The BBC and AP provide the details on a tale of wedding-day craziness in Britain:
- Problem: The day before he was supposed to get married in Liverpool's St. George's Hall, Neil McCardle realized he had forgotten to actually book the place.
- Solution: He sat on this nugget of information until the next day—his wedding day—then phoned in a bomb threat to the venue.
- Success: The ploy, coming less than two weeks after the Boston Marathon bombing, worked like a charm as police evacuated the building. (This resulted in McCardle's would-be bride standing in a street in her wedding dress.)
- Failure: Police traced the call to McCardle that same day, and he confessed and apologized. A judge yesterday sentenced him to a year in jail.
- So true: "If it wasn't so serious, the facts of this case have all the markings of a comedy," said his lawyer in court.
- Love endures: The couple is still together, though apparently still unwed.
(Read more weird crimes