019 7:09 AM CST
Boy's Halloween Costume Gets 2 School Officials Suspended
Utah elementary student dressed like Hitler in parade
- A student's Halloween costume has gotten his teacher and principal suspended at an elementary school near Salt Lake City, Utah. The reason? The boy dressed up like Hitler— complete with a swastika-adorned brown shirt and fake mustache—and marched in the Halloween parade at Creekside Elementary, reports the
a 'Gross Display
Nov 3, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
School Staffers' Halloween Get-Up a 'Gross Display of Dehumanization'
Superintendent apologizes after staffers dressed as 'border wall' and in stereotypical Mexican garb
- Halloween is over, but the controversy in one Idaho town isn't. NBC News reports that the superintendent for Middleton School District has issued an apology after photos were shared on social media of staffers at Heights Elementary School dressed up, as a group, as both stereotypical Mexicans—complete with...
Woman's Costume Sends
Her to Emergency Dentist
Oct 31, 2018 12:13 PM CDT
Woman's Costume Sends Her to Emergency Dentist
Woman is warning others not to use the glue that comes with fake teeth
- Anna Tew certainly had a scary Halloween experience, though not in the way you might think. The Mobile, Ala., woman bought a $3 pair of fake fangs to complete her zombie costume, and she applied them to her teeth using the glue that was included. Little did she know the...
Oct 30, 2018 2:33 AM CDT
Olympian Is 'So Sorry' About His Halloween Costume
Shaun White dressed as a disabled character from 'Tropic Thunder'
- Shaun White knows how to snowboard—but dress up for Halloween? Not so much, it seems. The three-time winner of Olympic gold went out this weekend as Simple Jack, the disabled character from the movie
, and promptly issued an apology Monday,
reports. "I owe everyone in...
CDC: Go Ahead, Dress Your
Chickens for Halloween
Oct 28, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
CDC: Go Ahead, Dress Your Chickens for Halloween
This is an actual government press release
- If you want to dress your chicken up for Halloween, the CDC wants you to know that it's just fine with you letting your avian freak flag fly, reports KUTV . In an actual news release meant to soothe those whose Halloween plans were thrown into emotional upheaval, the government...
Oct 25, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
Company Yanks Costume With Controversial 'Dead' Name
Costume Agent's get-up was a sendup of Caitlyn Jenner—adding 'Bruce' didn't help
- Megyn Kelly did a segment on controversial Halloween costumes earlier this week that got her into a bit of trouble , but there was one get-up she didn't cover. A first glance at the fake Olympic decathlete jersey, running shorts, and gold medals from vendor Costume Agent doesn't reveal...
Megyn Kelly's Colleagues
Publicly Blast Her Comments
Oct 24, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Megyn Kelly's Colleagues Publicly Blast Her Comments
She addresses her Tuesday remarks about blackface on Wednesday's show
- Megyn Kelly apologized to her colleagues on Tuesday for the comments she made about blackface during a
Megyn Kelly Today
segment on Halloween costumes. On Wednesday, she apologized to everybody else. She opened her show with the following (video here ): "I want to begin with two words, I'...
Megyn Kelly Apologizes
to Colleagues for
Oct 23, 2018 4:53 PM CDT
Megyn Kelly Apologizes to Colleagues for Blackface Comments
Not everyone was down with the 'Megyn Kelly Today' host's thoughts on Halloween
- While at Fox News in 2013, Megyn Kelly got slammed for saying Santa "just
white." Another network, another holiday, another controversy: During a segment on controversial Halloween costumes during her NBC show on Tuesday, Kelly brought up the subject of wearing blackface on Halloween and whether doing...
Sep 28, 2018 1:45 PM CDT
Urban Outfitters 'Jumps the Shark' With Halloween Costume
The social media 'influencer' outfit comes with leggings and a pseudo-sports bra and costs $59
- Paying $59 for "a package of crap" is how the Verge describes the experience of buying Urban Outfitters' newest Halloween costume . The good news, though, if you pony up the cash for a pair of grayish leggings and "sports bra" (really a very short crop top with zero...
for Protests, Not for Halloween
Sep 21, 2018 1:45 PM CDT
Costume Great for Protests, Not for Halloween
At least not the sexy version of it that just got Yandy into hot water
- Halloween costumes based on popular TV shows usually do well their first year out, but one new getup was nixed before the first pumpkin was carved. The Daily Dot reports Yandy.com, a retail site known for its sexy costumes, yanked one based on the Hulu series
Popular on Newser
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.