Along with confirming the death of their only daughter today, Kayla Mueller's parents have released the last letter she wrote to them while in the hands of ISIS. It begins, "Everyone, If you are receiving this letter it means I am still detained but my cell mates (starting from 11/2/2014) have been released. I have asked them to contact you + send you this letter." Standout portions of the letter, which the New York Times has published in full:
- "It's hard to know what to say. Please know that I am in a safe location, completely unharmed + healthy (put on weight in fact); I have been treated w/ the utmost respect + kindness."
- "I could only but write the letter a paragraph at a time, just the thought of you all sends me into a fit of tears."
- "If you could say I have 'suffered' at all throughout this whole experience it is only in knowing how much suffering I have put you all through; I will never ask you to forgive me as I do not deserve forgiveness."
- "I miss you all as if it has been a decade of forced separation. ... I have had many hours to think how only in your absence have I finally @ 25 years old come to realize your place in my life."
- "The gift that is each one of you + the person I could + could not be if you were not a part of my life, my family, my support. I DO NOT want the negotiations for my release to be your duty, if there is any other option take it, even if it takes more time."
- "I am not breaking down + I will not give in no matter how long it takes. ... I know you would want me to remain strong. That is exactly what I am doing. Do not fear for me, continue to pray as will I + by God's will we will be together soon."
- She closes: "All my everything, Kayla"
(Read more Kayla Mueller