Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,681,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Bad Wig Bandit' Hitting Banks in NC
FBI looking for help in North Carolina
- The FBI is asking the public's help in catching a so-called “bad wig bandit” who's been robbing banks in North Carolina, per the AP . The FBI says the suspect wore a different wig during each heist in the Charlotte area. One wig was blonde. Another was black....
Wells Fargo: Ex-Worker Took $88K From Vault
Suspect Arlando M. Henderson allegedly posted on social media about his newfound riches
- Federal authorities are accusing a former Wells Fargo employee of stealing more than $88,000 in cash from the vault of a bank in North Carolina, the AP reports. An indictment unsealed this week alleges 29-year-old Arlando M. Henderson took the cash from customer deposits on at least 18 occasions...
Cops: Bank Robber Told Teller He Had Given Him Too Much
Florida man said he only wanted $1.1K
- Sandy Hawkins is an unusual bank robbery suspect in several ways: He is 73 years old, he said he wanted to be caught—and he told the teller he had given him too much money, police say. The Florida man is accused of robbing a Boca Raton branch of Wells...
Day Before Wedding, Woman Tells Fiance to Turn Himself In
She saw an online post apparently showing him robbing a bank to pay for ring, venue
- Coming up with the cash to pay for a wedding can be a stressful endeavor, and in a case out of Texas, it turned out to be a criminal endeavor for a groom-to-be. ABC News reports that Heath Edward Bumpous was arrested and charged with aggravated robbery after a Friday...
FBI Seeks 'Mummy Marauder'
Man wrapped in gauze robbed Texas bank
- The FBI's Houston office is trying to catch a bank robber dubbed the "Mummy Marauder" before the city's news outlets can use the headline "The Mummy Returns." The FBI says the robber had white gauze wrapped around his face and arms when he robbed the...
John Dillinger's Remains Will Soon Be Exhumed
Nephew gets the OK to disinter dead bank robber
- After John Dillinger was gunned down by FBI agents upon leaving a Chicago theater in 1934, thousands waited in line to see his body in a Chicago morgue; nearly 10,000 more did the same upon his body's return to Mooresville, Indiana. Now, what's left of that body...
FBI Captures 'Pink Lady Bandit'
The woman allegedly robbed 4 banks across the East Coast in one week
- In less than a week, a woman the FBI dubbed the "Pink Lady Bandit" robbed four East Coast banks, but on Sunday, she was caught. The FBI says the suspect carried a "distinctive pink handbag" during at least two of the robberies—hence the nickname. Her modus operandi...
Cops: Dying Bank Robber Robbed Banks 9 Days After Release
He told judge he wanted to spend time with family
- At an April 29 sentencing hearing, convicted bank robber Jamie Frierson pleaded for leniency, saying he was dying of colon cancer and wanted to spend the little time he has left with his family. He was released after being sentenced to time served—and he robbed a bank nine days...
Cops: Ex-Chief Wounded After Second Bank Robbery
2 SC deputies shot at suspect after car chase
- A former South Carolina police chief on probation for robbing a bank in 2017 is accused of robbing another bank and leading authorities on a car chase that ended when he was shot at and wounded, the AP reports. Former Williamston police chief Richard Edward Inman was charged last week...
Northernmost Inhabited Area Just Had Its First Bank Robbery
Congratulations (?), Svalbard
- There's a first time for everything, and this week in a remote Norwegian archipelago, that first was a bank robbery. The
reports an armed man pulled off the feat in Svalbard, located in the Arctic Ocean just a tad over 600 miles from the North Pole and said...
He Hit a $19M Jackpot. Then Everything Went Wrong
Jim Hayes eventually went bankrupt and turned to robbing banks
- You know those stories about people who strike it rich in the lottery, only to see their lives spiral out of control? Meet Exhibit A, Jim Hayes. At the Daily Beast , Natalie O'Neill recounts the crazy rags-to-riches-to-rags tale. In 1998, the 35-year-old Californian was working as a security guard...
Would-Be Bank Robber Balks, Asks to Open Account Instead
Unfortunately, he was lacking the proper ID to do so
- A would-be bank robber turned into a would-be bank customer Friday afternoon, police say. The suspect walked into a Bayonne, NJ, bank and handed a teller a note demanding "all the money." But as the teller read the note, he snatched it back and said he wanted to...
Lottery Winner Pleads Guilty to Robbing Multiple Banks
James Hayes won $19M jackpot in 1998
- James Hayes was working the graveyard shift as a security guard supervisor in 1998 when he hit California's SuperLotto jackpot, CBS Los Angeles reports. On Thursday—20 years after becoming a multimillionaire overnight—the 55-year-old Hayes pleaded guilty to bank robbery. Hayes was arrested in October while living in...
Cops: Suspect Took Cab Away From Bank Robbery
'Getaway driver' called police after seeing photo
- Police in West Virginia say a suspected bank robber was captured after taking a cab to the heist. Ryan Michael Stepanian was arrested in Monday's robbery of a Charles Town bank and another bank heist Friday in nearby Ranson, the AP reports. Cab driver George Lyon says he took...
Vegas Shooter's 'Psychopathic' Father Became 'Bingo Bruce'
Benjamin Paddock was a bank robber who escaped prison and opened a bingo parlor
- One of the more unusual details to emerge about Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock is that his father was a bank robber who spent about a decade on the FBI's most wanted list. In fact, Benjamin Paddock also had a history with Vegas: In 1960 FBI agents arrested him...
The Snowbird Bandit: a Good Cop Who Broke Bad
A decorated LAPD detective became a bank robber in his 70s
- “Seventy-one years of goodness and four months of idiot," Randy Adair says from the visiting room of a federal prison in California. The retired Los Angeles Police Department detective is serving a seven-year prison sentence for a string of bank robberies in 2015.
Los Angeles Magazine
'AK-47 Bandit' May Have Finally Been Caught, Thanks to Call With Mom
Richard Gathercole was arrested on other charges, then linked to string of heists
- Richard Gathercole was arrested June 20 after he allegedly tried to shoot a Kansas state trooper who was attempting to pull him over due to an obscured vehicle registration. But thanks to a phone call with his mother from jail, authorities now believe Gathercole is also responsible for more—much...
Failed Financial Adviser Robs Banks in Old-Man Mask: Cops
Abraham Maghen allegedly stole nearly $12K before being caught
- Perhaps hoping to blend into Florida's geriatric population, a 24-year-old man allegedly robbed two banks in the Sunshine State this week while disguised as an old man. Authorities say Abraham Maghen brandished a gun while wearing an old-person mask at a bank in Pembroke Pines on May 2 and...
Bank Robber Used His Own Debit Card
Before warning the teller, 'Don't make a mistake'
- A man entered a San Diego bank on May 13 and demanded money from a teller, saying, "You're being robbed. Don't make a mistake." He's probably kicking himself over his own gaffe, which helped send him to prison for three years and 10 months as...
'Harry Potter' Busted Robbing Muggle Banks: Cops
Lookalike suspect in 6 bank robberies arrested
- Washington state police say they've nabbed a suspected bank robber who resembles a certain boy wizard, and who they say has a not-so-magical history of busting into banks. Police and the FBI say Caleb Andrew Dierlam, 20, is the "Harry Potter Bandit" responsible for at least six bank...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Big Consequences for White Woman Who Called Cops on Black Man
LeBron Posts Photo of Kaepernick: 'Do You Understand NOW?'
Judge Banned After Telling Woman to 'Close Your Legs'
Research Changes Narrative of First Outbreak in US
China Does Something It Hasn't Done on Everest in 60 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.