Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Smash and Grab Turns
Deadly for Former Officer
Nov 28, 2021 5:45 AM CST
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
Ex-cop Kevin Nishita was protecting a TV news crew covering the break-in
- A security guard has died after he was shot while he protected a San Francisco Bay Area television news crew covering a smash-and-grab theft, part of a rash of organized retail crime in the region, per the AP . Kevin Nishita, a former police officer in several Bay Area communities including...
He Died Chasing
Men Who Stole
Now, a Verdict
Nov 11, 2021 9:25 AM CST
He Died Chasing Men Who Stole His Laptop. Now, a Verdict
2 convicted on murder, manslaughter charges after 2019 Starbucks robbery led to death of Shuo Zeng
Two men have been convicted in a 2019 laptop robbery at a Bay Area Starbucks that left a research engineer dead. The
reports a jury on Wednesday found 24-year-old Byron Reed guilty of second-degree murder, and 20-year-old Kejuan Wiggins guilty of voluntary manslaughter, in the Dec. 31,...
2 Dead After Shooters Fire
70 Rounds Into Party Bus
May 19, 2021 9:09 AM CDT
2 Dead After Shooters Fire 70 Rounds Into Party Bus
Witness describes bullet holes the size of golf balls
- Multiple shooters fired an estimated 70 rounds into a party bus carrying a dozen women for a 21st birthday celebration in Oakland, Calif., early Tuesday, leaving two dead and five wounded. Sixteen-year-old Zoey Hughes of Modesto and 19-year-old Alayasia Thurston from Stockton were killed in the shooting, which began on...
Man Guilty in Fire That
Killed 36 Won't Go Back to Jail
Mar 9, 2021 5:58 PM CST
Man Guilty in Fire That Killed 36 Won't Go Back to Jail
Derick Almena will serve sentence at home
- Derick Almena, the master tenant of a San Francisco Bay Area warehouse that caught fire during a music event , killing 36 people, was sentenced Monday to 12 years in prison, although he is unlikely to spend more time in jail. Already on house arrest after being released from jail last...
Hundreds Offer to Walk
With Older Asian Americans
Feb 15, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Hundreds Offer to Walk With Older Asian Americans
Bay Area effort was launched after recent, unprovoked attacks
- When an Oakland man saw two attacks on older Asian Americans in the area in less than an hour, he decided to do something. He posted an offer to walk with anyone in Oakland's Chinatown who didn't feel safe. In days, 300 people had signed up to help...
Oakland Police Arrest Suspect
in Attack on Elderly Asian Man
Feb 10, 2021 3:22 AM CST
Oakland Police Arrest Suspect in Attack on Elderly Asian Man
It's just the latest in a series of unprovoked attacks on Asian-Americans
- Surveillance video last month captured a very disturbing incident in Oakland, California's Chinatown, where a man walking down the sidewalk came up behind an elderly Asian man and pushed him over, violently and unprovoked. (Watch the video here , but note that it is disturbing.) Now, a suspect has...
More Bad News for
Breonna Taylor Bust
Dec 30, 2020 7:47 AM CST
More Bad News for Breonna Taylor Bust
Artist Leo Carson believes it was stolen
- First a bust of Breonna Taylor was vandalized in Oakland, Calif. Now it’s disappeared altogether. Oakland Police are investigating reports that the ceramic bust of a smiling Taylor was stolen from Latham Square on Tuesday, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle
. Days earlier, the bust had been smashed, leaving a...
Breonna Taylor Bust
Lasts 2 Weeks
Dec 29, 2020 6:27 AM CST
Breonna Taylor Bust Lasts 2 Weeks
Artist Leo Carson says he'll rebuild in bronze after statue vandalized
- A bust of Breonna Taylor has been found smashed in Oakland, Calif., a mere two weeks after its installation. The artist who created the ceramic bust, placed over a plaque reading, "Say her name: Breonna Taylor," said it was "a racist attack on the Black Lives Matter...
This Is the Worst
US City to Drive In
Sep 1, 2020 9:19 AM CDT
This Is the Worst US City to Drive In
Oakland is no smooth ride, but you'll be cruising right along in Lincoln, Neb.
- While more of us are telecommuting during the pandemic, WalletHub notes that many prefer to drive rather than take public transportation in the COVID-19 era, so it looked at the 100 largest cities in the country to see where driving is the best—and the worst. The site examined 31...
Most Gentrified Cities in US
Jul 6, 2020 7:52 AM CDT
Most Gentrified Cities in US
San Francisco-Oakland is new No. 1
- Gentrification is surging in the US, and nowhere moreso than the San Francisco-Oakland area, according to data from the nonprofit National Community Reinvestment Coalition . The group's new report found that more than 31% of the area's census tracts eligible for gentrification were, in fact, gentrifying, per
Prof to Student: Your Name
'Sounds Like an Insult'
Jun 20, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Prof to Student: Your Name 'Sounds Like an Insult'
Matthew Hubbard is on administrative leave at Oakland's Laney College
- An Oakland professor is on administrative leave after urging a student to "anglicize" her name—which he said "sounds like an insult in English." Matthew Hubbard, who teaches math at Laney College, told the Vietnamese student by email to change her name, the
San Francisco Chronicle
Jun 18, 2020 11:32 AM CDT
Park Neighbor: Those Ropes Aren't Nooses
Five ropes in Oakland park investigated as hate crime, but resident says they're for exercise
- Police say five ropes were found Tuesday attached to various trees in a park in Oakland, Calif., and the city's mayor says a hate crime investigation is in the works. NBC Bay Area reports the ropes were tracked down by police after a complaint on social media about a...
The $1.2M Rent?
Aren't Paying It
May 20, 2020 12:42 PM CDT
The $1.2M Rent? Oakland A's Aren't Paying It
Team says it can't use venue due to shelter-in-place order
- The Oakland Athletics have so far refused to pay the $1.2 million annual rent due April 1 for use of its city and county-owned ball park. Henry Gardner, interim head of the Coliseum Authority, tells the
East Bay Times
the Athletics "said because they haven't used [the...
State Department Warns
Americans to Skip Cruises
Mar 9, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
State Department Warns Americans to Skip Cruises
Warning comes as cruise ship will unload passengers in Oakland
- For more than 2,000 passengers aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship, Monday will be a good day. For residents of Oakland worried about the coronavirus, maybe not as good. The ship has been in limbo off the California coast , but authorities have finally given it the green light to...
Bad News for Cruise Ship
Stuck Off Calif. Coast
Mar 8, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Bad News for Cruise Ship Stuck Off Calif. Coast
Looks like the Grand Princess will have to wait at least another day
- A cruise ship hit by the new coronavirus and headed to the port of Oakland, Calif., will remain in international waters for at least another day as officials worked on plans to transport passengers to federal facilities around the country, the AP reports. Local officials in California began ordering the...
10 Most, Least Ethnically
Diverse Cities in America
Feb 15, 2020 9:00 AM CST
10 Most, Least Ethnically Diverse Cities in America
Cities in one state appear 4 times in the top 10
- In 25 years, the United States will be the most "colorful" it's ever been, as WalletHub puts it. That's because by 2045, it's estimated there will be no single ethnic group that can claim the most people in the nation. To find out which US cities...
From Home That
Wasn't Theirs Get
Jan 21, 2020 8:43 AM CST
Moms Booted From Home That Wasn't Theirs Get Good News
Nonprofit land trust to buy Oakland residence from developer, let homeless evicted families back in
- The homeless moms who were booted from a vacant residence in Oakland, Calif., will soon be able to call it home again. The members of activist group Moms 4 Housing had been served an eviction notice by Wedgewood Inc., a developer that specializes in flipping houses, and last week, sheriff'...
Homeless Moms Evicted From
Vacant Home in 'Act of War'
Jan 15, 2020 7:17 AM CST
Homeless Moms Evicted From Vacant Home in 'Act of War'
'This isn't over'
- Four people were arrested Tuesday when Alameda County Sheriff's deputies showed up to evict a group of homeless mothers who'd taken up residence in a vacant home in Oakland, Calif. NBC News and the
report that members of Moms 4 Housing, an activist group trying to...
Idea to House
Dec 11, 2019 4:15 PM CST
City Official's Idea to House Homeless: Cruise Liner
Oakland's city council president says it could house up to 1,000
- A San Francisco Bay Area city official wants to explore the possibility of using a cruise ship to house up to 1,000 homeless people amid a high cost of living and a shortage of housing, the AP reports. Oakland City Council President Rebecca Kaplan told a council meeting Tuesday...
Dramatic Subway Rescue
Captured on Video
Nov 5, 2019 8:13 AM CST
Dramatic Subway Rescue Captured on Video
Man was pulled to safety moments before train hit
- The Bay Area Rapid Transit System is praising "humble hero" John O'Connor for saving a man's life at a station in Oakland on Sunday night. In a dramatic rescue captured on video , the transportation supervisor saved an intoxicated man who had fallen into the path of a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
CNN Fires Chris Cuomo, Citing New Information
Shellshocked Docs Call Bomb Squad for Man With Ordnance in Rectum
School Faces Questions, Possibly Suits Over Shooting
Diabetics' Quest for This 7% Target 'Could Kill Them'
Goalie's Fireworks Death Ruled Accidental
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.