X

Brennan Says He'll Fight Trump on Security Clearance

'I am going to do whatever I can personally to try to prevent these abuses in the future'
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 20, 2018 2:29 AM CDT
Updated Aug 20, 2018 5:57 AM CDT
Former CIA Director John Brennan testifies before the House Intelligence Committee Russia Investigation Task Force last year.   (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Former CIA director John Brennan says he plans to fight back against President Trump's revoking of his security clearance, which he considers an attempt to intimidate him and other current and former government officials, the Guardian reports. Brennan told NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday that he has contacted lawyers and is considering taking Trump to court. "I am going to do whatever I can personally to try to prevent these abuses in the future, and if it means going to court, I will do that," he said. He added that even if his reputation is being dragged through the mud, it's a small price to pay "to prevent Donald Trump from doing this against other people."

Brennan described himself as "having a bull's eye" on his chest and defended some of the statements that angered Trump, including his description of Trump's behavior at the Helsinki summit with Vladimir Putin as "treasonous," reports the Washington Post. Trump allies including Sen. Ron Johnson defended him on other Sunday talk shows, while Rudy Giuliani said he'd welcome a Brennan lawsuit. "I would volunteer to do that case for the president. I would love to have Brennan under oath," Giuliani said. "We will find out about Brennan, and we will find out what a terrible job he did." (A dozen former top security officials have signed a letter condemning Trump's action.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
14%
7%
2%
44%
1%
32%