Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Breonna Taylor Charges
Involve Secret Garage Meeting
Aug 4, 2022 11:57 AM CDT
New Breonna Taylor Charges Involve Secret Garage Meeting
4 former or current Louisville police officers are charged in botched deadly raid
- The botched police raid that resulted in the death of Breonna Taylor has led to federal charges against four current and former Louisville officers. "Breonna Taylor should still be alive," Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday in announcing the charges, per the AP . Three of those charged—former...
Mar 3, 2022 2:30 PM CST
Ex-Cop in Breonna Taylor Raid Found Not Guilty
Brett Hankison faced three counts for firing into neighboring apartment
A former police officer in Louisville, Kentucky, accused of recklessly firing his gun during the fatal raid on Breonna Taylor's apartment has been found not guilty, reports NBC News . Brett Hankison, 45, was not on trial over Taylor's death but because bullets from his gun entered the...
Cop Who Shot Breonna Taylor
Is Looking for New Publisher
Aug 23, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Cop Who Shot Breonna Taylor Is Looking for New Publisher
Jonathan Mattingly returns advance after Simon & Schuster refuses to distribute book
- One of the police officers who shot Breonna Taylor in 2020 has decided to return his advance and find another publisher for his book. Jonathan Mattingly's book was picked up by Post Hill Press, a conservative publisher in DC known for titles like
Follow the Money: The Shocking Deep
One Year After George Floyd
Death, a Mix of Views
May 25, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
One Year After George Floyd Death, a Mix of Views
'I think the verdict is still out on that,' says one observer of the prospects of real change
- Tuesday is the one-year anniversary of the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis, and as part of the observances, members of Floyd's family will visit President Biden at the White House, reports CNN . Others are weighing in on the changes over the past year....
DOJ Announces a
2nd Major Policing Probe
Apr 26, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
DOJ Announces a 2nd Major Policing Probe
Feds are investigating policing in Louisville in the wake of Breonna Taylor's death
- The Justice Department is opening a sweeping probe into policing in Louisville, Kentucky, after the March 2020 death of Breonna Taylor, who was shot to death by police during a raid at her home. It's the second such sweeping probe into a law enforcement agency announced by the Biden...
Simon and Schuster Reverses
Course on Breonna Taylor Book
Apr 16, 2021 12:46 AM CDT
Simon and Schuster Reverses Course on Breonna Taylor Book
Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly's book deal is still on, though
- One of the police officers involved in the fatal Breonna Taylor raid has a book deal in which he promises to tell "the inside story" behind the tragedy, though it's now unclear how the book will be distributed.
e Fight for Truth
by Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, the officer...
May Become a
Crime in Kentucky
Mar 13, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Taunting Police May Become a Crime in Kentucky
The measure comes on the heels of protests over the killing of Breonna Taylor
- It could become a crime to taunt a police officer in Kentucky, under a bill that passed the state Senate on Thursday, the AP reports. The measure was filed months after Louisville, the state's largest city, became the site of huge protests in the wake of the police killing...
Mar 9, 2021 12:10 AM CST
Breonna Taylor's Boyfriend Gets Good News
Judge dismisses the case against Kenneth Walker, permanently
- The case against Breonna Taylor's boyfriend has been dismissed by a judge—permanently. Charges cannot be refiled against Kenneth Walker, who was initially charged with shooting and wounding a Louisville police officer during the incident at Taylor's apartment last year that started with a no-knock warrant and ended...
Kentucky Attorney General
Jan 23, 2021 12:40 PM CST
Kentucky Attorney General Faces Impeachment
Grand jurors say Daniel Cameron misled public about the Breonna Taylor case
- Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron is facing an impeachment petition that claims he misled the public about the Breonna Taylor case , the
Louisville Courier Journal
reports. Among the citizens that signed the petition filed with the state House of Representatives on Friday were three members of the grand jury in...
Cop Fired in
Case Appeals to
Get Job Back
Jan 6, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Cop Fired in Breonna Taylor Case Appeals to Get Job Back
Ex-detective Myles Cosgrove is pleading his case before the Louisville PD's Merit Board
The former cop said to have fired the shot that killed Breonna Taylor was terminated earlier this year by the Louisville Metro Police Department for violating use-of-force protocol and for not using his bodycam. Now, ex-detective Myles Cosgrove is vying to get his job back, lodging an appeal to...
More Bad News for
Breonna Taylor Bust
Dec 30, 2020 7:47 AM CST
More Bad News for Breonna Taylor Bust
Artist Leo Carson believes it was stolen
- First a bust of Breonna Taylor was vandalized in Oakland, Calif. Now it’s disappeared altogether. Oakland Police are investigating reports that the ceramic bust of a smiling Taylor was stolen from Latham Square on Tuesday, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle
. Days earlier, the bust had been smashed, leaving a...
Police Department Makes Move
in Breonna Taylor Shooting
Dec 30, 2020 2:40 AM CST
Police Department Makes Move in Breonna Taylor Shooting
Pre-termination letters sent to 2 Louisville police officers
- Louisville police have taken steps that could result in the firing of two officers connected to Breonna Taylor's death—the one who sought the no-knock search warrant that led detectives to her apartment and another found to have opened fire, the AP reports. Detective Joshua Jaynes, who was not...
Breonna Taylor Bust
Lasts 2 Weeks
Dec 29, 2020 6:27 AM CST
Breonna Taylor Bust Lasts 2 Weeks
Artist Leo Carson says he'll rebuild in bronze after statue vandalized
- A bust of Breonna Taylor has been found smashed in Oakland, Calif., a mere two weeks after its installation. The artist who created the ceramic bust, placed over a plaque reading, "Say her name: Breonna Taylor," said it was "a racist attack on the Black Lives Matter...
Dec 17, 2020 6:10 PM CST
Breonna Taylor's Mother Reminds Biden
Tamika Palmer took out a full-page ad to address the president-elect
- Breonna Taylor's mother took out a full-page ad in the
to send President-elect Joe Biden a message. "We need your actions to show that you are different than those who pay lip service to our losses while doing nothing to show that our loved ones' lives...
More Problems for Cop
Indicted in Breonna Taylor Case
Nov 11, 2020 10:35 AM CST
More Problems for Cop Indicted in Breonna Taylor Case
10 women accuse Brett Hankison of sexual misconduct in lawsuit
- The lone police officer charged in the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor now faces allegations of sexual assault and battery. A lawsuit filed Tuesday describes former Louisville Metro Police Department Detective Brett Hankison as a "sexual predator" who "used his police uniform and secondary nightclub employment as mechanisms...
Cop in Breonna Taylor
Shooting Sues Her Boyfriend
Oct 30, 2020 9:42 AM CDT
Cop in Breonna Taylor Shooting Sues Her Boyfriend
Officer shot during botched raid wants damages for 'emotional distress'
- On March 13, Louisville police officers killed Kenneth Walker's girlfriend. Now, one of them is taking him to court. Walker is being sued by Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, who was shot in the thigh after police broke down Breonna Taylor's door, CBS News reports. Walker said police—who had...
Grand Jurors in
Breonna Taylor Case:
Here's Our Side
Oct 21, 2020 2:46 AM CDT
Grand Jurors in Breonna Taylor Case: Here's Our Side
Two of them speak out, say they 'didn't agree certain actions were justified'
- Grand jurors in the Breonna Taylor case are telling their side of the story. After a Kentucky judge ruled Tuesday that jurors could come forward to talk about the proceedings publicly, a lawyer representing two of the jurors, who are so far remaining anonymous, released a statement, ABC News reports....
Oct 7, 2020 2:02 AM CDT
Kentucky AG on Megan Thee Stallion Slam: 'Disgusting'
Daniel Cameron minces no words when it comes to rapper's 'SNL' performance
- Megan Thee Stallion performed on the season premiere of
Saturday Night Live
, and she did not hold back when it came to her thoughts on Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron: She played an audio clip of an activist saying Cameron, whose office is overseeing the Breonna Taylor case, is "...
What the Breonna Taylor
Grand Jury Recordings Reveal
Oct 3, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
What the Breonna Taylor Grand Jury Recordings Reveal
Witness testimony focused on a 'core disagreement': whether cops announced themselves
- A Kentucky court on Friday released about 20 hours of recordings from the Breonna Taylor grand jury proceedings, and now that audio is available to all. Daniel Cameron, the state's attorney general, says he hopes the public will be able to see, via the witness testimony in the recordings,...
Grand Jury Audio Is Out
Oct 2, 2020 12:04 PM CDT
Breonna Taylor Grand Jury Audio Is Out
But a few minutes have been redacted
- Courts don't usually release grand jury recordings—but the Breonna Taylor killing isn't your usual case. On a judge's say-so, a Kentucky court released about 20 hours of recordings Friday from the controversial grand-jury sessions, the
reports. The audio files, which don't include a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
National Archives Fact-Checks Trump on Obama Documents
Activists Fill Golf Holes With Cement
NYT : Trump Lawyer's June Declaration a Factor in Search
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.