With at least 50 dead, Sunday night's mass shooting in Las Vegas becomes the deadliest such shooting in US history, reports NBC News. Authorities still haven't speculated on a motive for 64-year-old gunman Stephen Paddock, who is dead. The death toll now eclipses that of the shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fla., reports Time, which provides a list of the deadliest assaults. The worst six:
- Las Vegas: The death toll of 50 could yet rise given that hundreds more were injured in Sunday's attack.
- Orlando, Fla.: On June 12, 2016, a gunman opened fire at the Pulse nightclub, killing 49, per the AP.
- Virginia Tech: On April 17, 2007, a 23-year-old student at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., killed 32 people.
- Newtown, Conn.: On Dec. 14, 2012, Adam Lanza killed 26 at Sandy Hook Elementary School. All but six were children.
- Killeen, Texas: On Oct. 16, 1991, George Hennard crashed his pickup into a restaurant, then fatally shot 23 people before killing himself.
- San Ysidro, Calif.: On July 18, 1984, a fired security guard killed 21 workers and customers at a McDonald's.
(Read more mass shootings