Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Looking to Rent?
Your Best Bet Is Here
Jul 18, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Looking to Rent? Your Best Bet Is Here
Columbia, Md., tops WalletHub's list of best cities for renters
- There are many reasons why people may choose to rent over buying a home—but that doesn't mean renting is always an inexpensive proposition. In fact, WalletHub reports that last year, rental prices rose at nearly double the rate of any previous year. Still, there are places in the...
Tribute to Dead
Mom Goes Viral:
'This Obit, My God'
Dec 17, 2021 7:15 AM CST
Tribute to Dead Mom Goes Viral: 'This Obit, My God'
Snarky memorial for 'gregarious grifter' appears on NC newspaper's site
- Renay Mandel Corren may be gone, but her legacy lives on—and has gone viral, thanks to what the
calls an "unusual" yet "loving" obituary penned by her son. The 1,000-word memorial to the 84-year-old, who died in El Paso, Texas, appeared on the website of...
Art Installation Up for Just
Minutes Wins Design Prize
Jan 19, 2021 11:43 AM CST
Art Installation Up for Just Minutes Wins Design Prize
Border seesaws 'reminder of how human beings can transcend the forces that seek to divide us'
- The best design of 2020 was in place for less than 20 minutes, reports CNN , which shows just how impactful it was. "Teeter-Totter Wall," erected on the border fence separating El Paso, Texas, and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, has been named the best design of the year by London'...
Wanted: Morgue Workers
Nov 20, 2020 5:20 PM CST
Wanted: Morgue Workers
El Paso County has been using jail inmates to move bodies
- "Not only is this assignment physically taxing, but it may be emotionally taxing as well," the job announcement warns. The job is in El Paso County's morgues. The area, and its morgue, are overwhelmed by coronavirus cases, NPR reports. Postings have gone up for temporary jobs as...
El Paso Under Curfew
Order for 2 Weeks
Oct 26, 2020 6:10 PM CDT
El Paso Under Curfew Order for 2 Weeks
Hospitals 'stretched to the limit'
- With hospitals—and funeral homes—running out of room and coronavirus case numbers setting new records, the 840,000 people of El Paso County, Texas, are now under a curfew. Under a two-week curfew order issued by El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego Sunday evening, residents are required to remain...
Pregnant Teen Dies
Trying to Climb Border Wall
Mar 13, 2020 5:13 AM CDT
Pregnant Teen Dies Trying to Climb Border Wall
Smugglers left Guatemalan couple at wall
- A 19-year-old pregnant woman from Guatemala died this week from injuries suffered when she fell trying to climb the US border wall near El Paso, Texas, US and Guatemalan authorities said Thursday. Guatemala identified the woman as Mirian Stephany Girón Luna. Medical personnel tried to deliver her baby but...
Hero of Walmart Shooting
Was Homeless: Cops
Jan 29, 2020 9:22 AM CST
Hero of Walmart Shooting Was Homeless: Cops
El Paso police finally identify transient day laborer Lazaro Ponce as man who rescued infant
- El Paso police say they've finally identified a hero of the mass shooting that killed 22 people at a Walmart on Aug. 3. Surveillance footage captured a man running out of the store carrying an infant whose parents had been fatally shot . A second video showed the man approaching...
Cops: El Paso Shooting
'Hero' Made Up His Story
Sep 12, 2019 3:09 AM CDT
Cops: El Paso Shooting 'Hero' Made Up His Story
Chris Grant was honored by President Trump Monday
- For many people, the day they visited the White House to be honored for heroic actions would be one to remember with pride. It didn't work out that way for El Paso mass shooting survivor Christopher Grant. The 50-year-old was arrested by Secret Service agents when he arrived with...
Alleged El Paso Shooter
Now on Suicide Watch
Aug 20, 2019 1:21 AM CDT
Alleged El Paso Shooter Now on Suicide Watch
El Paso suspect is accused of killing 22
- Jail officials do not want alleged El Paso mass shooter Patrick Crusius to become the next Jeffrey Epstein. An El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesperson tells KVIA that the 21-year-old is now on suicide watch at the El Paso County Detention Facility, where he was already segregated from the...
Hundreds Came for
His Wife's Funeral. Then
One Came for His Car
Aug 19, 2019 3:24 AM CDT
Hundreds Came for His Wife's Funeral. Then One Came for His Car
Antonio Basco's SUV was stolen and wrecked a day after he buried wife killed in El Paso shooting
- Antonio Basco, whose wife was killed in the El Paso mass shooting, may have had some of his faith in humanity restored when hundreds of strangers turned up for her funeral . The next day, however, his SUV was stolen and wrecked, ABC7 reports. "WTF is wrong with people,"...
He Invited Strangers to His
Wife's Funeral. Hundreds Came
Aug 17, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
He Invited Strangers to His Wife's Funeral. Hundreds Came
Mourners joined Antonio Basco in paying respects to wife Margie Reckard, killed in El Paso shooting
- He invited them, and they came. Antonio Basco, whose wife, 63-year-old Margie Reckard, was killed in the mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, on Aug. 3, didn't have family of his own in the El Paso area and was worried not many people would show at her funeral, so...
No Family Left
After Wife Killed
in El Paso, Man
Issues an Invite
Aug 14, 2019 7:57 AM CDT
No Family Left After Wife Killed in El Paso, Man Issues an Invite
Antonio Basco has invited the general public to Friday funeral for Margie Reckard, 63
- Antonio Basco lost his "angel" in the El Paso mass shooting , and now he's inviting the public to her funeral. Basco's wife, Margie Reckard, 63, was one of the 22 victims fatally shot in a Walmart earlier this month, and because Basco has no remaining family now...
Police Identify Armed Man
Arrested at Walmart
Aug 9, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Police Identify Armed Man Arrested at Walmart
It's still not clear what charges Dmitriy Andreychenko will face
- We now know the identity of the man who set off a scare at a Missouri Walmart by walking in with a tactical rifle. But little else—including his motive and any possible charges—remain unclear. On Friday, police identified the man as 20-year-old Dmitriy Andreychenko, reports the AP . He...
Heavily Armed Man
Arrested at Missouri Walmart
Aug 9, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Heavily Armed Man Arrested at Missouri Walmart
Police in Springfield trying to figure out his intent
- Less than a week after the massacre at a Walmart in El Paso , a heavily armed man caused quite a scare at a Walmart in Missouri. This time, no shots were fired. Police in Springfield arrested an unidentified 20-year-old man who strode into the store about 4pm Thursday wearing a...
El Paso Shooting,
Aug 8, 2019 6:24 AM CDT
Weeks Before El Paso Shooting, Suspect's Mom Called Cops
She said she was worried about her son's new rifle
- The mother of the man accused of killing 22 people in an El Paso Walmart called police weeks before the mass shooting because she was worried about his new gun, but they told her there wasn't a lot they could do, lawyers for the family say. Attorneys Chris Ayres...
Trump to Face Protests
in El Paso, Dayton
Aug 7, 2019 5:16 AM CDT
Trump to Face Protests in El Paso, Dayton
He plans to meet with first responders, shooting victims
- President Trump says he is going to visit Dayton and El Paso on Wednesday "to meet with First Responders, Law Enforcement, and some of the victims of the terrible shootings"—but protesters in both cities say he will not be welcome. Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley, a Democrat, said...
Boy, 11, Has a
Challenge for El Paso
Aug 6, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Boy, 11, Has a Challenge for El Paso
'We can make the world a better place,' says 11-year-old Ruben Martinez
- An 11-year-old is helping El Paso heal by inspiring random acts of kindness. Ruben Martinez told his mother he no longer wanted to visit stores following Saturday's mass shooting inside a Walmart. "I explained to him that we could not live in fear and that people in our...
Parents Died Shielding
Their Baby in El Paso
Aug 5, 2019 12:00 AM CDT
Parents Died Shielding Their Baby in El Paso
Victims are being identified as Mexico mulls legal action
- As shots rang out in an El Paso Walmart on Saturday, Jordan Anchondo shielded her 2-month-old son, Paul, and her husband, Andre, shielded his wife and baby. Both parents died, leaving the little boy, a 2-year-old, and a 5-year-old daughter, whom they had just dropped off at cheer practice before...
In El Paso Shooting,
a Soldier Saved Lives
Aug 4, 2019 8:48 AM CDT
In El Paso Shooting, a Soldier Saved Lives
Glendon Oakley Jr. started running kids outside when shooting broke out
- Twenty people died in a hail of bullets Saturday at an El Paso mall, but officials say that the tragedy might have been worse were it not for the efforts of Glendon Oakley Jr., reports the
. The 22-year-old private stationed at Fort Bliss was at a Foot...
20 Dead in Texas Walmart
Shooting; Suspect Arrested
Aug 3, 2019 3:49 PM CDT
20 Dead in Texas Walmart Shooting; Suspect Arrested
Officials are reading a manifesto possibly written by the gunman
- A suspect is in custody after a mass shooting left 20 people dead at a Texas Walmart on Saturday, the
New York Times
reports. Police say a gunman entered the store with an AK-47-style rifle and opened fire just before 11am, injuring 26 others and causing general panic before giving...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.