X

Manafort Cuts a Deal With Prosecutors

The former Trump campaign chair will avoid a second trial
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Sep 14, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Manafort, Prosecutors Reach 'Cooperation Agreement'
In this May 23, 2018, file photo, Paul Manafort, President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, leaves the Federal District Court after a hearing, in Washington.   (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)

(Newser) – Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort has cut a "cooperation agreement" with prosecutors and intends to plead guilty to charges related to his Ukrainian consulting work, the AP reports. The deal allows Manafort to avoid a second trial that had been scheduled to start next week in Washington. Manafort was convicted last month of eight financial crimes in a separate trial in Virginia. Prosecutor Andrew Weissman said in court Friday that Manafort had struck a "cooperation agreement." He did not elaborate on the agreement. Manafort told the judge he wants to plead guilty. Manafort's second trial would have been related to Ukrainian political consulting work, including failing to register as a foreign agent. (Read more Paul Manafort stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X