Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Future Hurricanes Could
Form Where We Don't Expect
Jan 4, 2022 1:24 PM CST
Future Hurricanes Could Form Where We Don't Expect
Climate change could move formation of tropical cyclones into the mid-latitudes
- Climate change won't just make hurricanes more intense, it'll expand where they occur in an unprecedented fashion, or so says a new study published in
. "This research predicts that the 21st century's tropical cyclones," meaning hurricanes and typhoons, "will likely occur over...
Slams Into Texas
Sep 14, 2021 1:34 AM CDT
Hurricane Nicholas Slams Into Texas
Up to 20 inches of rain could hit parts of Gulf Coast
- Hurricane Nicholas made landfall along the Texas coast on Tuesday, bringing the threat of up to 20 inches of rainfall to parts of the Gulf Coast, including the same area hit by Hurricane Harvey in 2017 and storm-battered Louisiana. Nicholas touched down on the eastern part of the Matagorda Peninsula,...
Off Texas Coast
Sep 13, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Tropical Storm Gains Strength Off Texas Coast
Nicholas could hit state as hurricane
- Tropical Storm Nicholas gathered strength Monday and threatened to blow ashore in Texas as a hurricane that could bring up to 20 inches of rain to parts of the Gulf Coast, including the same area hit by Hurricane Harvey in 2017 and storm-battered Louisiana. Nearly all of the state’s...
Big Test in New Orleans
Aug 30, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Levees Passed Big Test in New Orleans
But residents elsewhere had to be rescued from rising floodwaters
- The damage done by Hurricane Ida is still being assessed—but levees and other flood protection measures strengthened in New Orleans since Katrina hit 16 years ago appear to have passed the test. The Flood Protection Authority said that as of Monday morning, water had not "overtopped" any of...
of Ida's Damage
Aug 30, 2021 1:56 PM CDT
Images Emerge of Ida's Damage
Hurricane 'came in and did everything that was advertised, unfortunately'
- Hurricane Ida "came in and did everything that was advertised, unfortunately," Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said Monday as images of damage caused by one of the most powerful hurricanes ever to hit the US mainland emerged. Rescuers set out in hundreds of boats and helicopters to reach...
Aug 30, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
Al Roker Defends His Hurricane Coverage
Viewers say 67-year-old is too old to be out in such storms, and he responds, 'try to keep up'
- One of the reporters out in the storm as Ida pummeled Louisiana on Sunday was 67-year-old weatherman Al Roker. As Mashable notes, social media clips of Roker, including one from NBC all but boasting that he was being "pummeled by waves" as the storm bore down on New Orleans,...
All of New Orleans Loses
Power as Ida Rolls Through
Aug 30, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
All of New Orleans Loses Power as Ida Rolls Through
Power is out as hurricane is downgraded to a tropical storm
- The entire city of New Orleans was without power Monday morning thanks to Hurricane Ida. The weather system is now over Mississippi, having been downgraded to a tropical storm 16 hours after making landfall in Louisiana, reports the AP . Despite the downgrade, storm surges, winds, and heavy rain pose a...
for a Major
Aug 27, 2021 2:21 PM CDT
New Orleans Prepares for a Major Hurricane
Ida makes landfall in Cuba and is forecast to reach Louisiana on Sunday
- Now a hurricane, Ida made landfall in Cuba on Friday and was on track to cross the Gulf and hit Louisiana hard Sunday as a Category 3 storm. "The forecast track has it headed straight towards New Orleans. Not good," said a senior scientist with the Climate Service,...
'Ida Certainly Has the
Potential to Be Very Bad'
Aug 27, 2021 12:20 AM CDT
'Ida Certainly Has the Potential to Be Very Bad'
Louisiana declares emergency as tropical storm approaches
- Tropical Storm Ida prompted a hurricane watch for New Orleans and an emergency declaration for the state of Louisiana as it pushed across the Caribbean toward an anticipated strike on Cuba Friday. Ida could be near major hurricane strength by the time it reaches the northern Gulf Coast, which forecasters...
Henri Makes Landfall
in Rhode Island
Aug 22, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Henri Makes Landfall in Rhode Island
Heavy rain has begun in Northeast, and storm's winds are reaching 70mph
- Now a tropical storm, Henri hit the coast of Rhode Island on Sunday afternoon, with high winds that knocked out power to thousands of homes and rain that has brought flash flooding to the Northeast. Even as a tropical storm, Henri had wind gusts up to 70mph, the AP reports,...
Millions Warned That Henri
Is Officially a Hurricane
Aug 21, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Millions Warned That Henri Is Officially a Hurricane
The storm could weaken before making landfall Sunday
- Henri is a hurricane now, upgraded from tropical storm Saturday morning. The National Hurricane Center had already warned that the storm could increase in intensity and hit New England. The storm’s sustained winds now exceed 74mph and it could ramp up even more, though “some weakening is expected...
New England Prepares
for Hurricane's Direct Hit
Aug 20, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
New England Prepares for Hurricane's Direct Hit
Henri is a tropical storm now but could gain strength over the weekend
- In a time of rare weather events, New England is preparing for another one: a hurricane. On Friday, the National Hurricane Center issued a hurricane watch for much of New England, saying Tropical Storm Henri probably will become a hurricane and hit the Northeast coast over the weekend, NPR reports....
Tropical Storm to Quickly
Follow Haiti Earthquake
Aug 15, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Tropical Storm to Quickly Follow Haiti Earthquake
Grace likely to hit devastated island
- Even as rescuers and loved ones still search rubble for signs of life, Haitians are bracing for another disaster that could pile onto a death count that's already surpassed 300 in the aftermath of Saturday's earthquake . Per NBC News , Tropical Storm Grace looks likely to batter the ailing...
Elsa Could Hit
Florida as a Hurricane
Jul 6, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Elsa Could Hit Florida as a Hurricane
NHC says storm surge could hit Tampa area
- The National Hurricane Center says Tropical Storm Elsa is strengthening and could became a hurricane before making landfall along Florida’s Gulf coast early Wednesday. In addition to damaging winds and heavy rains, the the National Hurricane Center warned of life-threatening storm surges, flooding, and isolated tornadoes. A hurricane warning...
Storm Warning Extended
as Elsa Nears Florida
Jul 5, 2021 1:44 PM CDT
Storm Warning Extended as Elsa Nears Florida
Storm expected to hit state's Gulf Coast
- Florida's Gulf Coast has been placed under a tropical storm warning, with forecasters warning that Tropical Storm Elsa is expected to impact the Florida Keys late Monday and move across or near the coast Tuesday and Wednesday. The warning has been extended as far north as the Tampa Bay...
First Hurricane of the Season
Has Already Broken a Record
Jul 2, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
First Hurricane of the Season Has Already Broken a Record
Elsa is earliest E-named Atlantic storm
- Florida may soon feel the wrath of Elsa—and it's going to be windy, not icy. Hurricane Elsa, which was preceded by Tropical Storms Ana, Bill, Claudette, and Danny, is the first hurricane of the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season and the earliest E-named storm on record, reports AccuWeather . The...
Biden Doubles Budget
for Extreme Weather Planning
May 24, 2021 4:28 PM CDT
Biden Doubles Budget for Extreme Weather Planning
FEMA funds community preparations before disasters hit
- With wildfires, floods and other weather-related disasters steadily worsening, President Biden doubled the budget for communities trying to mitigate the destruction through preparation. The added $500 million will make for a total of $1 billion in a Federal Emergency Management Agency program that distributes money to do things like move...
Greek Letters Will No Longer
Be Used for Hurricanes
Mar 18, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Greek Letters Will No Longer Be Used for Hurricanes
WMO says they were too confusing in 2020
- The World Meteorological Association's Hurricane Committee meets every year to decide what hurricane names should be retired. This year, they retired an entire alphabet. The WMO decided that the use of Greek letters was too much of a distraction from the impact of the hurricanes themselves, the Verge reports....
On the Heels of One Category 4
Storm, Another Rages in
Nov 17, 2020 5:39 AM CST
On the Heels of One Category 4 Storm, Another Rages in
Iota runs aground in Nicaragua 15 miles away from where Eta made landfall on Nov. 3
- In a one-two punch, Hurricane Iota roared ashore as a dangerous Category 4 storm along almost exactly the same stretch of Nicaragua's Caribbean coast that was devastated by an equally powerful Hurricane Eta 13 days earlier, the AP reports. Iota had intensified into an extremely dangerous Category 5 storm...
30th Storm Is Strongest Yet
Nov 16, 2020 12:27 PM CST
Hurricane Season's 30th Storm Is Strongest Yet
Iota expected to bring catastrophic damage to Central America
- Hurricane Iota rapidly strengthened Monday into a Category 5 storm that is likely to bring catastrophic damage to the same part of Central America already battered by a powerful Hurricane Eta less than two weeks ago. Iota has intensified over the western Caribbean on approach to Nicaragua and Honduras, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.