Police in Colorado still haven't found 29-year-old Kelsey Berreth, missing since Thanksgiving, but they've apparently had a break in the case they are now treating as a murder investigation. Police arrested her fiance, Patrick Frazee, at his home Friday morning, and court documents suggest authorities think he not only planned Berreth's murder but had some help. The details:
- The arrest: Authorities have not filed formal charges against Frazee, but they expect to do so within 10 days. Instead, he was arrested on an investigation of first-degree murder and solicitation to commit first-degree murder, reports ABC News.
- Had help? A solicitation charge suggests a suspect contacted someone else about the killing, and as the Denver Post explains, it would mean he did more than simply ask a question. “You’ve actually done something to show firmness in what you intend to do,” says 4th Judicial District Attorney Dan May. So far, no other arrests have been made.
- Evidence: Police did not provide details, but they say they now think Berreth was killed inside her own home on Thanksgiving Day and "recovered a number of items" to buttress that view, said Woodland Park Police Chief Miles De Young, per KOAA. However, he said he did not want to speculate on where Berreth's body might be. “As you can tell from the arrest, sadly, we do not believe Kelsey is still alive,” he said.
- Idaho clue: Berreth was seen on surveillance video inside a grocery store near her home about noon on Nov. 22, Thanksgiving. She had her 1-year-old daughter with her. Frazee told police he picked up the child from Berreth later that afternoon. Texts were sent from her phone on Nov. 25, and police later determined the phone had been about 800 miles away in Idaho. The phone has not been recovered.
- Her daughter: The 1-year-old girl is the daughter of Berreth and Frazee, and the girl will live with Berreth's relatives, reports the AP.
- Earlier search: Police previously had searched Frazee's 35-acre property near Florissant and used a backhoe for digging, but they did not find Berreth.
(A legally blind Michigan woman is missing in Peru