If you spent the weekend glued to Rupert Murdoch's newly launched Twitter account (sample tweet about St. Barth's: "too many people") and found glee in the public admonishments wife Wendi Deng tweeted his way (sample: "RUPERT!! delete tweet!!"), some bad news. Her account is, shockingly, a fake (though Twitter marked it as verified.) Let the shock wear off, then read the latest from @wendi_deng, posted about an hour ago: "Hello Twitter. As News International has finally come to their senses, it's time to confirm that yes, this is a fake account. I'm not Wendi."
Among the avalanche of fun from @wendi_deng since:
- "But I'm definitely not married to Rupert Murdoch."
- "The thought terrifies me. Imagine his whispered sweet nothings."
- "And yes, to answer some tweets, of course I'm now in fear of Wendi coming to sort me out with a swift kick."
- "I also never made personal jokes about Wendi Deng. It would have been very easy, for instance, to go on and on about the foam pie incident."
- "Oh, and I'm not Jonny Marbles either. Really. I'm a nobody. Not an aspiring comedy writer. Not anything."
The Hollywood Reporter
notes that News Corp had maintained that the verified account was a fake; a rep directed questions about how that verification came to pass to Twitter. (Read more Wendi Deng