Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Arizona Death Row Inmate
Won't Die in Gas Chamber
May 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Arizona Death Row Inmate Won't Die in Gas Chamber
Frank Atwood is now scheduled to be executed by lethal injection
Arizona death-row inmate Frank Atwood had until 12:01am Friday to select whether he wanted to die via lethal injection or in the state's refurbished gas chamber. He declined to make a choice, so the state's default method—lethal injection—will be used on June 8. It...
'Zero to Singapore on This':
Disabled Man Is Hanged
Apr 27, 2022 3:30 AM CDT
'Zero to Singapore on This': Disabled Man Is Hanged
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade
- Singapore on Wednesday executed a mentally disabled Malaysian man condemned for a drug offense after a court dismissed a last-minute challenge from his mother and international pleas to spare him. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, 34, had been on death row for over a decade after he was convicted of trafficking about...
Lawmaker in Lucio Call: 'You're
Going to Wake Up on Thursday'
Apr 26, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Lawmaker in Lucio Call: 'You're Going to Wake Up on Thursday'
Phone call released between Jeff Leach, Texas mother of 14 after stay of execution announced
- One of the Texas lawmakers working hard behind the scenes to stop the execution of Melissa Lucio was the one who got to tell her about her stay on Monday, just two days before the 53-year-old mother of 14 was to be put to death, and KXAN now has audio...
For High-Profile Inmate on
Death Row, Time Is Short
Apr 25, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
For High-Profile Inmate on Death Row, Time Is Short
Melissa Lucio to be executed Wednesday despite big push for new trial
- Nearly half of the jurors who sentenced a Texas woman to die for the 2007 death of one of her 14 children have called for her upcoming execution to be halted and for her to get a new trial. Melissa Lucio, 52, is set to be executed Wednesday for the...
Texas Executes Its
Oldest Death Row Inmate
Apr 21, 2022 8:40 PM CDT
Texas Executes Its Oldest Death Row Inmate
As Tennessee issues temporary reprieve to an inmate there
- Texas’ oldest death row inmate was executed Thursday for killing a Houston police officer during a traffic stop nearly 32 years ago. Carl Wayne Buntion, 78, was executed at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the June 1990 fatal shooting of Houston police officer James Irby, a...
in case you missed it
Apr 3, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
A Notable Death Row Inmate Weds
Richard Glossip marries for the second time in prison
- Anti-death penalty advocate Lea Rodger says she is keenly aware of the realities facing her and Richard Glossip, who she married Tuesday inside the Oklahoma State Penitentiary where he sits on death row. Glossip, 59, already has narrowly escaped execution three times and could be the next man Oklahoma puts...
Singapore Decides This
Disabled Man Must Hang
Mar 29, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Singapore Decides This Disabled Man Must Hang
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, whose IQ is 69, loses final appeal over drug smuggling
- A Malaysian man with a mental disability lost a final legal appeal Tuesday against his death sentence in Singapore and faces execution soon, a lawyer and rights activists said. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam has been on death row for more than a decade for trying to smuggle less than 1.5...
Supreme Court Sides With
Death Row Inmate on Pastor
Mar 24, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With Death Row Inmate on Pastor
Texas' John Ramirez can have pastor present at death to pray aloud and touch him
- The Supreme Court on Thursday sided with a Texas death row inmate seeking to have his pastor be allowed to pray out loud and touch him during his execution. The high court's decision won't keep John Henry Ramirez from being executed, per the AP . But the justices in...
California to Shut Down
Largest Death Row in US
Jan 31, 2022 6:15 PM CST
California to Shut Down Largest Death Row in US
Newsom administration plans to transfer inmates from San Quentin to other prisons
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who three years ago placed a moratorium on executions, now is moving to dismantle the US' largest death row by moving all condemned inmates to other prisons within two years. Turning the section at San Quentin State Prison into a "positive, healing environment" is the...
After 2-Year Hiatus, Japan
Resumes 'Abhorrent' Practice
Dec 21, 2021 7:38 AM CST
After 2-Year Hiatus, Japan Resumes 'Abhorrent' Practice
3 death-row inmates executed amid continued controversy over how death penalty is carried out
- For two years, Japan hasn't carried out any executions. That changed Tuesday with the hanging of three death-row inmates, reviving outcry from human rights activists on the controversial way in which the country carries out capital punishment. At a presser, Justice Minister Yoshihisa Furukawa cited the "extremely brutal"...
Sister of Death Row Inmate
Makes Plea to Race Car Driver
Dec 2, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Sister of Death Row Inmate Makes Plea to Race Car Driver
She asks Lewis Hamilton to use his clout to free her sibling in Saudi Arabia
- The sister of a man who was sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia is asking seven-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton to help save her brother's life. Zeinab Abu Al-Kheir told the AP in a telephone interview that Hamilton's declaration two weeks ago in Qatar that F1 is...
Man Who Tortured
Family for 8 Hours
Put to Death
Nov 18, 2021 12:10 AM CST
Man Who Tortured Family for 8 Hours Put to Death
David Neal Cox killed his estranged wife and sexually assaulted her daughter
- A man who pleaded guilty to killing his estranged wife and sexually assaulting her young daughter as her mother lay dying was put to death Wednesday evening, becoming the first inmate executed in Mississippi in nine years. David Neal Cox, 50, abandoned all appeals and filed court papers calling himself...
Nov 9, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Sister Prejean: Let Inmate Have Final Human Touch
John Henry Ramirez deserves to have pastor present at Texas execution, she writes
- Sister Helen Prejean, the Catholic nun made famous by the book and movie
Dead Man Walking
, is making a public appeal on behalf of a death row inmate in Texas. In a
New York Times
essay, Prejean argues that the state should grant the request of John Henry Ramirez that...
Japan Inmates Sue to End
'Extremely Inhumane' Practice
Nov 5, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Japan Inmates Sue to End 'Extremely Inhumane' Practice
They want to be told in advance of their execution dates
- Every morning, in many cases for decades, condemned inmates in Japan wake up not knowing whether or not they will be hanged that day. Death row inmates are usually only notified of their execution a few hours in advance, but two of them are now challenging the practice in court,...
Judge Balks at Retrial
for Death Row's Rodney Reed
Nov 2, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Judge Balks at Retrial for Death Row's Rodney Reed
More than 20 witnesses implicated another man in 1996 murder in Texas
A Texas judge says a death row inmate backed by celebrities including Kim Kardashian West and Rihanna should not receive a new trial. The judge in Bastrop County said Rodney Reed—sentenced to death for the 1996 murder of a young woman—"has not proven by clear and...
Oct 29, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
At Oklahoma Execution, a Rare Occurrence
John Marion Grant vomited, convulsed as he was being put to death
- Oklahoma administered the death penalty Thursday on a man who convulsed and vomited as he was executed for the 1998 slaying of a prison cafeteria worker, ending a six-year execution moratorium brought on by concerns over its execution methods, the AP reports. John Marion Grant, 60, who was strapped to...
Death Row Inmates
Oct 28, 2021 12:21 AM CDT
2 Oklahoma Death Row Inmates Get Reprieve
Federal appeals court granted stays of execution Wednesday
- A federal appeals court granted stays of execution on Wednesday for two Oklahoma inmates who were scheduled to receive lethal injections in the coming weeks, the AP reports. A three-member panel of the 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals issued the stays for death row inmates John Marion Grant, who...
After a Brief Reprieve,
Alabama Inmate Executed
Oct 22, 2021 1:40 AM CDT
After a Brief Reprieve, Alabama Inmate Executed
Willie B. Smith III was convicted of killing Sharma Ruth Johnson
An Alabama man who avoided execution in February was put to death Thursday for the 1991 killing of a woman who was abducted during a robbery and then shot in a cemetery. Willie B. Smith III, 52, received a lethal injection at a prison in southwest Alabama, the AP...
Death Row Inmate Suing for
a Final Touch Gets Reprieve
Sep 9, 2021 1:56 AM CDT
Death Row Inmate Suing for a Final Touch Gets Reprieve
Supreme Court blocks John Henry Ramirez's execution
- A Texas death row inmate won a reprieve Wednesday evening from execution for killing a convenience store worker during a 2004 robbery that garnered $1.25 after claiming the state was violating his religious freedom by not letting his pastor lay hands on him at the time of his lethal...
He Has Eaten 3 Last Meals,
Is Fighting to Avoid No. 4
Sep 5, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
He Has Eaten 3 Last Meals, Is Fighting to Avoid No. 4
'Rolling Stone' looks at the case of Richard Glossip in Oklahoma
- How close has Richard Glossip come to execution? He has eaten the same "last meal" three different times, writes Brenna Ehrlich at
. For the record: fish and chips, a Baconator sandwich from Wendy's, pizza, and a strawberry shake. Each time, Glossip has won a late stay...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.