Would Donald Trump use Cinco de Mayo to shore up his historically awful favorability numbers with Latino voters? You better believe it! The presumptive Republican nominee tweeted a photo of himself eating a taco salad Thursday along with the message "Happy #CincoDeMayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!" Politico reports the "taco fiesta" was the special of the day at Trump Tower, where $13.50 bought you "ground sautéed beef with jalapeños, onions, tomatoes, and chili spices served in a taco shell topped with lettuce and cheddar cheese." Trump's tweet, understandably, brought a cavalcade of takes:
- “My conclusion is either Donald Trump is completely clueless or he is the greatest troll in the history of the Internet," a spokesperson for the National Council of La Raza tells Politico.
- "Holy guacamole, what a dipshit," tweets Dennis Hollingsworth, a former GOP senator in California.
- The Washington Post got serious: "Hispanics, like black Americans, are this other group to which Trump tries to appeal, not part of the communal group of Americans that are included when he says 'we.'"
- "Would that we all could pivot so deliciously to the general," tweets journalist Scott Tobias.
- An Eater NY review of Trump Tower's taco bowl from January found it "so devoid of flavor, it rendered an insult to Mexicans every bit as profound as Trump’s previous pronouncements."
- "'Jesus. All I did was ride in a tank.' -- Mike Dukakis," tweets comedy writer Chris Regan.
- USA Today helpfully points out the taco salad actually originated in the States.
- Author Mat Johnson tweets: "Who knew America disintegrating would be so funny?"
- "A taco bowl is just a taco with a big, beautiful wall around it," tweets Washington Post reporter Karen Tumulty.
- Slate states: "How did he forgot the sombrero? Where's the mariachi band? Does he want to win or not?"
- "holy smokes i never once thought about how much fun watching trump grovel for the coloured vote is gonna be," tweets Greg Howard of the New York Times.
(Read more Donald Trump