Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Wore a 'Z' After
Medaling. Now, a Ban
May 18, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
He Wore a 'Z' After Medaling. Now, a Ban
Russian gymnast Ivan Kuliak sported letter, symbol of Russian invasion, while next to Ukrainian
- The letter "Z," a letter proudly tied by the Russians to their invasion of Ukraine, has been spotted everywhere from military tanks to warmongering politicians. One of the country's gymnasts, however, is now paying the price for defiantly wearing his own version of it after medaling in...
Simone Biles Embarks
on 'Career Pivot'
Oct 21, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Simone Biles Embarks on 'Career Pivot'
Gymnast partners with mental health company
- "I'm still scared to do gymnastics." Simone Biles says the anxiety that forced her to withdraw from competition at the Olympics has not retreated. On the
show Thursday, the gymnast said she's OK doing floor exercises, but she still can't manage to do anything...
After Days in the Stands, Biles
Makes the 'Impossible Possible'
Aug 3, 2021 6:21 AM CDT
After Days in the Stands, Biles Makes the 'Impossible Possible'
Gymnast wins a bronze medal, after she'd earlier pulled out of team competition, 4 individual events
- It's been a difficult week for Simone Biles, who pulled out of multiple events at the Summer Olympics to deal with mental health issues after a bout with the "twisties." But the determined gymnast made it back onto the competition floor Tuesday in Tokyo, walking away with...
Looks Like Biles Will Make One
More Olympics Showing
Aug 2, 2021 6:02 AM CDT
Looks Like Biles Will Make One More Olympics Showing
Gymnast set to appear in balance beam finals on Tuesday, though she could still withdraw
- A week after we last saw her compete, Simone Biles will return to the Olympic stage. After pulling out of team competition finals and four individual events— all-around , floor, uneven bars, and vault —to take care of her mental health, saying she was struggling with the "twisties,"...
Out of 2 More
Finals in Tokyo
Jul 31, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Biles Pulls Out of 2 More Finals in Tokyo
No vault or uneven bars for gymnast as she focuses on her mental health
- Simone Biles is opting not to defend her Olympic vault title, pulling out of Sunday's event finals for both vault and uneven bars while she focuses on her mental health. The 24-year-old six-time Olympic medalist removed herself from competition during the team finals on Tuesday and sat out Thursday'...
In Suni Lee's Story
Is the Hmong Story as Well
Jul 30, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
In Suni Lee's Story Is the Hmong Story as Well
Gymnast is the first from her ethnic community to compete for America
- Sunisa "Suni" Lee was going to make history even if she returned from the Tokyo Olympics without a single medal. The 18-year-old is the first Hmong American to compete, and not only did she compete, she is taking home the gold in individual all-around gymnastics. Lee's victory is...
Simone Biles: 'Twisties' Have
Never Hit Me Like This Before
Jul 30, 2021 9:07 AM CDT
Simone Biles: 'Twisties' Have Never Hit Me Like This Before
She says it's the worst case she's ever had
- Simone Biles says she's still dealing with a very bad case of the "twisties"—a disconnect between body and brain known as a "gymnast's worst nightmare" —and it's not clear whether she will compete again in Tokyo. In a series of now-deleted Instagram...
How Simone Biles Feels Now
Jul 29, 2021 11:58 AM CDT
How Simone Biles Feels Now
Star gymnast says outpouring of support shows she's 'more than my accomplishments'
- Simone Biles acknowledged an "outpouring" of love and support Wednesday following her unexpected exit from events at the Tokyo Olympics. Meanwhile, Texas Deputy Attorney General Aaron Reitz is backtracking on his harsh criticism of the 24-year-old gymnast.
In a since-deleted tweet, Reitz shared video of Kerri Strug performing at
Out of Biles'
Shadow, a New
for Team USA
Jul 29, 2021 9:11 AM CDT
Out of Biles' Shadow, a New Gold Medalist for Team USA
18-year-old gymnast Suni Lee of Minnesota takes top honors at women's all-around finals
- Much of the talk of late regarding women's gymnastics at the Summer Olympics has centered on the US' Simone Biles , who dropped out of multiple events to focus on her mental health, but one of her teammates just earned her own big headline. Sunisa Lee, 18, took home the...
Jul 28, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Biles Experienced a Gymnast's 'Worst Nightmare’
Gymnasts speak out on the dangers of the 'twisties'
- In describing the shaky landing of her Tuesday vault routine at the Tokyo Olympics—after which Simone Biles withdrew from the team and all-around individual competitions —the world's most decorated gymnast said she'd had "a little bit of the twisties." Considering she was attempting to...
Jul 28, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Simone Biles Drops Out of All-Around
No decision yet on individual events
- The day after Simone Biles removed herself from the Team USA gymnastics final , USA Gymnastics announced she is also exiting Thursday's all-around competition at the Tokyo Olympics. Jade Carey will take the 24-year-old's place, the AP reports. "After further medical evaluation, Simone Biles has withdrawn from the...
Jul 27, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Simone Biles: It Wasn't a Physical Injury
'I have to focus on my mental health,' says gymnast after exit from team competition
- Simone Biles is shedding some light on the Olympic stunner that saw her exit from team competition on Tuesday. While USA Gymnastics cited a "medical issue," Biles herself clarified that it wasn't a physical injury, reports the
. "I just felt like it would be...
US Falls to Russia After
Simone Biles Pulls Out of Finals
Jul 27, 2021 8:22 AM CDT
US Falls to Russia After Simone Biles Pulls Out of Finals
She left competition 'due to a medical issue'
- The US Women's gymnastics team settled for silver on Tuesday after having to compete without golden girl Simone Biles, who USA Gymnastics confirmed had to exit the competition "due to a medical issue." It continued, "She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future...
Ends Floor Routine
With BLM Tribute
Jul 26, 2021 2:51 AM CDT
Olympic Gymnast Ends Floor Routine With BLM Tribute
Luciana Alvarado of Costa Rica raised fist in the air, knelt
- The first-ever Costa Rican gymnast to qualify for the Olympics used the end of her floor routine Sunday to make a big statement. Luciana Alvarado, 18, took a knee with one arm behind her back and the other raised in the air with a fist, NBC Olympics reports. (Watch the...
First US Athlete Tests
Positive in Japan
Jul 19, 2021 2:11 PM CDT
First US Athlete Tests Positive in Japan
Kara Eaker is an alternate on the women's gymnastics team
- An alternate on the women's gymnastic team has become the first American athlete to test positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Japan for the Olympics. Officials say 18-year-old Kara Eaker has been transferred to a hotel for quarantine, as has Leanne Wong, an alternate who trains with Eaker and...
Lands a First
in Her Return
May 23, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Simone Biles Lands a First in Her Return
Gymnast performs Yurchenko double pike in winning US Classic
- Simone Biles hadn't performed competitively since 2019, so no one knew how she'd do Saturday at the US Classic. She did well. Biles posted the highest scores on the vault, beam and floor, the
reports, in winning the all-around title. But Biles broke ground along the...
Quite a Stir
in case you missed it
Apr 25, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Gymnast's Competition Outfit Causes Quite a Stir
German athlete Sarah Voss wore full bodysuit to take stand against 'sexualization' in the industry
- When the German women's gymnastics team was practicing ahead of the European Artistic Gymnastics Championships held in Basel, Switzerland, this week, the athletes wore full bodysuits for maximum comfort. That's when it hit them, says gymnast Elisabeth Seitz, per the BBC : Why couldn't they wear these outfits...
She Retired From Gymnastics
in 2012. At 32, She's Back
Feb 27, 2021 8:00 AM CST
She Retired From Gymnastics in 2012. At 32, She's Back
Olympian Chellsie Memmel is hoping to make the US national team
- Chellsie Memmel has a world all-around gold medal tucked away somewhere. An Olympic silver medal, too. When she officially retired in 2012, Memmel went out on her own terms. She got married, had two kids, became an integral part of running the gym her family owns in New Berlin, Wisconsin,...
a Bad Chapter,
Biles Is Ready
Feb 15, 2021 4:31 PM CST
After Closing a Bad Chapter, Biles Is Ready to Compete
After the abuses under USA Gymnastics, athlete says this time, 'It's for me'
- Simone Biles has committed to performing in the summer Olympics this year. She's up at 6am for six hours of training, six days a week, for the Games scheduled for July in Tokyo . And she's committed to being even better, though she already has more Olympic and World...
Nia Dennis' 'Masterpiece'
Sparks a Race Discussion
Jan 30, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Nia Dennis' 'Masterpiece' Sparks a Race Discussion
UCLA gymnast goes viral (again) for a floor routine celebrating Black culture
- UCLA gymnast Nia Dennis is making a habit of going viral with her floor routines. In February, she did so with a Beyonce-inspired performance , notes CNN . But she's outdone herself with a new routine celebrating Black culture that has racked up more than 10 million views on Twitter . "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.