Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
OK, 'Jack Might Have Lived'
Feb 3, 2023 9:26 AM CST
James Cameron: OK, 'Jack Might Have Lived'
New experiment about 'Titanic' scene suggests so, but director cites a 'lot of variables'
- Director James Cameron has conceded for the first time something that
fans have argued for 25 years: "Jack might have lived." But probably not the way most people think. As
explains, Cameron worked with
on a new special to explore the question. Lots of...
James Cameron to
'Once and for All'
Dec 20, 2022 8:39 AM CST
James Cameron to Settle
Debate 'Once and for All'
Director teases analysis showing both Jack and Rose could not have survived on floating door
- James Cameron may be promoting his new
sequel but he's still fielding questions about the ending of his 25-year-old blockbuster
—questions he hopes to answer "once and for all" with an upcoming special. Asked recently whether he ever regretted letting Leonardo DiCaprio's Jack die, the...
Possible 'Stepping Stone'
Near Titanic Could
Clear Up a Mystery
Nov 8, 2022 2:02 PM CST
Possible 'Stepping Stone' Near Titanic Could Clear Up a Mystery
Rocky reef teeming with life may hold answers on how sponges, corals move across ocean floor
- When submersible pilot and diver PH Nargeolet detected a sonar blip near the famous Titanic shipwreck in the North Atlantic more than a quarter century ago, he suspected it pointed to another shipwreck lying in wait. The thing just looked so big. But he was wrong. "It turned out,...
Wreck of Ship That Tried
to Warn the Titanic Is Found
Sep 29, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
Wreck of Ship That Tried to Warn the Titanic Is Found
SS Mesaba was hit by a German torpedo in the Irish Sea years later
- The Titanic has long slumbered on the seabed—as has the ship that sent the Titanic an iceberg warning hours before the Titanic fatefully hit that very thing in 1912. Now, researchers have identified the resting spot of the SS Mesaba, which was hit by a German torpedo in the...
Look at Titanic
Sep 6, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Footage Offers 'Unprecedented' Look at Titanic
First 8K video of shipwreck emerges; meanwhile, tourists are heading down to see it for $250K a pop
- An underwater tourism company has emerged with new footage of the wreckage of the RMS Titanic, and it's jaw-dropping in its clarity—the highest-quality recording of the ship since it sank during its 1912 maiden voyage. The haunting one-minute clip released to the public by OceanGate Expeditions, which has...
The Iceberg That Sank the
Titanic Was Oddly Persistent
Aug 27, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
The Iceberg That Sank the Titanic Was Oddly Persistent
It lasted far longer than most icebergs survive
- It could be argued that the Titanic was the most incredible ship to ever sink. The same adjective could be applied to the iceberg that sank it. Writing for
, Daniel Stone dives into what was unusual about this particular iceberg, which cleaved itself from Greenland in 1909. "This...
He Lived Out
What Came Next Wasn't Easier
Apr 18, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
He Lived Out
Scene. What Came Next Wasn't Easier
Documentary tells of discrimination against Chinese survivors including Fang Lang
- You'll recall that famous scene in
when Leonardo DiCaprio's Jack, clinging to a wooden door in the frigid ocean, lets go. His companion, Kate Winslet's Rose, eventually gets the attention of rescuers in the lone lifeboat that had returned to the scene to search for survivors....
Feds Sued Over Titanic Plan.
It's COVID That Could Stop It
Jan 13, 2021 8:53 AM CST
Feds Sued Over Titanic Plan. It's COVID That Could Stop It
RMS Titanic Inc. planned to retrieve the ship's radio, says it has money issues
- Fallout from the coronavirus pandemic is threatening a company’s controversial plans to retrieve and exhibit the radio that had broadcast distress calls from the sinking Titanic, according to a court filing made by the firm. RMS Titanic Inc. said Monday that its revenues plummeted after coronavirus restrictions closed its...
$125K Will Now
Get You to the Titanic
Nov 6, 2020 9:45 AM CST
$125K Will Now Get You to the Titanic
Expeditions open to tourists to launch in May
- A few dozen wealthy and adventurous tourists will be among the first in 15 years to set eyes on the world's most famous shipwreck. OceanGate Expeditions will be ferrying tourists to the wreck of the Titanic annually between May and September beginning next year—at a cost. For $125,...
Light May Have
Sep 26, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
A 'Greenish' Light May Have Sunk the
Weather researcher Mila Zinkova points to 'dancing lights' in the sky
- The RMS
sank after hitting an iceberg in 1912, claiming over 1,500 lives—that we know. But what if the ill-fated collision was caused by dancing lights in the sky? So argues
researcher Mila Zinkova in a new paper , the Smithsonian reports. "Most people who write...
US Sues Over Titanic's Radio
Jun 10, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
US Sues Over Titanic's Radio
Feds file lawsuit to block salvage operation
- The US government will try to stop a company's planned salvage mission to retrieve the Titanic's Marconi wireless telegraph machine, arguing the expedition would break federal law and a pact with Britain to leave the iconic shipwreck undisturbed. US attorneys filed a legal challenge before a federal judge...
Contentious Ruling: Item
Can Be Taken From Titanic
May 19, 2020 12:34 PM CDT
Contentious Ruling: Item Can Be Taken From Titanic
RMS Titanic Inc. get approval to remove the ship's telegraph
- A federal judge in Virginia has ruled that a salvage firm can retrieve the Marconi wireless telegraph machine that broadcast distress calls from the sinking Titanic ocean liner. In an order released Monday, US District Judge Rebecca Beach Smith agreed that the telegraph is historically and culturally important and could...
Firm: Let Us Retrieve Titanic's
'Voice' Before It's Too Late
Feb 21, 2020 10:55 AM CST
Firm: Let Us Retrieve Titanic's 'Voice' Before It's Too Late
RMS Titanic wants to pull out the Marconi Wireless Telegraph machine that sent out distress signals
- The salvage firm that has plucked silverware, china, and gold coins from the wreckage of the Titanic now wants to recover the Marconi Wireless Telegraph machine that transmitted the doomed ship's increasingly frantic distress calls. Lawyers for RMS Titanic Inc. called witnesses before a federal judge on Thursday to...
at the Titanic,
Jan 31, 2020 9:21 AM CST
After Accident at the Titanic, Accusations Fly
A submersible hit the wreckage over the summer
- The wreck of the Titanic rests untouched—mostly. It turns out a two-person submersible vehicle collided with the sunken ship months ago, and the US salvage company that has rights to the wreck is alleging the government stayed mum on it, per legal papers seen by the
. The hit...
US and UK
Jan 22, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Titanic Divers Now Must Go Through US and UK
Despite new treaty, Atlanta company wants to remove the ship's wireless transmitter
- For the first time in the nearly 108 years the Titanic has sat at the bottom of the North Atlantic, an international agreement with broad protections will safeguard the steamship's remains. The US and UK will have to approve any expeditions to enter the Titanic or remove any artifacts,...
Dive Finds Titanic
Pieces Are Now Gone
Aug 21, 2019 4:50 PM CDT
Dive Finds Titanic Pieces Are Now Gone
Victims of decay include the captain's bathtub
- Parts of the Titanic that have remained intact for 100 years are decaying quickly, the latest dive has found. The starboard side of the officers' quarters is showing the most deterioration, the BBC reports. "The captain's bathtub is a favorite image among Titanic enthusiasts—and that's now...
Man Who Found the Titanic
Now on Track of a New Mystery
Jul 24, 2019 4:33 AM CDT
Man Who Found the Titanic Now on Track of a New Mystery
Robert Ballard will search near Nikumaroro
- One of the world's greatest undersea explorers is gearing up to tackle one of the world's most enduring mysteries. Robert Ballard, the University of Rhode Island professor of oceanography best known for finding the wreck of the Titanic in 1985, is planning to search for signs of Amelia...
Cane Saved Lives
on the Titanic
Jul 17, 2019 7:56 AM CDT
This Light-Up Cane Saved Lives on the Titanic
Ella White's walking stick expected to fetch $500K at auction
- An incredible artifact that helped guide 26 Titanic survivors to safety could be yours, if you have half a million dollars to burn. After injuring an ankle while boarding the ship, per
, first-class passenger Ella White acquired an impressive, modern cane with a bakelite head that—just 33 years...
Titanic II Will Sail
Same Route as Original
Oct 23, 2018 3:33 AM CDT
Titanic II Will Sail Same Route as Original
Replica will make maiden voyage in 2022
- The makers of the Titanic II aren't boasting about it being "unsinkable"—but they do promise it will have much better iceberg-detection technology than the original, along with plenty of lifeboats. Blue Star Line Cruises says the replica ship, which was delayed for years by a financial...
Titanic Was Discovered
During a Top-Secret Mission
Jun 2, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Titanic Was Discovered During a Top-Secret Mission
Navy commander Robert Ballard found the ship near two sunken subs
- The story of how the Titanic was found is widely known, but some of the most interesting details are only now emerging, reports
. A new exhibit at the National Geographic Museum in Washington, DC, reveals the once top-secret story. "The Navy is finally discussing it," Robert...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
2 Arrested After Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including Infant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.