Test your indie chops, courtesy of Esquire, which rounds up the five best tunes you probably didn’t hear this year:
- “Jingle Bells,” Julian Koster: There's not a single bell in this holiday classic, just a harrowing singing saw.
- “One Last Round,” Ron Sexsmith: Sharp commentary on American consumption never sounded so melodic. Now go buy it.
- “Grounds for Divorce,” Elbow: Zeppelin’s tour never got off the ground, but your foot won’t have the same problem with this hoof-stomping toast to a departed friend.
- “She Left Me for Jesus,” Hayes Carll: Threats to the savior’s corporal well-being didn’t amuse station programmers.
- “Auctioneer,” The Broken West: Charming yarn about intimidating chanteuse, complete with piano and tambourines.
(Read more Ron Sexsmith