Chris Wallace of Fox News has not been shy about voicing his criticism of President Trump, and he delivered a strong rebuke Wednesday night. "I believe that President Trump is engaged in the most direct sustained assault on freedom of the press in our history," Wallace said during a speech at the Newseum media museum in DC, reports Mediaite. His assertion was met with applause, and Wallace wasn't done. Trump "has done everything he can to undercut the media, to try and delegitimize us, and I think his purpose is clear: to raise doubts when we report critically about him and his administration that we can be trusted."
Wallace, the son of 60 Minutes icon Mike Wallace, also said the president's attacks on the media have taken a toll, reports the Guardian. He cited a poll showing that nearly a third of Americans think the First Amendment goes too far and that about three-quarters of people say "fake news" poses a threat to democracy. Last month, Trump went after Wallace on a personal basis after declaring that Wallace conducted a "dumb and unfair" interview with House Minority Whip Steve Scalise. (The president hasn't been happy with Fox's news coverage of late.)