X

Ukraine, Rebels Agree to New Ceasefire

But separatist infighting could pose a problem
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Dec 2, 2014 1:56 AM CST

(Newser) – Ukrainian government troops and Russian-backed separatist forces in the Luhansk region have agreed on a new ceasefire, international monitors said. The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe said that under the agreement, hostilities are to cease Friday along the line of contact between the warring sides. It was agreed at negotiations that took place Saturday that heavy weapons will start being withdrawn from the front over the weekend, the OSCE said in its daily update report last night.

story continues below

Igor Plotnitsky, the head of the rebel movement in Luhansk, confirmed the ceasefire deal in remarks to Russia's Interfax news agency, but he said no definitive agreement had been reached on the breadth of the demilitarized zone. He told Interfax the distance could range between 10 and 13 miles. Ceasefire deals have been reached before in eastern Ukraine, only to be swiftly violated. There are concerns that any efforts to impose a ceasefire in the Luhansk region could be derailed by infighting among separatist forces. (Read more Ukraine stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X