A beaming bride and some really honest shoppers were among the good-news stories of the week to make headlines:
- 86-Year-Old Bride Has Love Story for the Ages: An 86-year-old grandmother has become something of a Facebook sensation after she posted pictures from her wedding day last weekend. It's not just that Millie Taylor-Morrison found love again well after her first husband of 41 years died in 1992, but that she is such a "radiant bride," as one observer puts it. No wonder the groom teared up.
- Bar Owner Leaves Thank-You Notes on Cars Left Overnight: Paula Grzelak-Schultz returned to her car the morning after a night of drinking to see what we all fear: a slip of paper on the windshield. Except this wasn't a ticket—it was a letter from the bar in Sherwood Park, Canada, in whose lot she was parked. The owners weren't angry: They thanked her not drinking and driving, and added a bonus.
- Couple Returns $10K in Cash Found in Shopping Cart: A couple shopping in upstate New York found $9,800 in twenties, fifties, and hundreds that was left in a shopping cart at a Tractor Supply Co. They could have easily walked away with it. Instead, they turned it in to the store, anonymously, and it was soon returned to its rightful owner. And yes, there's a logical explanation for how the money was left behind.
- Swimmer Treads Water for 4 Hours, Is Rescued: It's not news when a man walks into his wife's embrace on a beach. It is news when that embrace occurs after he's been treading water for four hours in the ocean after getting swept away by rip currents in dense fog. A helicopter finally spotted him, and a buoy helped save him.
- Bush Letter to Clinton Resurfaces: It's been a rough election year, and this week a 1993 letter from George HW Bush to Bill Clinton resurfaced and went viral—as a reminder that civility isn't impossible in politics. "Your success now is our country's success," wrote Bush after losing the election. "I am rooting hard for you." Twitter was impressed.
Click to read more uplifting news
. (Read more uplifting news