Big-time fan Condoleezza Rice is expected to be one of nine people named to college football's new playoff committee next year, reports USA Today. But that nugget has gotten ESPN analyst David Pollack into some hot water for suggesting that women have no place on the panel, reports Sports Illustrated. His comments:
- “Now I’m going to stick my foot in my mouth, probably. I want people on this committee ... that can watch tape, yes, that have played football, that are around football, that can tell you different teams, on tape, not on paper–”
- When asked whether that meant no women should be on the committee, Pollack responded, “You said that," before eventually adding, "I’ll say it, yeah. Yeah."
- Erin Andrews: "I'm a female, thanks for having me in college football," said a sarcastic Andrews on the air, notes College Spun.
- Reporter Samantha Ponder, via tweet: "Verbally destroying @davidpollack47 on the bus for his comments about Condi. Next, he makes me a sandwich."
- Former ESPN reporter Bonnie Bernstein, via tweet: "Hearing you don't think women should be on CFB Playoff Selection Comm bc they didn't play. You & I should chat..."
- Pollack himself, via tweet: "I want people on the committee that eat, sleep & breathe college football during the season. It has nothing to do with male or female"
(Read more ESPN